View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Mike Mayock ranks Eric Fisher over Luke Joeckel 

Should the Dolphins trade up for Joeckel if he falls out of the top 5?
Yes 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
No 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 5

Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Mike Mayock ranks Eric Fisher over Luke Joeckel
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/ ... ric-fisher
Quote:
He's got the physical capabilities -- 6'7, 306 pounds -- the athleticism -- he showed well in the broad jump and shuttle at the combine -- and as scouts have found, the natural instincts and moves of an elite left tackle prospect - perhaps better than Joeckel, a guy who's always been considered can't miss. Not bad for a guy who was just a 2-star tackle out of high school.

Maybe the Dolphins will luck out?

If the Chiefs take a defender, and the Eagles fall in love with Fisher instead of Joeckel, then there is a good chance the Dolphins could move up and snag Joeckel somewhere in the top ten.

If this scenario happens, and Joeckel slides out of the top five, should the Dolphins trade up to get him?

Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:53 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Mike Mayock ranks Eric Fisher over Luke Joeckel
I am no expert on this years draft in terms of grading these offensive lineman and it is my understanding from reading the NFL Analysts that neither Fisher or Joeckel nor Johnson were of the caliber of a healthy Jake Long's talent, IF that is truly the case, then I say no way you trade for either. The only one would be Johnson and that is if he starts inching closer to Miami's draft slot and then perhaps you give up a 5th to move a "couple" of spots.

Ireland has worked hard to position Miami well with multiple draft picks and it would seem that you would possibly be parting with way too much to do this. Just my opinion. PLENTY of good picks if Miami stays put or even moves out a few spots and gets another good pick etc.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:05 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

i think they are all equal if not better than Jake Long.
Mayock said that all 3 can be as good as Joe Thomas.
And Joe Thomas has always been better than Jake Long.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:15 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Finhead34 wrote:
I am no expert on this years draft in terms of grading these offensive lineman and it is my understanding from reading the NFL Analysts that neither Fisher or Joeckel nor Johnson were of the caliber of a healthy Jake Long's talent, IF that is truly the case, then I say no way you trade for either. The only one would be Johnson and that is if he starts inching closer to Miami's draft slot and then perhaps you give up a 5th to move a "couple" of spots.

Ireland has worked hard to position Miami well with multiple draft picks and it would seem that you would possibly be parting with way too much to do this. Just my opinion. PLENTY of good picks if Miami stays put or even moves out a few spots and gets another good pick etc.

I think the cost in terms of points would require the Dolphins to give up a 2nd to move to 6th overall, a 3rd to move to 8th overall, and a 4th to move to 10th overall. If Joeckel is there at 6, would you pull the trigger considering how well our staff knows him? Or would you rather wait until 8 or 10 to get Johnson? Or would you pass on all three altogether and go after a playmaker?

Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:21 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:

If our staff thinks that each of these three guys has the potential to be equal to a Joe Thomas or healthy Jake Long, then moving up is a no brainer in my opinion. Go get one of these guys.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:22 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

wkloiber13 wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

If our staff thinks that each of these three guys has the potential to be equal to a Joe Thomas or healthy Jake Long, then moving up is a no brainer in my opinion. Go get one of these guys.

completely agree. All the draft analysts are in agreement that these 3 guys are among the best 8 or 9 players in this draft. They aren't reaches.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:25 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

swerve13 wrote:

We need to be fair to Jake Long here. If you want to say these kids are better than Jake Long NOW, that fine. But when he was healthy, which was 2-3 years ago, he was probably the best OLT in the game.

Thomas was a better pass protector, but Long was far and away a better run blocker and Jake was very solid as a pass protector.

I have read comments from ProFootball Weekly about both Fisher and Johnson being vulnerable to POWER. Sounds familiar?

Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:27 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

We need to be fair to Jake Long here. If you want to say these kids are better than Jake Long NOW, that fine. But when he was healthy, which was 2-3 years ago, he was probably the best OLT in the game.

Thomas was a better pass protector, but Long was far and away a better run blocker and Jake was very solid as a pass protector.

I have read comments from ProFootball Weekly about both Fisher and Johnson being vulnerable to POWER. Sounds familiar?

Excellent response Tony, very well said.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:28 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Jake was never quite as good as Joe.
And now Thomas and Clady are better tackles than him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_ ... ft-tackles

these rankings are from 2011 and Thomas is still playing at a high level while Long has declined.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:39 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/ ... joe-thomas

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 143AAW8OD3

Another couple of links referencing the Long vs. Thomas opinions. WHEN Jake is healthy it is fair to say he is as good as Thomas and Thomas is as good as Long. Of course, if you compare an unhealthy Long it isn't going to stick.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:47 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2 ... matt-kalil

Sporting News says no doubt that Joe Thomas is the best tackle drafted the past 5 years

Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:49 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

If you are basing it on who was more healthy and productive it was Thomas. Long has been battling too many injuries, however, I would still stand behind Long if he was 100%.

This really doesn't matter though since Long is no longer with the Dolphins and I still also stand behind the fact that a healthy long had more talent than the offensive lineman coming out this year.

Jake Long was a beast at Michigan. Period.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:53 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

swerve13 wrote:
Jake was never quite as good as Joe.
And now Thomas and Clady are better tackles than him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_ ... ft-tackles

these rankings are from 2011 and Thomas is still playing at a high level while Long has declined.

Disagree, and I will leave it at that. Also, I know Thomas and Clady are better than Jake NOW. But like I said, 2, especially 3 years ago, NO.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:16 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

I've heard the same things about Johnson needing a season to build upper body power, which makes sense seeing as how he's a converted tightend. I'm hoping one of two scenarios plays out. 1. Jonathan Martin has put on some upper body strength and is ready to play LT this year and we draft Lane Johnson at 12 to take over at RT. or 2. Joeckel slips, we trade up to get him, he plays LT, and we slide Martin back over to RT. If one of these two scenarios plays out, then I'll be very happy on draft day.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]