View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Are the Dolphins looking to trade up in 1st round? 
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Are the Dolphins looking to trade up in 1st round?
We are now 18 days away from the 2013 NFL Draft, and to say I am getting excited about the draft coming up is an understatement. I think Jeff Ireland has done a great job of adding young talent to the Miami roster via free agency, and has put Miami in a position to go in a lot of different directions with their first round pick.

With that said, there is starting to be a ground swell of thinking that Miami will possibly look to move up in the 1st round, presumably to take on of the Elite OLT in this draft. Texas A & M OLT Luke Joeckel, Central Michigan OLT Eric Fisher and Oklahoma OLT Lane Johnson are considered the elite OLT in this draft. Daniel Jeremiah of the NFL Network has openly speculated about the Dolphins moving up as well as Palm Beach Post writer Ben Volin.

Miami lost OLT Jake Long to the St. Louis Rams and are right now looking to move ORT Jonathan Martin to the OLT spot, a position he manned the last 4 games of the season when Long got hurt. The results of the move during the last 4 games were mixed. Martin would be moving back to his natural positon of OLT, the position he played while at Stanford, but as mentioned, the results were mixed in his performance during the season. The biggest issue BY FAR for Martin was dealing with POWER. He got bull rushed on many occasion and that has to be the biggest concern about Jonathan as we go into the 2013 season.

Now, there is no question that Martin is a very smart young man and he realizes what he has to do to improve, and there have been pictures of him pulling semis to try to improve his lower body strength and power. Do the Dolphins believe in Jonathan enough to not pull the trigger to move up in the draft to grab one of the so called Elite 3? The next few weeks will bring PLENTY of rumors, with this particular one being a hot subject not only on the Phinfever boards, but nationally as well.

I will go ahead and state right now that I do not believe the Dolphins will pursue Kansas City OLT Brandon Albert in a trade, as not only will you have to give up a premium pick, but you also have to give Albert a massive contract.

IF Miami does trade up, I think Oakland at #3 and Cleveland at #6 would be the most likely trade partners. If the Raiders are the partners, then you can look for Miami to take either Joeckel or Fisher. If it's Cleveland, then Johnson is the target.

I have an interesting trade sceanrio as well. Miami could still use their 1st round pick, the 12th pick to take an impact player. They could then trade BACK into the 1st round to take the player with possibly the most upside of the entire offensive line personnel in this draft, OLT Menelik Watson of Florida State. Green Bay has been most associated with Watson, so it would mean getting back into the mid twenties to get Watson. The bounty of picks would be less punative than at that point in my opinion.

But then again, this is all speculation. DO the Dolphins believe that Jonathan Martin can man the OLT position and protect QB Ryan Tannehill's blindside? The answer to that question could set many things in motion.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:10 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Are the Dolphins looking to trade up in 1st round?
Nice post!

DO the Dolphins believe that Jonathan Martin can man the OLT position and protect QB Ryan Tannehill's blindside?

Right now in my opinion, absolutely not. Right side, yes, but even then STILL needs to get a lot stronger. Hopefully, Miami's strength and conditioning coach is all over him as the number one project to get stronger.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:21 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

thats why I'm done making mock picks for the Dolphins this year. Because I was convinced 2 weeks ago that they will trade up for tackle, and then there is no way to tell which picks we have left. We filled most of our needs already so we're still gonna have plenty of picks to get a pass rusher, a receiver and 2 corners.

I think we could take the field today without making a single pick and be a competitive team. The last "MUST" to add is a left tackle.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:59 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I don't think they would try to trade for Oakland's pick at 3 but I do think they will look at the cost to move up to Cleveland's pick at 6 to grab Johnson. I think it would only cost an additional 2nd round pick to move from 12 to 6 but it would be multiple picks to move up to 3. And I do think it is just a likely a possibility to use the 12th pick in the first on a DE or DB and then package picks to move back into the 1st to grab a late 1st round OT. I do expect Miami to be involved in a trade or two during the draft. A lot of the free agents Miami signed this season are on 1 year contracts so Miami needs to keep as many of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks as they can to add future depth. Ireland hasn't been very successful at that in the past but I am hopeful Philbin will be involved and have a lot of input.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:40 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

bobby0112 wrote:
I don't think they would try to trade for Oakland's pick at 3 but I do think they will look at the cost to move up to Cleveland's pick at 6 to grab Johnson. I think it would only cost an additional 2nd round pick to move from 12 to 6 but it would be multiple picks to move up to 3. And I do think it is just a likely a possibility to use the 12th pick in the first on a DE or DB and then package picks to move back into the 1st to grab a late 1st round OT. I do expect Miami to be involved in a trade or two during the draft. A lot of the free agents Miami signed this season are on 1 year contracts so Miami needs to keep as many of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks as they can to add future depth. Ireland hasn't been very successful at that in the past but I am hopeful Philbin will be involved and have a lot of input.

Personally, I hope the Dolphins don't trade up. You mentioned a very valid point about the Dolphins signing some of the free agents they signed to 1 year contract in Brent Grimes and Dustin Keller along with Lance Louis.

Also, if the rumors of Miami looking to move up to get a tackle is out there, then San Diego has to be looking to try to do something as well. Plus, Detroit REALLY could use an OLT themselves and some of the personnel on the NFL Network are starting to mock OLT to the Lions.

I think Terron Armstead could be a really good OLT, and I am a big fan of Menelik Watson. You could trade back into the 1st round to get him if need be and the compensation would not be as steep.

But it is hard to ignore the buzz of Miami looking to trade up. Time will tell.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:56 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Finhead34 wrote:
Nice post!

DO the Dolphins believe that Jonathan Martin can man the OLT position and protect QB Ryan Tannehill's blindside?

Right now in my opinion, absolutely not. Right side, yes, but even then STILL needs to get a lot stronger. Hopefully, Miami's strength and conditioning coach is all over him as the number one project to get stronger.

I share the same opinion. I really hope the kid tremendously improves his strength over the off season, but regardless I do not have faith in him to man the LT position this upcoming season. He got bullied too consistently for my liking, the offensive line is a very hard puzzle to solve right now with other appealing options in the 1st as well.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:08 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Finhead34 wrote:
Nice post!

I agree, unless Martin has put on considerable upper body strength this offseason, there is no reason to believe that he's capable of being Jake Long's replacement.

From what I've been seeing develop, I could see a scenario where the Dolphins get Joeckel from A&M. The Chiefs will likely be stuck with Albert and take a defender at #1 overall. The Eagles very well could fall in love with Fisher over Joeckel (like some experts). There are reports that the Dolphins have already tested the waters to see what it would take to move up with someone like Cleveland at #6. They've also spent time "kicking the tires" on Joeckel.

If Joeckel slides to #6, and Cleveland is a willing trade partner (for say a 2nd round pick), then I think this deal gets done in a heartbeat. I know this would take a lot of "stars aligning", but I think this has a real shot of happening if the Dolphins are willing to trade up.

But if Joeckel isn't on the board, then I think the Dolphins will stay put at 12 and hope Johnson slides to them.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:44 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Miami will have to get in front of San Diego to get Johnson if Joeckel and Fisher are off the board. The Chargers just cut their OLT, so they most certainly have a need.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:51 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

phinsfansc wrote:
Miami will have to get in front of San Diego to get Johnson if Joeckel and Fisher are off the board. The Chargers just cut their OLT, so they most certainly have a need.

yes, the chargers have the need but we have the ammo to move up and they don't.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:23 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Boy, this is fun trying to read the Dolphin's minds on what they will do with this year's #12 pick.

I am excited and I don't believe Ireland's plan and motive/strategy is even close to being done as I truly believe he will be pointed on who he drafts and kids that could potentially plug in from day one.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:32 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Finhead34 wrote:
Boy, this is fun trying to read the Dolphin's minds on what they will do with this year's #12 pick.

I am excited and I don't believe Ireland's plan and motive/strategy is even close to being done as I truly believe he will be pointed on who he drafts and kids that could potentially plug in from day one.

Finhead I gotta believe that Ireland knows this draft has depth and that even if he uses some picks to move up for a dominant tackle, he knows he can still get 3 or 4 excellent prospects in the top 140 picks

Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:47 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Finhead34 wrote:

Jeff has done a great job of putting the Dolphins in position to be unpredictable, which is good because teams can't get a read on what you are looking to do.

I agree with swerve that this draft offers a lot of depth at positions that the Dolphins need to address. I am for keeping all of the picks so the Dolphins can add more talent to a 7-9 roster.

But if Ireland thinks that one of the so called Elite 3 is worth going up to get, I'm fine with it.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:13 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'm hoping Jonathan Martin shows up at camp in shape, more developed in his upper body, and ready to play LT. I'm also hoping we draft Lane Johnson at 12, and snag a couple of DBs, OL depth, and another receiver (TE or WR).

Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:19 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

It's gonna be crazy.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:27 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

phinsfansc wrote:
I think Terron Armstead could be a really good OLT,

I've mentioned on here a few times that I'm a big fan of Armstead. What I think they may do is take a pass rusher if one is available at 12 (say Bjoern Werner), trade back into the first round to grab a corner, then take their chances that they can get Armstead in the second.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:03 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Armstead's gonna be gone by pick 45, maybe even pick 40. It's a bit of a gamble hoping that he will be there for us our 2nd time around

Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:10 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:
Armstead's gonna be gone by pick 45, maybe even pick 40. It's a bit of a gamble hoping that he will be there for us our 2nd time around

Unfortunately, you're probably right there.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:13 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]