View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 PFT: If 'Fins Referendum fails, it may spell the end. 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post PFT: If 'Fins Referendum fails, it may spell the end.
Quote:
Owner Stephen Ross told Pro Football Talk last month in Arizona that the Dolphins won’t be moving, which necessarily reduces his leverage. But if he fails to secure partial public cooperation to improve a stadium that was built with private money more than 25 years ago, some think Ross will at least consider selling the team.

And if the sells the team, the next buyer could be less committed to keeping the Dolphins in Miami.

The other alternative would be for Ross to simply fund the renovations without public money. By blinking, however, Ross and the NFL would be setting a horrible precedent for any future efforts by other teams to finagle public money.

Quote:
Despite any philosophical concerns about the use of taxpayer money to subsidize billionaires, billionaires always have options. For Stephen Ross, one or more of those options could lead to the Dolphins leaving town.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... dum-fails/

I personally am not worried, but it would be nice to put all this crap to rest and get a deal finalized.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:15 am
2012 NFL Pick 'Em Champ
2012 NFL Pick 'Em Champ

Post Re: PFT: If 'Fins Referendum fails, it may spell the end.
This area cannot afford this. Schools cannot even afford to buy books. We have been duped into quite a few stadium and arena referendums over the years that its about time these billionaires fund these things themselves. This is all about getting super bowl 50. And if Ross sells it wont be a bad thing.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:35 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

How much money does the stadium bring in to the local economy of Miami? How much does a SuperBowl bring? Has anyone shown it to be a sound investment? Would a better stadium bring in more money, and if so how long would it take for the increase to be worth it to the local community?

Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:43 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator

The other alternative would be for Ross to simply fund the renovations without public money. By blinking, however, Ross and the NFL would be setting a horrible precedent for any future efforts by other teams to finagle public money.

The precedent should already be set, no tax payer money. Period.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:52 pm

Tampa got hosed and are held hostage by the Bucs. Downtown is dead during the Sunday home games.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:57 pm
Phinfever Radio Host/Blog Writer

Makchell wrote:

The only South Florida taxpayers that would be paying taxes for this are the ones that stay in South Florida hotels.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:57 pm

The only South Florida taxpayers that would be paying taxes for this are the ones that stay in South Florida hotels.

Cool, soak the the tourist that help support S. Florida's economy.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:55 pm

Makchell wrote:

Better than taxing South Florida residents.

Besides, many of these tourists would be coming from other countries and guess what... there are other cities that charge you an arm and a leg in "fees and taxes" for staying in hotels.

In South Florida, it is one of the lowest in the country.

They are proposing raising it by a penny.

It's not going to be the end of the world and only a portion of that additional penny tax is going to go to the stadium.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:57 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Makchell wrote:

Yeah its what happens in Florida and has for years, doesnt affect the tourism... Actually are steadily seeing increased numbers of people vacationing here...

Outsiders dont know, nor do they generally care how the state they visit operates... So long as the weather is warm and the beaches are nice they will come and spend...

Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:15 pm

10acjed wrote:
Makchell wrote:

Yeah its what happens in Florida and has for years, doesnt affect the tourism... Actually are steadily seeing increased numbers of people vacationing here...

Outsiders dont know, nor do they generally care how the state they visit operates... So long as the weather is warm and the beaches are nice they will come and spend...

Go check out the hotel taxes in Vegas.

Heck, I traveled to South Carolina on business recently and paid $18 in taxes for a one night stay.

And when I stayed in a hotel in Chicago for two nights, I paid over $40 in state and city taxes. Their hotel tax rate is 16.4%. We're talking about increasing it in Miami to 7% from 6%.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:04 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Taxing the tourists is smart. South Florida will always have a tourist crowd. I think the Dolphins need to do a better job of informing the residents. I knew about this already. But, a casual fan who lives down in S. Fla might think he or she is about to get hosed on the stadium deal.. Which isn't actually factually accurate.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:10 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:

Heck, I traveled to South Carolina on business recently and paid $18 in taxes for a one night stay.

And when I stayed in a hotel in Chicago for two nights, I paid over $40 in state and city taxes. Their hotel tax rate is 16.4%. We're talking about increasing it in Miami to 7% from 6%.

Chicago being in Illinois is in a state that is a Gov. tax heaven. Not real sure why anyone who works would want to live in that state.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:18 pm

Dphins4me wrote:
Rich wrote:

Chicago being in Illinois is in a state that is a Gov. tax heaven. Not real sure why anyone who works would want to live in that state.

The best part is Illinois is next in line behind California for most broke state.

On top of that, they have some of the toughest gun laws in the country and yet the murder rate in Chicago is through the roof.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:21 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Dphins4me wrote:
Rich wrote:

It's a burden about to be lifted. Moving back to North Carolina at the end of the month. Also, first post. Weeeeeeeeeee! I've been lurking for years now.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:06 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

This is a MuCH smaller scale, but the town I used to live in would put an item to a referendum 3x a year until it passed. There were 4 No votes on one issue until it passed. I imagine Ross could go down that path if he chose

Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:14 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

ChicagoPHIN wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
Rich wrote:

It's a burden about to be lifted. Moving back to North Carolina at the end of the month. Also, first post. Weeeeeeeeeee! I've been lurking for years now.

Welcome to Phinfever!!!

Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:11 pm

Looking over it, it's not that bad. Thanks for the education. In Tampa they raised the tax, but it was I believe 20 years or something stupid like that. Chicago is a joke, they mayor banned chic filet for expressing an opinion on gays. I guess Chicago doesn't believe in the 1st or 2nd adem.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:23 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:
Makchell wrote:

That's still money that should go to hospitals, schools, and police/fire departments

Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:40 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Stadium taxes on out-of-town visitors at hotels is nothing new. I can't count how many times I've traveled out of state and found myself paying a stadium tax at the hotel. In addition, a 1% hike is very small. If you consider the average person probably only spends a couple hundred dollars at the hotel, this means they would only spend about $2 at check out. The local community won't be hurt by this move at all in my eyes. It's a very modest request by the Dolphins.

My only question, is why the Dolphins aren't asking for more money to build a new stadium?

Ross is one of the wealthiest owners in the NFL, and one of his specialties is in real-estate development. While his plan is a very simple one, and one that allows him to keep the stadium competitive for the next 5 to 10 years for Super Bowl bids, its only a temporary fix. I think this is merely delaying the inevitable need for a new stadium to be built.

With demands rising constantly for Super Bowl bids, and new stadiums popping up around the country, I think the Dolphins need to step up their game and get on par with the rest of the NFL. Not only that, but what a great selling point a new stadium would be for Hurricane recruits. Between the Dolphins and Hurricanes I think Ross would have no trouble recouping his money over time.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:59 pm

TommyNoleFin wrote:
That's still money that should go to hospitals, schools, and police/fire departments

Does the current tax revenue from the tourism industry go to those things?

If not, then why should additional revenue do so? That's why we have a sales tax and exhorbitant property tax rates. As a homeowner, I help pay for hospitals, schools and other servies already.

Only a portion of the tax revenues will be going to the Dolphins.

The rest of the money will be going towards investing it back into the tourism industry, which will in turn help generate more tax revenue.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:33 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

ChicagoPHIN wrote:

Welcome, I hope your move is smooth. What part of NC?

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]