View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 Armando Salguero: Dolphins have questions about Lane Johnson 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Armando Salguero: Dolphins have questions about Lane Johnson
https://twitter.com/armandosalguero/sta ... 7066342402

Quote:
@ArmandoSalguero: The Dolphins really like Joekel and Fisher. But I KNOW they have questions about Johnson. So there's that.

Again, I'm just not buying the trade up for Johnson talk.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:56 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Armando Salguero: Dolphins have questions about Lane Johnson
Quote:
Super agent Drew Rosenhaus is "hearing from everyone" the Dolphins plan to use their first-round pick on an offensive tackle.
NFL.com's Ian Rapoport is hearing the same thing. The Palm Beach Post passed along last week that it "keep(s) hearing" the Dolphins will target Oklahoma LT Lane Johnson with their first pick, but that landing him would require trading up. Johnson is considered extremely unlikely to fall outside the top-ten. If Miami swings and misses on the triumvirate of Johnson, Luke Joeckel and Eric Fisher, it's far less likely it will use its day-one selection on a tackle.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:13 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Starting to wonder if Miami is floating rumors to either

A. drive down the price of Albert and swing a trade

B. create a panic amongst tackle needy teams to trade into the top 10 and force a player Miami really wants to drop to the 12th spot

Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:25 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Only position I'll be mad about is drafting another offensive lineman.

Sooo tired of mediocrity.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:27 pm

jammer wrote:

B. create a panic amongst tackle needy teams to trade into the top 10 and force a player Miami really wants to drop to the 12th spot

Bingo. Finally somebody else sees it.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:28 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

jammer wrote:

If that is the case, it would have to be either one of the defensive ends or Dee Milliner...

Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:31 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
jammer wrote:

If that is the case, it would have to be either one of the defensive ends or Dee Milliner...

I'd put my money on one of the DE. We'd like to get more pass rushers in there. That will help the CB situation a lot and afford us the ability to wait until Day 2 to draft another corner to go opposite Grimes.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:16 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:

I'm thinking a draft day trade has a good chance of happening. If the Chiefs take Joeckel 1st overall, then I think there is a good chance that someone makes a draft day offer for Albert. My guess is we could be one of those teams. Ireland will sit back, see if one of the three tackles falls to him, if not, he'll try to make a move to get Albert. Not a great plan, but also not a bad one. I think if we're patient we'll probably be able to get Albert for a mid-round pick. Not a bad deal if he's willing to sign long term and at a reasonable price. Or if things play in our favor and someone like Joeckel falls out of the top five, then I think Ireland will not hesitate to move up.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:08 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I am a big fan or ProFootballWeekly, and this is the write up they did on Lane in regards to the negatives.

"Has a thin lower body and can be challenged by power. Not explosive rolling off the ball and generating movement. Does not consistently finish blocks. Sets tall and will let defenders get underneath his pads. Can improve finishing strength--struggles some with power. Only a one year OLT starter."

As I have said MANY times, all these kids have their warts that need to be improved once they get to the pro game, and Lane has a lot of tools to work with. But the one thing that caught my attention and should concern some folks is the mention of struggling with POWER.

This was the book on Jonathan Martin coming out of Stanford, and we see this was very true with him his 1st year with the Dolphins.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:28 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
jammer wrote:

Dee Milliner would be the sexiest possible pick for us in this year's draft class IMO. Pairing him up with Brent Grimes, who seems to have recovered, could be extremely lethal.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:54 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
I am a big fan or ProFootballWeekly, and this is the write up they did on Lane in regards to the negatives.

"Has a thin lower body and can be challenged by power. Not explosive rolling off the ball and generating movement. Does not consistently finish blocks. Sets tall and will let defenders get underneath his pads. Can improve finishing strength--struggles some with power. Only a one year OLT starter."

As I have said MANY times, all these kids have their warts that need to be improved once they get to the pro game, and Lane has a lot of tools to work with. But the one thing that caught my attention and should concern some folks is the mention of struggling with POWER.

This was the book on Jonathan Martin coming out of Stanford, and we see this was very true with him his 1st year with the Dolphins.

Martin and Johnson are two different prospects. Martin's lack of power comes from his upper body, which was his knock coming out of school. They said he would need one season to develop strength before he'd be able to play OLT, but that he would be a day one starter at ORT. I'm sorry, but that critique was spot on. Martin was technically sound, but lacked upper body strength, and was a day one starter at ORT. Now these same things are being said of Johnson, except his lack of power is in his lower body. I've read many experts that say Johnson is a guy, similar to Martin, that needs one season at ORT to build strength, but he'll be able to handle starter duties from day one.
If our staff is confident in Martin's ability to transition full time to OLT this year, and they're encouraged by what he's done this offseason, then I think we could make a move to get Johnson and make him the ORT this year. While it would be nice to add a proven veteran like Albert, or move up to get an elite prospect like Joeckel, a player of Johnson's caliber is more than likely our cheapest and most reasonable option at this point.
I think that Ireland is going to make a push to lock down an elite left tackle to replace Jake Long, whether it be Albert or Joeckel, but at the end of the day there will be a plan "B". I think Johson is plan "B". But to tell you the truth it isn't a bad plan at all. The Dolphins need to find out what they've got in Martin. Johnson is a similar athletic type tackle that our staff will like and somebody that can motivate and push Martin.
If we're sitting at 12, Joeckel isn't there, and we can't make a reasonable deal to get Albert, then I'm 100% behind the Dolphins taking Johnson, but only if we get him at 10 or 12. I wouldn't give anything more than a 4th or 5th round pick to move up to get him. Beyond that, I'd rather have us look at someone like D.J. Fluker to play ORT.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:09 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Miami will not get Johnson at #12. Also, I don't care where you are having problems with a bull rush, either it be upper body or lower body, you are vulnerable to the bull rush.

Martin has gone thru that and is working on building his power base right now. I think the Dolphins are looking to go with Martin at OLT, regardless of how comfortable fans are with it.

There no way I can see the Dolphins ready to give up on a high 2nd round pick that was a OLT coming out of college and not give him a chance to man the position. As much as some may worry about it, I think the Dolphins look to give Martin the chance.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:16 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

phinsfansc wrote:
Miami will not get Johnson at #12. Also, I don't care where you are having problems with a bull rush, either it be upper body or lower body, you are vulnerable to the bull rush.

Martin has gone thru that and is working on building his power base right now. I think the Dolphins are looking to go with Martin at OLT, regardless of how comfortable fans are with it.

There no way I can see the Dolphins ready to give up on a high 2nd round pick that was a OLT coming out of college and not give him a chance to man the position. As much as some may worry about it, I think the Dolphins look to give Martin the chance.

If he hasn't done the work in the off-season to get stronger, he's not going to play. Philbin has made it pretty clear that you have to earn your time on the field, he doesn't care where you're drafted.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:22 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

same goes for Egnew

Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:05 am

swerve13 wrote:
same goes for Egnew

Egnew has been training in MMA with American Top Team.

Nothing will toughen you up more than grappling with black belts in jujitsu.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:27 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
same goes for Egnew

Egnew has been training in MMA with American Top Team.

Nothing will toughen you up more than grappling with black belts in jujitsu.

This is true. I speak from personal experience.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:46 am

TommyNoleFin wrote:
This is true. I speak from personal experience.

Which styles have you practiced and what rank are you?

Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:50 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

As much as some may worry about it, I think the Dolphins look to give Martin the chance.

I see what your saying Tony and it could very well play out that way as I understand that logic, but I sure hope you are wrong!! I am definitely one of those that is nervous to death that Martin be the guy we depend on to keep Tannehill off the ground. He is just not IMO a dominating factor to play LT and I think you need someone stellar as the pillar of that position.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:10 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:

I think there is a very real chance that you may be right with regards to Martin playing OLT this season. The knock on the kid coming out of college was that he came out too early and needed a season to build strength, but that he'd be able to start at ORT right away and develop into a OLT. I think the Dolphins knew this when they drafted him, and moving him to OLT full time this year is simply the next step in his progression.

But that still leaves us needing an ORT. Garner isn't the answer in my opinion. While they'll probably give him a chance to compete for the job, I definitely think the Dolphins are going to look to draft a tightend.

What do you think about the Dolphins trading back with someone like Minnesota. Say they trade the 12 overall pick and a 3rd round pick for Minnesota's two first round picks. Then draft another weapon for Tannehill (possibly Eifert, Patterson, or Allen) and a tackle like D.J. Fluker. While Fluker is a bit oversized, he does have experience running some zone blocking schemes at Alabama.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:45 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

wkloiber13 wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

I think there is a very real chance that you may be right with regards to Martin playing OLT this season. The knock on the kid coming out of college was that he came out too early and needed a season to build strength, but that he'd be able to start at ORT right away and develop into a OLT. I think the Dolphins knew this when they drafted him, and moving him to OLT full time this year is simply the next step in his progression.

But that still leaves us needing an ORT. Garner isn't the answer in my opinion. While they'll probably give him a chance to compete for the job, I definitely think the Dolphins are going to look to draft a tightend.

What do you think about the Dolphins trading back with someone like Minnesota. Say they trade the 12 overall pick and a 3rd round pick for Minnesota's two first round picks. Then draft another weapon for Tannehill (possibly Eifert, Patterson, or Allen) and a tackle like D.J. Fluker. While Fluker is a bit oversized, he does have experience running some zone blocking schemes at Alabama.

Never say never wkloiber in regards to what teams do in the NFL. That said, Miami could stand pat and get either Terron Armstead of Arkansas-Pine Bluff or Kyle Long of Oregon in the 2nd round. Justin Pugh of Syracuse has arms to short for OLT, but he could fill the bill at ORT in the 2nd or 3rd round, and Jordan Mills is a kid out of Louisiana Tech that could be a nice pick in the 3rd-5th round range.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:24 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Finhead34 wrote:
I am definitely one of those that is nervous to death that Martin be the guy we depend on to keep Tannehill off the ground.

I am in that group also Finhead. Even with all the free agent signings that Ireland has done so far, I feel like one of the most important positions on the field has been ignored. I am sure Ireland has a plan and feels like the draft is full of O-line help. But man I would feel so much more confident if Ireland had signed Winston, Clabo or Bryant McKinnie as a short term band aid in addition to looking to the draft to fill this need. He may still end up bringing in an aging veteran to add depth, but right now I feel like a huge need has been ignored. Miami needs to have a plan B,C & D on the roster in case Martin doesn't work out at LT.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:09 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

cspooner13 wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

If he hasn't done the work in the off-season to get stronger, he's not going to play. Philbin has made it pretty clear that you have to earn your time on the field, he doesn't care where you're drafted.

Tell me something I don't know. Just saying that Martin will be given the chance to hold down the OLT position if he puts the work in to improve and get better. Philbin is not going to give any player anything if they don't put the work in. Just ask John Jerry, as they have put him on notice already.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:37 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

phinsfansc wrote:
Tell me something I don't know. Just saying that Martin will be given the chance to hold down the OLT position if he puts the work in to improve and get better. Philbin is not going to give any player anything if they don't put the work in. Just ask John Jerry, as they have put him on notice already.

And all I'm saying is that (and correct me if I'm wrong here) none of us really know yet whether or not Martin has done the work necessary in the off season to earn the right to be plugged in there. Only Philbin and the rest of the staff know that, and if they feel like he hasn't done enough, they're going to draft someone who they feel will. Simple.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:13 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

cspooner13 wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

And all I'm saying is that (and correct me if I'm wrong here) none of us really know yet whether or not Martin has done the work necessary in the off season to earn the right to be plugged in there. Only Philbin and the rest of the staff know that, and if they feel like he hasn't done enough, they're going to draft someone who they feel will. Simple.

Okay......

Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:24 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
The Palm Beach Post "keeps hearing" the Dolphins are high on Johnson, and suggests pairing the 12th pick with the 54th or 77th overall to move up.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... i-dolphins

He's got tremendous feet and speed for a huge human. Always gets into the 2nd level of the defense.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]