View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Phins must make upgrading offensive line a priority in Draft 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Phins must make upgrading offensive line a priority in Draft
Quote:
By Omar Kelly, Commentary

5:53 p.m. EDT, April 9, 2013

This fantasy should be an offensive utopia for Ryan Tannehill, the Dolphins starting quarterback, and Mike Sherman, the team's offensive coordinator. However, it could turn into a nightmare quickly if the Dolphins don't approach the 2013 draft properly.

Open your eyes and pay attention to the defensive lineman about to level the Dolphins with a bone-crushing sack. Envision the pocket consistently collapsing. See what I see, which is now an offense filled with weapons, but one lacking a line that can adequately protect the quarterback.

Take a good look at the Dolphins' offensive line that finished last season as the starters, the players who remain the front runners to start again in 2013 if the unit isn't upgraded in the draft.

Fail to fortify the offensive line and everything General Manager Jeff Ireland has done this offseason to "provide Tannehill more toys" will be wasted because a quarterback can't thrown pretty passes without proper protection.

The Dolphins offensive line isn't deep. The unit lacks top end talent with the exception of Mike Pouncey and 2012 Pro Bowler Richie Incognito. And few players fit the team's preferred scheme, which requires more athletic 300-pounders and less bulldozers like Incognito and Jerry.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 9761.story

Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:37 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Phins must make upgrading offensive line a priority in Draft
Amen! We need to draft a top shelf tackle and a solid guard prospect in the mid rounds

Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:40 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'm glad Omar pointed this out. I bet Ireland had no idea that our line has huge holes.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:57 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Tony Mandarich

You can get a bust at any position. You can find stars in later rounds. You don't have to trade up to get a starting LT, or even draft one in the first round. I wouldn't wait till round 7 though, lol.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:00 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

rodneyfaile wrote:
Tony Mandarich

You can get a bust at any position. You can find stars in later rounds. You don't have to trade up to get a starting LT, or even draft one in the first round. I wouldn't wait till round 7 though, lol.

Yes, you can get a bust at any position, but offensive line tends to have the highest rate of success in the 1st round of any position.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:32 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
Yes, you can get a busts at any positions, but offensives line tends to have the highest rate of success in the 1st round of any position .

After reading the stat that only one 1st round LT has made it to the Superbowl the past ELEVEN seasons (pretty much since we had Marino, and we know how darn long ago that was), makes me extremely weary to snagging one in the 1st. I love Austin's speed, but we also need a receiver with size. It's not like I'm the one drafting, but I'm personally stuck from trading down a few picks for Eiffert, or drafting Austin at 12.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:15 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I think the Dolphins can stand pat and get the OL personnel they need. With that being said, it hard to ignore some of the speculation of the Dolphins looking to trade up to get one of the so called Big 3.

And like Rich said, from a financial standpoint, you don't take the massive hit that you took before the wage scale.

I also think the draft compensation has changed as well, so the picks you gave up in the past would not necessarily apply now.

I'm leaning towards mocking a possible trade up in my last mock, but we have a few more weeks to see how things play out.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:43 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

We may need to do this, but it seems frustrating that every year we find a new reason to not draft playmakers. It has show on the field to with a less than inspiring offense. We need to address the offensive line, but we also need playmakers. I'm hopeful Mike Wallace will contribute heavily towards that end, but we need other pieces to add to the mix.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:52 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

All this talk about how drafting linemen hasn't gotten us a ring, but If memory serves, the last time they drafted a "Playmaker" high it didnt work out too well.

Something about him and his family?

I also remember Randall Hill and Yatil Green being collassal 1st round busts.
There are no guarantees at any position.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:09 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Sure....drafting OL is a priority, but not a first round priority and probably not even the priority with our first pick in round 2. I think we need a playmaker on offense (I like Eifert at this point) and then the best available player at CB or pass rushing DE/LB next.

The team is probably still one more draft away from the playoffs though. We seem to be making holes as fast as we fill them and all the new players will take some time to learn the system. Of course, all of the future is tied up in Tannehill.....will we see big improvement this year???

Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:32 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I think they can skip drafting an OL with the first pick, in favor of a playmaker, but they need to definitely address it by the 2nd round. I feel pretty good with 11 picks.

Go Dolphins!

Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:56 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I am on the Eifert band wagon.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:44 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Unless we swing a draft day trade for Albert, I think the Dolphins are most definitely going to target multiple linemen. Personally I really like Johnson (OT) from Oklahoma, Schwenke (OG/C) from California, and Jones (OT/OG/C) from Alabama.
Personally I'm hoping we get all three. I know its a little overkill but I think we really need to invest in protecting Tannehill.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:59 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

wkloiber13 wrote:
Unless we swing a draft day trade for Albert, I think the Dolphins are most definitely going to target multiple linemen. Personally I really like Johnson (OT) from Oklahoma, Schwenke (OG/C) from California, and Jones (OT/OG/C) from Alabama.
Personally I'm hoping we get all three. I know its a little overkill but I think we really need to invest in protecting Tannehill.

The more I think about it, the more I'd be okay with it if we decided to go O-line with the first two picks and take Johnathan Cooper and Terron Armstead.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:22 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
...I think we really need to invest in protecting Tannehill.

I don't know if I like the idea of 3 high picks for the OL, but I do agree, we need to invest in protecting the QB and creating running lanes.

Not to ignore playmakers in the draft, but there is a solid core of them and some one year band aids. Let's put some infrastructure in place to ensure the playmakers get the support they need to do their jobs.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]