View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Dolphins high on Lane Johnson 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Dolphins high on Lane Johnson
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... i-dolphins

Quote:
The Palm Beach Post "keeps hearing" the Dolphins are high on Johnson, and suggests pairing the 12th pick with the 54th or 77th overall to move up.

Whenever NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah is asked about the Dolphins' draft plans, he starts humming The Jeffersons' "Movin' on Up" theme song.

While Joeckel and Fisher generally are regarded as the top prospects, Jeremiah believes Johnson has the most upside of any offensive lineman in this entire draft class.

Adam Caplan of Sirius XM NFL radio can't recall a more dominant performance from a left tackle in Senior Bowl practices than Johnson's this year.

Johnson's NFL Scouting Combine was even more impressive, posting the best numbers ever for an offensive tackle.

"His 40-yard dash time was better than Anquan Boldin," NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said. "His vertical at 34 inches was the same as A.J. Green. Think about this."

Drafting Johnson potentially would solve the left tackle position for the next decade while allowing Jonathan Martin to stay on the right side. A trade up will be costly, however, as the Dolphins likely would have to position themselves ahead of the tackle-needy Detroit Lions at No. 5 overall to ensure Johnson.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:43 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Dolphins high on Lane Johnson
NFL wrote:

"His 40-yard dash time was better than Anquan Boldin," NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said. "His vertical at 34 inches was the same as A.J. Green. Think about this."
How often are tackles ask to show us their vertical in a game?

NFL wrote:
Drafting Johnson potentially would solve the left tackle position for the next decade while allowing Jonathan Martin to stay on the right side. A trade up will be costly, however, as the Dolphins likely would have to position themselves ahead of the tackle-needy Detroit Lions at No. 5 overall to ensure Johnson.

Heard this 5 yrs ago and got 3 yrs of solid play out of the player.

Last edited by Dphins4me on Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:42 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Dphins4me wrote:

Was thinking the same thing....

Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:32 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Dphins4me wrote:

The major difference is that 5 years ago we signed that player to the largest contract for any left tackle in the NFL despite him never playing in the NFL.

Things have changed since then. The amount of financial investment in a tackle taken in the first round this year will be substantially less.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:38 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:

The major difference is that 5 years ago we signed that player to the largest contract for any left tackle in the NFL despite him never playing in the NFL.

Things have changed since then. The amount of financial investment in a tackle taken in the first round this year will be substantially less.

Bingo!

Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:04 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Rich wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:

I don't really care about the financial cost. It's what you're passing up for that player that concerns me.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:15 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
I don't really care about the financial cost. It's what you're passing up for that player that concerns me.

I tend to agree. In most situations I would advocate taking a skill player in the first and waiting until the later rounds to grab your o-lineman. This year though, I really think we need to take that chance and get the stud LT. We've got pretty much all the tools on offense now, and the holes we have on defense can be addressed later on. Get an elite LT and we should be in great position to make a push for the playoffs

Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:46 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]