View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 MOCK: The rest of my Dolphin draft predictions 
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

Post MOCK: The rest of my Dolphin draft predictions
You saw my first 2 picks for the Dolphins in my 2-round mock draft yesterday.
Well here’s the rest of them. You can see even if we make the trade for Johnson we can still get 5 or 6 excellent prospects to add to an already talented roster.

1st rd. 6. Lane Johnson-OT-Oklahoma (after trading up)
Quote:
Super agent Drew Rosenhaus is "hearing from everyone" the Dolphins plan to use their first-round pick on an offensive tackle.
NFL.com's Ian Rapoport is hearing the same thing. The Palm Beach Post passed along last week that it "keep(s) hearing" the Dolphins will target Oklahoma LT Lane Johnson with their first pick, but that landing him would require trading up. Johnson is considered extremely unlikely to fall outside the top-ten. If Miami swings and misses on the triumvirate of Johnson, Luke Joeckel and Eric Fisher, it's far less likely it will use its day-one selection on a tackle.

Quote:
NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah believes Oklahoma LT Lane Johnson has the "most upside of any offensive lineman" in the entire draft, and is the "ideal candidate" to replace Jake Long in Miami.

2nd rd. 42. Johnthan Banks-CB-Miss. St.
Quote:
Mississippi State CB Johnthan Banks ran forty times of 4.59 and 4.64 at the NFL Scouting Combine.
"I feel badly for him because I really like him on tape," observed NFL Network's Mike Mayock. Mayock noted that Joe Haden also ran slow forty times at the Combine, but has turned out alright. Banks will likely run the forty again at the Bulldogs' Pro Day in order to put some better times on record. At this point, though, he's almost certainly out of the top-32 draft mix.

Quote:
SEC receivers were hoping Banks would head to the NFL after his second-team All-SEC junior season, but they had to deal with the tall, lean, three-year starter’s ball skills and competitive streak for another season before he headed off to challenge pro receivers. He has experience playing a number of spots in the secondary, beginning his career as a safety, before eventually settling on the boundary corner and nickel spots

Quote:
Mississippi State CB Johnthan Banks ran forty-yard dash times of 4.51 and 4.52 at the Bulldogs' Pro Day.
The faster times should help after Banks bombed at the Combine, running a 4.61 to rank 41st among 54 defensive backs in Indy. He also ranked 40th among DBs in the vertical (34") at the Combine. Banks' game tape remains first-round caliber, and NFL Draft insider Tony Pauline passes along "rumors" from the Mississippi State Pro Day that the Patriots are considering Banks late in round one

2nd rd. 54. traded to Cleveland

3rd rd. 77. Brian Winters-G/OT-Kent St.
Quote:
Finishing plays is not an issue, steps out to attack his man quickly after the snap, latches on like he’'s beginning a wrestling match, and then keeps his legs moving to sustain. Throws smaller ends to the ground if they let up as the whistle blows. Possesses the athleticism to be a late second to early third day pick and a solid NFL starter at guard or tackle in a zone-blocking system

Quote:
Kent State OT Brian Winters is projected to go into the second-round by some scouts.
"He's one that O-line coaches are going to fall in love with," a scout said to Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's Bob McGinn. "They'll see how nasty he is. He will be inside in the NFL and he won't have to play on the edge anymore. He has enough athleticism to play in there. He goes in the second round without question."

3rd rd. 82. Vance McDonald-TE-Rice
Quote:
Rice TE Vance McDonald performed 31 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press at the Scouting Combine.
McDonald was a beastly run blocker in the slot in Rice's spread offense, and his strength obviously translates to the weight room. He has long arms (34 3/8"), making the bench total even more impressive. At 6-foot-4 and 262 pounds, McDonald has an 84-inch wingspan and has drawn Jason Witten comparisons.

4th Rd. 111. Aaron Dobson-WR-Marshall
Quote:
the most promising pro receiver prospect from Marshall since Randy Moss -- has caught 15 touchdowns over the past two seasons. Dobson might not have Moss’ talent, but still possesses qualities that will likely see him selected in the first 100 picks.

Quote:
Marshall WR Aaron Dobson was credited with a drop percentage of zero on 92 targets, according to STATS Inc.
Many thought highly of Dobson prior to the 2012 season, and part of that was likely due to his highlight reel catches. However, the Marshall receiver missed some time due to injury and didn't always make his presence felt when healthy

5th rd. 146. traded to Cleveland

5th rd. 166. Quanterus Smith-DE-W. Kentucky
Quote:
The part-time starter in 2011 managed to earn second-team All-Sun Belt honors (11 tackles for loss, 7.5 sacks) in 2011 while also displaying great upside to NFL scouts due to his length and explosion off the edge as a pass rusher. He lined up as a starter full-time in 2012, showing a much improved all around game. Unfortunately, the 2012 Sun Belt Defensive Player of the Year tore his ACL in November, ending his senior season after just ten games. How Smith checks out medically will have a huge effect on his stock, but a team that feels good about his knee might feel the Hilltopper's skill as a pass rusher is worth investing a Day 2 pick on him.

Quote:
ESPN's Todd McShay recently said Smith was a "name to remember" and a potential "Day 3 steal

7th. 217. Cierre Wood-RB-Notre Dame
Quote:
Wood has a good frame and possesses thick legs. Quick and shifty runner. Reaches maximum acceleration quickly. Willing to run up the middle and shows a burst. Good feet and makes controlled, fluid movements when moving laterally. Showcases good vision.

7th. 224, Kwame Geathers-DT-Georgia
Quote:
Geathers has an absolutely monstrous frame and carries the weight well. Packs a powerful punch and can offensive lineman on their heals immediately. Showcases the ability to lock his arms out, and use quick, active hands to shed. Uses his arm length to extend and wrap up ball carriers. When he fires off the ball low, he can hold the point of attack.

7th. 250. Rashard Hall-FS-Clemson
Quote:
Hall has been a fixture in the Tigers’ secondary since his freshman year, when he intercepted six passes to earn honorable mention All-ACC honors. Though he couldn’t maintain that sort of turnover creation while starting as a sophomore and junior, his overall strength against the run (86 tackles in 2011) and pass (10 career INT) are worthy of a mid-round selection as a potential NFL starter.

College Free Agents for us to sign:
Micah Hyde-CB-Iowa
Luke Batton-LB-Kent St.
Nick Becton-OT-Virg. tech
Latavius Murray-RB-Cent. Flor.
Kayvon Webster-CB-South Flor.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:48 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: MOCK: The rest of my Dolphin draft predictions
I absolutely love the pick of Vance McDonald and have been surprised that I haven't seen more people talk about him

Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:46 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host

You did a great job swerve. That a lot of time and effort you put into this. Like Brian Winters a lot and Cierre Woods is a kid I have been looking at as well.

Vance McDonald has the physical attributes and can certainly threaten the seam. Aaron Dobson is an interesting WR.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:10 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

I've said it before Swerve13, thanks. Your draft is very informative.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:34 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I like the picks of Johnson, Banks, and Gaithers. All three of those players were in my mock draft I put out a couple of days ago. While I'm not a big fan of giving up so much for Johnson, I understand the move. I like Barrett Jones and Brian Schwenke more than I like Winters, I like Gillislee more than I like Woods, and I don't know too much about the others, but overall I really like your mock. Good picks.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:37 pm

Thanks guys. Now I can throw my rough draft away because we probaly won't draft any of these guys! LOL.
I'm ready already! Always thought the NFL dragged this process out too long. The draft should be the 2nd weekend of every April. Enough already let's start pickin.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:33 am

cspooner13 wrote:
I absolutely love the pick of Vance McDonald and have been surprised that I haven't seen more people talk about him

He impressed the hell out of me. I never heard of him before February, but the kid is the rare complete tight end. He looks like a linebacker and runs like a runningback.
I like him and Escobar alot.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:36 am

phinsfansc wrote:
You did a great job swerve. That a lot of time and effort you put into this. Like Brian Winters a lot and Cierre Woods is a kid I have been looking at as well.

Vance McDonald has the physical attributes and can certainly threaten the seam. Aaron Dobson is an interesting WR.

are you done Mocking Tony or do you still have another one to do yet?

Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:34 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:
cspooner13 wrote:

He impressed the hell out of me. I never heard of him before February, but the kid is the rare complete tight end. He looks like a linebacker and runs like a runningback.
I like him and Escobar alot.

THANK YOU! I haven't heard anyone talk about Escobar, but personally I think I might like him just as much as Eifert and more than Ertz. You know, the more you talk, the more I like it. Even when we heatedly disagree

Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:54 pm
Profile WWW

Quote:
THANK YOU! I haven't heard anyone talk about Escobar, but personally I think I might like him just as much as Eifert and more than Ertz. You know, the more you talk, the more I like it. Even when we heatedly disagree

LOL. I guess I'll keep disagreeing with you then.
a couple months ago I said that Escobar might wind up being the best tight end from this class. I've never been an Ertz fan. I do like Eifert and McDonald. Kelce looks good on tape but i've heard he's a wild child. Too risky for Philbin. Also Ryan Otten and Jack Doyle are good late sleepers.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:19 am

Quote:
The Dolphins are believed to be lukewarm on Oklahoma LT Lane Johnson.
Reliable Dolphins reporter Armando Salguero says the Fins "love" Luke Joeckel and Eric Fisher, but GM Jeff Ireland "isn't totally in love" with the idea of drafting Johnson. Ireland reportedly has "questions about Johnson's game" that may keep him from taking Landry Jones' blindside protector. If the Dolphins trade up, Alabama CB Dee Milliner and Joeckel or Fisher would be likelier targets.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:30 am

swerve13 wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

are you done Mocking Tony or do you still have another one to do yet?

Still doing one more. Trying to let everything play out before I do my final one, which will probably be early next week. The Brandon Albert situation would change a lot of scenarios.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:26 pm

Quote:
Lance Zierlein of the Sideline View believes Notre Dame RB Cierre Wood would be a terrific fit on a zone blocking team in the later rounds.
Wood declared early for the draft but likely won't be selected prior to the third day. He isn't the flashiest player in terms of straight-line speed, but Wood makes decisive cuts once finding a lane to attack.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]