View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Dolphins in 2013: contenders or pretenders? 

Contender (winnning record before bye). 80%  80%  [ 12 ]
Pretender (losing record before the bye). 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 15

Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Dolphins in 2013: contenders or pretenders?
I think we'll know right off the bat whether to take this team seriously or not. They are young, and there have been changes, but if we come out with a losing record before the bye then it will be an uphill battle to get back into it.

ESPN wrote:
Can Dolphins survive early schedule?

hree of Miami’s first five opponents made the playoffs, and the Ravens are the reigning Super Bowl champions. The lesser opponents -- New Orleans and Cleveland -- are both road games, which are rarely easy. The Dolphins were 2-6 on the road last season.

The Dolphins beefed up their roster with major free-agent additions such as receiver Mike Wallace, tight end Dustin Keller, cornerback Brent Grimes and linebackers Dannell Ellerbe and Philip Wheeler. Miami also has 11 draft picks to use in next week’s draft. There is no doubt the Dolphins will be better on paper, but we won’t know how it will translate until Miami takes the field in the fall.

Due to the NFL's scheduling, we will know right away whether the Dolphins are pretenders or contenders. Any team that can come out of this brutal, five-game stretch with a winning record deserves to be taken seriously. But if the Dolphins are 1-4 or 0-5 by early October, they simply would be another team which couldn't live up to the offseason hype.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/ ... y-schedule

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:30 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Post Re: Dolphins in 2013: contenders or pretenders?
Dave I expect us to be hurting big time in the early portion of the season. It's just too much to ask a young team with so many new parts to compete in those games in the first 6 weeks. But we should be able to rattle off a bunch of wins in the 2nd part of the schedule. I fear this could be an 8-8 year for us. I'm hoping for 9-7. I think our really big year will be 2014.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:38 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I disagree with the premise. A 1-4 start will be brutal no doubt. But if the team comes up with a 2-3 record, I will be feeling good. I expect this season to be a tale of 2 parts. Before they get all the pieces working together and afterward. This could wind up being a VERY good team once the pieces start working together. So a 2-3 start could still lead to the playoffs.

One thing that seems to be ignored is the fact that after that 5 game stretch, there are 4 games against the Bills and the Jets and lots of home games remaining. It could make for a great stretch of winning football.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:52 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The front half of our season depends on the pass rush. The Browns, Colts, Falcons, and Saints are all teams that like to sling it. The Ravens sling it a bit too. But if our pass rush is working, and we're pressuring the quarterback consistently week to week, then I think 3-2 isn't out of the cards going into the bye.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]