View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Trade down and take Hayden? 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Post Trade down and take Hayden?
Quote:
Sources tell the Miami Herald that the Dolphins are seriously trying to trade down from the No. 12 overall pick.
The Dolphins aren't alone thanks to this flat draft. ESPN's Adam Schefter reported earlier Tuesday that the Eagles, Lions, Browns and Bills are among other teams interested in trading back. The Dolphins could be looking to acquire a second-round pick in case they have to give theirs up in a potential Brandon Albert deal. They could address their hole at corner later in the first round with fast-rising Houston CB D.J. Hayden.

-Rotoworld

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:00 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Trade down and take Hayden?
They'd have to fall pretty far to get a 2nd rounder and if Hayden is fast rising why does Rotoworld assume he'd be available that far down?

So lets clarify everything we've heard recently. The Dolphins want to move up to get Lane Johnson, they want to trade a 2nd rounder for Brandon Albert, they want to stay at 12 and take either Tyler Eifert or Chance Warmack (per Rosenhaus), they covet Jonathan Cooper (per O Kelly), they covet Dee Milliner, they covet DJ Hayden, they are possibly high on DJ Fluker, and now they want to trade back and get another 2nd rounder because apparently none of these guys are worth taking at 12.

Got it. I love draft week.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:07 pm

jammer wrote:
They'd have to fall pretty far to get a 2nd rounder and if Hayden is fast rising why does Rotoworld assume he'd be available that far down?

So lets clarify everything we've heard recently. The Dolphins want to move up to get Lane Johnson, they want to trade a 2nd rounder for Brandon Albert, they want to stay at 12 and take either Tyler Eifert or Chance Warmack (per Rosenhaus), they covet Jonathan Cooper (per O Kelly), they covet Dee Milliner, they covet DJ Hayden, they are possibly high on DJ Fluker, and now they want to trade back and get another 2nd rounder because apparently none of these guys are worth taking at 12.

:grin:

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:09 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Thats Ireland's poker face.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:11 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

jammer wrote:

They said take Hayden later in the first round.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:13 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
jammer wrote:

Right, and that is what I was referring too. But if Hayden is fast rising its dangerous to assume he might still be there later in the 1st. I'm not saying they'll take him with the acquired 2nd rounder.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:17 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Rich wrote:
jammer wrote:

I think that's what Jammer is saying. Trading down enough to get a 2nd round pick would have you in the later part of the 1st round, where Hayden could be gone.

Jammer, great post BTW. What I believe through all the smoke (and this is just my personal speculative opinion):

Miami will take Lane Johnson if he's there or if a trade up is cheap (like simply jumping SD and going from 12 to 10). If that doesn't happen, they will trade for Branden Albert.

Then at 12 Miami likes Cooper, but won't take a OG at 12 unless they have no other options what so ever. If they're unable to trade for Albert or Johnson/Fisher, then DJ Fluker becomes a desperation consideration at 12.

Assuming they ARE able to trade for Albert:

If they get very good to great value to move down, they will. Other wise, Plan A) Eifert. Plan B) Hayden. Plan C) Sheldon Richardson. Plan D) Cooper/Warmack

If Milliner falls he's the obvious pick, but I don't see that happening.

If they take Hayden, they'll take Escobar at 42. If they take Eifert, they'll look to move up for Hayden if he's still there. If not, they'll wait on Jordan Poyer later and attack DE or safety with their next pick.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:20 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Thanks for stopping my head from spinning PR! HA!

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:30 pm

jammer wrote:

Then of course there's the scenario that they covet Jarvis Jones, despite his size......

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:33 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
jammer wrote:

Then of course there's the scenario that they covet Jarvis Jones, despite his size......

That might send shock waves comparable to the Ginn over Quinn pick in 2007.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:38 pm

jammer wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
jammer wrote:

That might send shock waves comparable to the Ginn over Quinn pick in 2007.

Personally, Jones and Eifert are my two favorites. I don't see Ireland taking Jones because of his fit in a 43, but I do like him a lot.

People got too excited too early when comparing him to Von Miller. He's not that special. But now people are under selling him because he didn't quite reach the hype in the Off Season.

Look at the tape and the production though. He lead the SEC in every important statistical category for a pass rusher: Sacks, TFL, Forced fumbles and that type of disruption translates to his talent on tape. I like him a ton. I don't care how you use him. Even if it's just a Bruce Irvin, strictly 3rd down role, it's well worth it.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:50 pm

ya for real PR, how quiet did things get for Jarvis Jones after the combine? I don't even hear his name mentioned anymore yet he's still mocked top 12 usually.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:59 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

There are rumors that Atlanta or San Francisco might want to move up to get an elite player. Atlanta if they badly want somebody like Eifert might just pull the trigger. I think we can all remember what they gave up for Julio Jones. Hopefully they get that way again and we can make out like bandits. I'd love to see Miami trade back, add a bunch of picks (mostly 2014 picks), and then take a cornerback, passrusher, or maybe even a tightend or receiver in the late 1st depending on who is still around.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:06 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

So sick of this trade down talk...

How about we just stay where we are and take somone good?

Trading down rarely works...We are not in the quanity market.. We are in the quality market

You want to trade down lokk at the Dolphins history of doing that...Look at the Patriots history of doing that.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:16 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:

You forgot the guy everyone here loves to speculate on: Austin.

Yup, gotta love the draft

Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:25 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Kev1321 wrote:

Trading down rarely works...We are not in the quanity market.. We are in the quality market

You want to trade down lokk at the Dolphins history of doing that...Look at the Patriots history of doing that.

This is a good point. Which team in recent history has actually used trading back consistently and effectively? Unless you're only moving back a few spots it doesn't seem to be worth it more often than not.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:27 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Kev1321 wrote:

We traded back in 2010 and got Odrick and Misi, both current starters. The Chargers got Matthews. I think we got the better end of that deal. You can make yourself silly with all of the woulda-coulda-shouldas, but at the end of the day we traded back and picked up two players. While they aren't Pro-Bowlers, they are solid starters, and they're definitely not busts in my opinion.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:34 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

wkloiber13 wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

We traded back in 2010 and got Odrick and Misi, both current starters. The Chargers got Matthews. I think we got the better end of that deal. You can make yourself silly with all of the woulda-coulda-shouldas, but at the end of the day we traded back and picked up two players. While they aren't Pro-Bowlers, they are solid starters, and they're definitely not busts in my opinion.

And you could have drafted a pro bowl Jpp or several other pro bowl players at different positions instead.

We are not as desperate for quanity in this draft

Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:31 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Would love to trade down 6-8 spots and take Hayden (if available).

Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:06 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I would love to see a trade down then trade back up scenario happen really. I think that would maximize our draft. But you have to find a partner if you want to dance.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:12 pm
Profile WWW

Quote:
Texans GM Rick Smith is "almost in awe" of Houston CB D.J. Hayden.
"He's a heck of a player," Smith said Tuesday. Smith may be buttering up a local product, but there's no reason the Texans shouldn't at least consider Hayden if he's still on the board at No. 27. He's just unlikely to fall that far. Hayden surpassing Dee Milliner as the draft's top cornerback appears to be more smoke than fire, but he has a good chance to go in the first 16 picks.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]