View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Randy Starks for Branden Albert 

Starks for Albert
Yes 53%  53%  [ 9 ]
No 47%  47%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 17

Randy Starks for Branden Albert 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Randy Starks for Branden Albert
I know what you're thinking, it will never happen. But it should, and here is why. Both players are franchise tagged right now. Both players want to get their last big contract. The Chiefs want to move Albert. The Dolphins are likely going to lose Starks to free agency next year. The Dolphins need an offensive tackle to replace Long. The Chiefs need a defensive tackle to replace Dorsey. In my opinion this is a situation where both teams come out of the deal better off.

If Miami moves Starks to Kansas City for Branden Albert:
1. The Dolphins get an elite left tackle to protect Tannehill's blindside.
2. They free up money to sign Albert to a long term contract.
3. They can more easily find a defensive tackle at 12th overall or simply move Odrick inside and draft a passrusher.
4. Such a move sets them up for the long term at both positions.

What do you guys think?

Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:35 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Re: Randy Starks for Branden Albert
KC loses out in this move. Sure, they get a good defensive lineman this year, but Starks is getting up there in age. DTs typically break down earlier than OTs.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:02 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I don't see why they'd do that. They can pick up Randy Starks in a year. I have a feeling he will only wear our colors another year and that is it.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:19 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The Chiefs just lost Dorsey to free agency. That leaves a big hole in their defensive front. Starks is a solid veteran player who despite his age (29) has shown no signs of breaking down yet. The Chiefs could probably sign him to a three year deal and get their money's worth. Albert is no spring chicken either, he's 28. Bottom line, both players are on their last big deal.

As far as the trade is concerned, neither player comes with a long term deal guarantee, and both players would be likely lost in free agency next year anyway. The Chiefs want to draft Joeckel, moving Albert allows them to do that. The Dolphins are likely going to move Odrick inside next year when Starks, Soliai, or both leave in free agency. Moving Starks allows them to move Odrick inside now so they can see what the kid can do now. It also frees them up to take an elite passrusher or d-tackle if the right player emerges at 12.

I think its a fair trade that would benefit both teams now, and in the future if they choose to sign the players long term.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:32 pm

wkloiber13 wrote:
The Chiefs just lost Dorsey to free agency. That leaves a big hole in their defensive front. Starks is a solid veteran player who despite his age (29) has shown no signs of breaking down yet. The Chiefs could probably sign him to a three year deal and get their money's worth. Albert is no spring chicken either, he's 28. Bottom line, both players are on their last big deal.

As far as the trade is concerned, neither player comes with a long term deal guarantee, and both players would be likely lost in free agency next year anyway. The Chiefs want to draft Joeckel, moving Albert allows them to do that. The Dolphins are likely going to move Odrick inside next year when Starks, Soliai, or both leave in free agency. Moving Starks allows them to move Odrick inside now so they can see what the kid can do now. It also frees them up to take an elite passrusher or d-tackle if the right player emerges at 12.

I think its a fair trade that would benefit both teams now, and in the future if they choose to sign the players long term.

Actually, Starks did begin to show signs of wearing down as the season went on and the Dolphins run defense also began to decline.

I think that is a huge reason the Dolphins haven't signed him to a longterm deal.

I don't think it is a fair trade at all.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:14 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

If Branden Albert has the same back issues that he had last season, then it becomes a completely different discussion, but the trade right now as it is would not be a fair trade at all for K.C.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:19 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

cspooner13 wrote:
If Branden Albert has the same back issues that he had last season, then it becomes a completely different discussion, but the trade right now as it is would not be a fair trade at all for K.C.

What if you added a 4th or 5th into the mix. Starks and a 4th or 5th round pick for Albert. What about that deal?

Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:23 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

Actually, Starks did begin to show signs of wearing down as the season went on and the Dolphins run defense also began to decline.

I think that is a huge reason the Dolphins haven't signed him to a longterm deal.

I don't think it is a fair trade at all.

I think Ireland is simply playing hardball with Starks. I don't think he's breaking down at all. They want to keep him, but his current asking price isn't to their liking. They did the same thing with Soliai a couple of years ago. The next year when they went to re-sign him they got him for a significantly better deal. Starks price will come down quite a bit next year. Same goes for Soliai. But I think no matter what we're going to go young and replace both players unless they come cheap. I think there is a good chance we'll look at Sylvester Williams from North Carolina if he slips into the 2nd round.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:26 pm

wkloiber13 wrote:
They want to keep him, but his current asking price isn't to their liking.

Starks has stated publicly that they haven't even approached him to discuss the subject of an extension... so they don't even know his asking price.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:11 am

Brandon Albert was the 9th best pass blocking left tackle in the NFL. Ahead of Matt Kalil and Joe Staley. He allowed ONE sack and 12 hurries.

All of the weapons we signed for Tannehill this offseason are devalued if we cannot protect him.

I don't really care about his run blocking at this point, I care about his ability to stop pass rushers.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:25 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
I don't really care about his run blocking at this point, I care about his ability to stop pass rushers.

Couldn't agree more. We need a guy who can protect Tanny's blindside in the passing game. The run blocking will work itself out, but this is a passing league and I feel like that has to take a higher priority than an outstanding run-blocker who may be suspect in his pass blocking.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:19 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
KC loses out in this move. Sure, they get a good defensive lineman this year, but Starks is getting up there in age. DTs typically break down earlier than OTs.

It works if they are not signing Albert to a new deal in 2013. So they get a DT for one year & maybe he leaves & lose Albert one yr sooner.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:41 am

Dphins4me wrote:
Rich wrote:

It works if they are not signing Albert to a new deal in 2013. So they get a DT for one year & maybe he leaves & lose Albert one yr sooner.

Yeah they get a DT for one year while we get a tackle for several.

They simply aren't going to go for that, especially now that other teams seem to be poking around.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:46 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Randy Starks is not getting traded unless on draft day someone who missed on getting Floyd, Richardson, Lotuleili or any other 1st round DT decides to get desperate and offers Ireland a high 2nd rounder. Even that concept is kind of bonkers. Who would trade a high pick for a guy about to enter the possible decline years of his career?

And when was the last time we saw a player for player swap, especially of this magnitude?

Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:45 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
Rich wrote:

Yeah they get a DT for one year while we get a tackle for several.

They simply aren't going to go for that, especially now that other teams seem to be poking around.

What is stopping them from signing him long term like we would do with Albert?

Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:07 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Randy Starks is not getting traded unless on draft day someone who missed on getting Floyd, Richardson, Lotuleili or any other 1st round DT decides to get desperate and offers Ireland a high 2nd rounder. Even that concept is kind of bonkers. Who would trade a high pick for a guy about to enter the possible decline years of his career?

And when was the last time we saw a player for player swap, especially of this magnitude?

There is a first time for everything. LoL. I'm just throwing this move out there because I think if both teams made it happen they would both get better. Because I recognize that Albert is the better player, I think it would be fair if Miami sweetened the pot and added a mid round draft pick into the mix so that KC could draft a possible replacement if they don't want to sign Starks longterm.

I like that you mentioned a draft day trade. That was something else I was considering. I've read reports that we've very interested in North Carolina's Sylvester Williams (DT) who is a very good interior pass rusher ala Geno Atkins style. I could easily see the Dolphins trying to move Starks if Williams falls to the Dolphins at pick 42.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:12 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

wkloiber13 wrote:
I could easily see the Dolphins trying to move Starks if Williams falls to the Dolphins at pick 42.

I don't think there's any way that Williams falls that far

Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:16 pm
Profile WWW

wkloiber13 wrote:
What is stopping them from signing him long term like we would do with Albert?

Common sense. DT is a position where aging happens quickly, unlike offensive tackle.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:43 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I'd do it, considering Starks' replacement is already on the roster

Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]