View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ] 
 A Look At The WR's Now... Your Thoughts?? 
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Post A Look At The WR's Now... Your Thoughts??
For a team in need of WR’s I think we have a pretty decent competition going right now…

19 Ted Ginn Jr. WR 5-11 180
15 Davone Bess WR 5-10 190
82 Brian Hartline WR 6-2 186
84 Patrick Turner WR 6-5 220
17 Ryan Grice-Mullen WR 5-11 180
11 Julius Pruitt WR 6-2 206
83 Greg Camarillo WR 6-1 190
89 Taurus Johnson WR 6-1 205
Brandon Marshall WR 6-4 230

What do you guys think??

Seems we were all caught up in the name dropping with Marshall, Holmes, Bolden etc... We seemed to forget the FO started real early on filling that hole....

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:14 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Re: A Look At The WR's Now... Your Thoughts??
Brandon Marshall takes this wide receiver core to another level as he is the red zone, go to guy that Miami desperately needed. I still hope Miami holds on to Ted Ginn, as he is the deep threat, the speed guy. Marshall is a guy that demands a double team nd it opens up things for all the other WR's and TE.

Also, there were a lot of folks that thought Dez Bryant was not a consideration at #12. I definitely think he was, and this move to get Brandon in leads me to think that even more.

Yes, Marshall has baggage and he will get a big deal, but he is a top 5 WR, a proven commodity, and he is 26 years old.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:19 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

who will wear no.15?

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:20 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

No idea on that joeschmoe... probably Marshall though.

I like the WR core a lot now! If Pat Turner can develop and turn into somewhat of a star in his own right, we'd have ourselves our own Fitzgerald/Boldin combo here!

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:36 am
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

Me likey... me likey longtime.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:40 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

very nice for us....we will trade down now in the first round and get a second round pick

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:51 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Coots wrote:
Me likey... me likey longtime.

I second that

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:54 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I saw #11 Julius Pruitt and thought oh crap he's back....thinking of James Pruitt for all you old timers :grin:
Very pleased with the pick up, I really hope Sparano, Ireland, and Parcells can help him with his maturity.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:56 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

I think we are in for a nice shake up in our WR department...

Kinda sucks cause I really like Camarillo - Bess - Hartline as our slot guys, with Marshall as our # 1. THats 4 and I think thats all we bring to the games Sunday correct?

Wasnt our base offense 2 TE & 4 WR... Last year it was Ginn - Bess - Camarillo - Hartline, and one or 2 games we actually had a 5th active..

I think with 4 RB's, 1 FB & 2 TE's it only leaves room for 4 WR's... I may be wrong tho...

We could always shed a RB for a WR that contributes to special teams... (Hartline)

Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:45 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I see turner getting dumped, ginn traded on draft day and another reciever added(or two) during or after the draft to compete

Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:50 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I see Camarillo traded and Turner cut.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:56 am
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

enJeppesen wrote:
I see turner getting dumped, ginn traded on draft day and another reciever added(or two) during or after the draft to compete

19 Ted Ginn Jr. WR 5-11 180 - Could be the number 2 guy, also we would loose a guy that can make a play in the return game.

15 Davone Bess WR 5-10 190 - Our Wes

82 Brian Hartline WR 6-2 186 - Developed nice as the season went on. Keeper

84 Patrick Turner WR 6-5 220 - I really hope they don't give up on him till they see what he brings to camp.

17 Ryan Grice-Mullen WR 5-11 180 -?
11 Julius Pruitt WR 6-2 206 -?

83 Greg Camarillo WR 6-1 190 - The little engine that could. I would hate to see him go. Especially if he's just cut. I think he could have some value to some team. Again, I would hate to lose Cam.

89 Taurus Johnson WR 6-1 205 -?

Brandon Marshall WR 6-4 230- #1 WR

So if your looking for a trade. Cam or Ginn.

Also, you can forget about Pat White running with the WR's, IMO

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:58 am
Profile YIM
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Johnson, Mullen, Pruitt ..practise squad? No idea who they are but some of them are obviously gone if thats the case

Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:12 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

The Hen wrote:

I don't think so.. Miles Austin didn't get on the field right away and now he's Dallas' best receiver. Give Turner a year or two before passing judgment. Everybody says it takes a WR 3 years to get fully accustomed to the NFL, give it time.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:17 am

joeschmoe wrote:
The Hen wrote:

I don't think so.. Miles Austin didn't get on the field right away and now he's Dallas' best receiver. Give Turner a year or two before passing judgment. Everybody says it takes a WR 3 years to get fully accustomed to the NFL, give it time.

I think Turner is a guy to keep an eye on. we'll see if he developes. The guy is a slow starter so hopefully he's been working hard during the offseason.

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:57 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

IamPZ wrote:
No idea on that joeschmoe... probably Marshall though.

I like the WR core a lot now! If Pat Turner can develop and turn into somewhat of a star in his own right, we'd have ourselves our own Fitzgerald/Boldin combo here!

I think so to he has the size to be a real force for any (db) to try and handel

Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:35 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

enJeppesen wrote:
Johnson, Mullen, Pruitt ..practise squad? No idea who they are but some of them are obviously gone if thats the case

Ryan Grice-Mullen Played at Hawaii with Bess, ended up going to the CFL in the draft... Speed guy, great hands, great return man..
Ryan Grice-Mullen CFL Playoff record - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9NN1hy-kUs

Julius Pruitt - Undrafted FA in 2009, http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=86192&draftyear=2009&genpos=WR Runs a 4.42 40. Our practice squad, and only practice squad WR left on our roster....

Taurus Johnson - Went to the practice squad at KC & Det, we nabbed him up in early Jan 2010 - http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/taurus-johnson?id=81835

The rest you know I would hope....

My thoughts are Mullens will be a sure competitor for either Bess or Ginn's job, or a back up plan if either are them are dealt away.. Slot guy, good return skills, fast...

Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:47 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

It will be interesting to see what affect Marshall has on the other receivers on the team. He is the first Pro-Bowl receiver most of these guys have been around, so they will get a first hand account on how he does his thing. It may help to make some of the other guys a little better by practicing with him regularly?

Hopefully how the fins wr behave off the field can help marshall?

Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:53 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I can't imagine a world where Bess place isn't safe. He stepped up and was a great catcher...however, don't know the guys(Mullen, Pruitt, Johnson) as you do, but hey..he didn't threaten him during the season anyway ;D

Big fan of Bess, btw ;)

Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:54 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

:yay: now I dont have to go out and draft him in my Madden 11 he will be on the team already lol

Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:01 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I think Hartline is our #2 & Bess in the slot. Considering Teddys drops, I don't we can even get a decent pick for him. So lets keep him as a Flying 4th

As for Marshall, . . I hope he takes advantage of this fresh start & listens to veterans like Pennington who exemplify respect for the game

Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:38 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

My thoughts are this.......we see what we can get for Ginn as far as the draft goes then we bring in a vet (wr) to show not only Marshall but all are young (wr) how to last long in this game and be productive on and off the field. He also has to be a guy that they now and still can produce out there for us not to be the guy but show how the guy should be.........Hmmmm I m thinking T.Holt look he can still play,no off field stuff with him and he still can catch and thats all we will ask him to do not to much just enough.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:01 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer/NFL Pick 'Em Champ

Brandon Marshall is a True #1 Pro Bowl caliber talent, now let's see if ParSparLand can handle his also considerable ego.

Imho, this elevates us considerably. Marshall has been facing consistent double-teams since starting, and it hasn't mattered. 3 straight 100-catch seasons, the last with 10 TDs, is incredibly impressive for a young player (only five have ever done it). He is young, fast, very strong and he is freaking huge.

Henne will have a reliable target that will attack the football. Provided he keeps his cerebellum on straight, Marshall is a bonafide beast.

To see how he did against our upcoming competition:
Last season vs New England...Marshall 8 catches, 64 yards, 2 TDs (Home and Away series in 2010)
"" vs. Cincinnati...4 catches, 29 yards (Away in 2010)
"" vs Cleveland...3 catches, 34 yards, 1 rush, 14 yards (Home in 2010)
"" vs Oakland (2 gms)...12 catches, 140 yards, 2 TDs, 1 rush, 5 yards (Away in 2010)
"" vs Baltimore...4 catches, 24 yards (Away in 2010)
"" vs Pittsburgh...11 catches, 112 yards (Home in 2010)

42 catches for 403 yards, 2 rushes for 19 yards and scored 4 TDs against guys we play this year, last year.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:06 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I don't know who is going, but I know who is staying.

Marshall
Hartline
Bess

After that, it doesn't really matter. That is our base corps in order. Hartline gets down the field as good as anyone and Bess is seemingly always open. Me likey.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:15 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

pawfectgent wrote:
Brandon Marshall is a True #1 Pro Bowl caliber talent, now let's see if ParSparLand can handle his also considerable ego.

Imho, this elevates us considerably. Marshall has been facing consistent double-teams since starting, and it hasn't mattered. 3 straight 100-catch seasons, the last with 10 TDs, is incredibly impressive for a young player (only five have ever done it). He is young, fast, very strong and he is freaking huge.

Henne will have a reliable target that will attack the football. Provided he keeps his cerebellum on straight, Marshall is a bonafide beast.

Last season vs New England...Marshall 8 catches, 64 yards, 2 TDs (Home and Away series in 2010)
"" vs Oakland (2 gms)...12 catches, 140 yards, 2 TDs, 1 rush, 5 yards (Away in 2010)

42 catches for 403 yards, 2 rushes for 19 yards and scored 4 TDs against guys we play this year, last year.

He had some crappy games in those games you listed...

Are you trying to argue that Marshall is inconsistent???

Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:17 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
pawfectgent wrote:

He had some crappy games in those games you listed...

Crappy? Maybe...but it's certainly production that wasn't here a year ago. A minimum of 3 grabs, and his worst yardage was against Baltimore (I don't remember that game, but Baltimore's defense is pretty good)...

I don't think I'd call any of those games crappy. Crappy for him maybe.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:30 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Turner will be gone....and I can see Camarillo traded for a pick if possible. As many have already said....Marshall as WR1, Hartline as WR2 and Bess in the slot. Ginn for depth....although maybe Camarillo is the better choice there. Mullens is probably meant as depth and special teams. Pruitt on practice squad as well as Taurus.....

Let's see teams put 8 in the box this year....Henne and Marshall should make them pay dearly for it if they do.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:12 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

for those of you who don't know I am from Hawaii. I am all too familiar with Ryan Grice-Mullen. He is a taller, slimmer, and faster version of one Davone Bess. They, along with Jason Rivers and CJ Hawthorne became the Dread Heads.

Mullen is very quick and very agile. I would say the only difference with Mullen is that he sometimes uses his body a little, but not much. He is a very good route runner and makes quick turns up field. He doesn't dance around. He's got good balance out of his cuts and has a quick burst of the line which makes him very effective off the line.

Was signed by the Texans coming out of college and got hurt during TC. Was cut and hooked up in the CFL. He could benefit from the practice squad and be a major contributor if someone goes down.

In uniform they look a lot like each other if they didn't have numbers it would be very difficult to tell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAftqjEd ... re=related

Last edited by finfan808 on Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:28 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

finfan808 wrote:
Dead Heads.

I hope you mean Dread.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:01 pm

Rich wrote:

Wasn't trying to argue at all. In the seven games he played against folks we'll play in 2010, he piled up 400+ yards and 4 TDs.
If his average in those games was used for a season, he'd finish with 930 yards and 9 TDs.
That is waaaaay more than we got out of any of our WRs. It was accumulated against double teams (please tell me that it's obvious to see Marshall drew more attention than Jabar Gafney).
I was listing it as a positive, not to be denigrating.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:06 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Keep in mind who he had throwing to him last year as well. Its not like Peyton Manning was back there chucking the ball to him each down.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]