View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ] 
 Miami wanted Tavon Austin....Dion top player on their board 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Miami wanted Tavon Austin....Dion top player on their board
Really interesting tweets from Darlington.

https://twitter.com/JeffDarlington

Quote:
On Mar 12, after Dolphins landed Mike Wallace, I tweeted about team's "intriguing" draft plans. Many have asked for weeks about that tweet.

I feel comfortable now sharing: That plan, at that time, involved the pursuit of Tavon Austin. It was a hope all the way until yesterday.

When Dolphins realized they couldn't get Austin, rather than hitting brakes, Ireland put his foot on the gas pedal… and got Jordan instead.

More on Miami: They also coveted Tavon Austin but knew Bills wanted to trade to Rams outside division. So they took a shot at trade to 3...

So Jeff Ireland took a shot. He called Oakland to see if he could trade up to get best player on his entire board -- even ahead of Tavon...

Ireland knew Oakland wanted Hayden, who was likely to be around at No. 12. So he made his pitch to Raiders. And… they bit on the trade.

Ireland couldn't move up to get Austin… so he moved up even more to get Jordan.

Both. RT @ATLGreg1: So did Austin price himself out of their interest or did possibility of Jordan only become a reality yesterday?

Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:46 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Miami wanted Tavon Austin....Dion top player on their board
I am glad it worked out the way it did. Austin would have been a luxury pick. Pass rusher was a legit need.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:03 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Well, kudos to our draft guru Tone who defended Travis Austin until his fingers bled.

:computer:

Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:06 pm
Profile WWW

Big Dave wrote:
Well, kudos to our draft guru Tone who defended Travis Austin until his fingers bled.

:computer:

Travis Austin?

Sick 'em, Tony!!

Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:20 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

this doesnt make any sense. They wanted Austin but knew they couldn't get him??? We moved up to 3, we could have had him.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:23 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

swerve13 wrote:
this doesnt make any sense. They wanted Austin but knew they couldn't get him??? We moved up to 3, we could have had him.

They wanted Jordan more.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:27 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

swerve13 wrote:

Yes it does. They had Austin targeted as the best pick they could get at 12 until it looked like he would go higher. I'm sure they had Fisher, Joekel, and Jordan ranked 1 thru 3, but thought they couldn't get that high...

Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:28 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Apparently they had Jordan ranked higher on their board than both Fisher and Joeckel

Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:59 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:

:hithead:

Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:18 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Finfansc posted this some time ago...And it was fluffed off as smoke and mirrors

Quote:
Quote:
Dolphins possibly looking to trade up

This from NFLDraftIndiser..(NFL Draft Bites)

NFL_Draft_Insider ‏@NFLDraftBites 23h

#Dolphins have engaged Raiders & Browns in preliminary discussions about trading up. Targeting an Offensive Tackle or Dee Milliner.

Should bring a smile to some of your faces.......

Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:30 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'm so glad it played out the way it did. Austin would have been a mistake in my opinion. Jordan on the other hand is a game changer that fills two areas of need. He provides us with a stand-up Sam linebacker that can cover down, stop the run, and pass rush off the edge on 1st and 2nd down. He also gives us a defensive end that can put his hand in the dirt and get after the quarterback on 3rd down. While Austin is a dynamic slot receiver, that's all he'll ever be, a slot receiver. Jordan is simply a more impactful prospect in my opinion.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:36 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Quote:
While Austin is a dynamic slot receiver, that's all he'll ever be, a slot receiver. Jordan is simply a more impactful prospect in my opinion.

And a running back... and a return man...

Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:37 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

wkloiber13 wrote:
I'm so glad it played out the way it did. Austin would have been a mistake in my opinion. Jordan on the other hand is a game changer that fills two areas of need. He provides us with a stand-up Sam linebacker that can cover down, stop the run, and pass rush off the edge on 1st and 2nd down. He also gives us a defensive end that can put his hand in the dirt and get after the quarterback on 3rd down. While Austin is a dynamic slot receiver, that's all he'll ever be, a slot receiver. Jordan is simply a more impactful prospect in my opinion.

Better than taking an OT...Big 3?

When i saw they moved up i was pissed..Thought it was going to be a lineman

Last edited by Kev1321 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:39 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
Quote:
While Austin is a dynamic slot receiver, that's all he'll ever be, a slot receiver. Jordan is simply a more impactful prospect in my opinion.

I don't think he'll be put in the backfield all that often. He'll definitely be used in the return game though

Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:40 pm
Profile WWW

cspooner13 wrote:
Rich wrote:
Quote:

I don't think he'll be put in the backfield all that often. He'll definitely be used in the return game though

They'll use him on end arounds and in motion a lot I bet. And hide him in the backfield on third downs.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:48 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

You're a fool if you don't try to utilize him on end arounds.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:00 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Quote:

Yes, in the long and distinguished tradition of successful players nicknamed "Slash"

Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:18 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rich wrote:
Quote:

Don't forget that he can go deep.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:25 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Mindtornado wrote:
Rich wrote:
Quote:

Don't forget that he can go deep.

We just paid a dude huge cheese to go deep. A pass rusher was a legit need. Wake needed help as teams were scheming against him. With another guy that can rush the passer, they can't slide the whole line to Wake. If you want to beat the Patriots, you have to do two things.

You have to get to Tom Brady early and often. Move him off his spot, or, preferably, put him on the ground. And then you have to make sure that you can still score more points. But you have to beat Tom Brady before you can beat the Patriots. Another pass rusher will bring us a long way towards doing that.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:51 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Quote:

How he'll be used remains to be seen. I seriously doubt they'll have him coming out of the backfield often. They don't want that little frame getting squished by the linemen up front. He won't last long if they use him like that. But I agree that he'll contribute on special teams. Also, it remains to be seen if he will be able to handle the hits he'll have to absorb over the middle. Not everyone can take hits like Welker over the middle. All it takes is one linebacker that wants to make a point and the guy is knocked out of the game. Make no mistake, his toughness will be tested.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:00 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

wkloiber13 wrote:
Rich wrote:
Quote:

How he'll be used remains to be seen. I seriously doubt they'll have him coming out of the backfield often. They don't want that little frame getting squished by the linemen up front. He won't last long if they use him like that. But I agree that he'll contribute on special teams. Also, it remains to be seen if he will be able to handle the hits he'll have to absorb over the middle. Not everyone can take hits like Welker over the middle. All it takes is one linebacker that wants to make a point and the guy is knocked out of the game. Make no mistake, his toughness will be tested.

You know, I'm not as worried about that as I thought I would be. Looking at his tape, he has a pretty amazing ability to bounce off tacklers. Granted, it's far superior athletes at the NFL level, but not a lot of good, form tackling anymore.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:03 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

wkloiber13 wrote:

Austin would have been a great pick, and the final weapon in the fin's arsenal.
But boom or bust, Jordan is a pick, you can't say no to...
We got better on offense, but we should have one of the best defenses in the league now!

Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:44 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

quote]

We just paid a dude huge cheese to go deep. A pass rusher was a legit need. Wake needed help as teams were scheming against him. With another guy that can rush the passer, they can't slide the whole line to Wake. If you want to beat the Patriots, you have to do two things.

You have to get to Tom Brady early and often. Move him off his spot, or, preferably, put him on the ground. And then you have to make sure that you can still score more points. But you have to beat Tom Brady before you can beat the Patriots. Another pass rusher will bring us a long way towards doing that.[/quote]

You can never have too many weapons on offense.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:45 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

The only team ranked outside the top half in defense to make the playoffs was Washington.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:55 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

apatos19 wrote:
quote]

You have to get to Tom Brady early and often. Move him off his spot, or, preferably, put him on the ground. And then you have to make sure that you can still score more points. But you have to beat Tom Brady before you can beat the Patriots. Another pass rusher will bring us a long way towards doing that.

You can never have too many weapons on offense.[/quote]

And you can never have too many guys that can get to Tom Brady. Before Jordan, we only had 1.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:59 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

eleaf wrote:
apatos19 wrote:
quote]

You can never have too many weapons on offense.

And you can never have too many guys that can get to Tom Brady. Before Jordan, we only had 1.[/quote]

Don't get me wrong, I love the Jordan pick and well aware to beat Brady, we need to rush him furiously (As the Giants did.) I'm also well aware NE's plan these days is to outscore you as fast as possible.

Not sure which player Austin or Jordan will prove to be the better pick in the long run. But, as history is proving, offense wins the SuperBowl. Wallace is great, but we could use more...

Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:05 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

cspooner13 wrote:
The only team ranked outside the top half in defense to make the playoffs was Washington.

I agree, offense is what wins. I think we need one more playmaker to get there... but we are so close...

D Jordan was too good to pass up though. And i do remember how good SF was on defense this year. The SB could have gone either way...

Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:09 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

apatos19 wrote:
cspooner13 wrote:

I agree, offense is what wins. I think we need one more playmaker to get there... but we are so close...

D Jordan was too good to pass up though. And i do remember how good SF was on defense this year. The SB could have gone either way...

I thought it was pretty clear that Defense wins, actually.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:38 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]