View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ] 
 3rd Round-Miami Selects Dallas Thomas Univ. Tenn 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

3rd Round-Miami Selects Dallas Thomas Univ. Tenn
Miami gets their tackle ( Maybe )

Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:28 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Miami Selects Dallas Thomas Univ. Tenn
I think he's a guard.

I dreamt we drafted him a couple nights ago. Not sure why I've had a gut feeling about him. I mean it makes sense...Athletic, OG that they needed. Still weird.

Miami needs to take a WR at 82 though. This is the spot....Patton and Bailey make so much sense. Denard Robinson and Ellington are my 2 wild cards.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:33 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Phins Rock wrote:
I think he's a guard.

I dreamt we drafted him a couple nights ago. Not sure why I've had a gut feeling about him. I mean it makes sense...Athletic, OG that they needed. Still weird.

Miami needs to take a WR at 82 though. This is the spot....Patton and Bailey make so much sense. Denard Robinson and Ellington are my 2 wild cards.

He's played tackle in his career too so it will be interesting what they decide here

Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:34 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Position flexibility is a plus.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:36 pm

Could compete at RT.....Could replace Incognito at guard. Good pick. Talented, played in the SEC.

Here's a pretty cool stat: "At left tackle, Dallas Thomas held Melvin Ingram and Jadeveon Clowney to 2 tackles, no sacks, 0 TFL's."

Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:37 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
I think he's a guard.

I say take a chance on Marcus Lattimore.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:40 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Post Re: 3rd Round-Miami Selects Dallas Thomas Univ. Tenn
Quote:
Analysis

Strengths

Displays the potential to start as either a tackle or guard in the NFL. Plays with natural bend in the knees, and flexbility. Possesses excellent agility. Can sit down into his blocks and anchor. Can block down yet spring back outside to cut off outside blitzers, also gets to second level quickly and shows good speed and hustle downfield. Very good at pulling, and is always attempting to drive his assignment to the ground. Maintains balance while extending his arms to keep outside rushers out of the pocket, does not give up after initial contact. Good recovery speed to cut off spin and inside counter moves. Goes out to meet his man and packs a punch to stop their momentum. Comes off the ball very well from a three-point stance in the run game.

Weaknesses

Foot quickness is a bit lacking. Must continue to get stronger in the lower body, will give up a bit of ground against powerful defenders -– especially when he fails to land his punch correctly. Must consistently get his hands up quickly, both in pass protection and when trying to negate second-level defenders. Lunges towards his man out of a three-point stance on occasion, overextending to allow him to pass by.

NFL Comparison: Rodger Saffold

Bottom LineThomas has three years of starting experience in the SEC under his belt. He spent his Sophomore and Junior seasons at left tackle, before moving to guard in his senior season. Thomas plays with great flexibility. He also has the ability to anchor into his blocks. Thomas likely profiles better as an offensive guard, but is capable of playing left tackle in the NFL, despite less than ideal foot quickness. Thomas should be a top-50 selection.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/ ... id=2539317

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:41 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Man.....if he is our OT hopeful, I am not impressed. Another big body, then we trade pick 82. Who needs offensive playmakers??

Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:43 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Man.....if he is our OT hopeful, I am not impressed. Another big body, then we trade pick 82. Who needs offensive playmakers??

You're just going to b e negative huh but look there will be a wr in the next round and with 3 4th rounders you can get bodies and maybe studs

Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:46 pm

FrustratedFinFan wrote:

They needed a guard. I think that's what he is.

His arms are short for a tackle.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:48 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Well, i can clearly see offensive linemen as valuable.....but the team has been throwing high picks and free agent money at line for awhile. I guess the playmakers now come from free agency. If the team can make the playoffs this year, then maybe Ireland might be around to draft some offensive playmakers next year.

This year is going to be a wild ride. Lots of new faces, both free agents and rookies. 2nd year QB. I really like the moves on defense so far.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:56 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I see guard in this kid as well PR.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:07 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Terron Armstead went two picks before him.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:15 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I know nothing about this guy. I imagine they have a plan with some OL flexibility with this guy since he's played both OG and OT in college. My guess is backup as a rookie, maybe looking to take a starting role his 2nd or 3rd year?

Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:27 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

Yep, I saw that as well. I was praying he'd fall to us. But honestly I think that if we wanted him we would have known to move up and get him. I think we liked Thomas' versatility. I think we plan on letting him compete for the ORT spot in camp. Worst case scenario it seems like we've got a solid OG prospect. I saw us taking him in the 3rd in more than one mock draft. But I'm with you Rich, I kind of wonder what would have happened if Armstead was still on the board. Would we have still taken Thomas?

Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:38 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

wkloiber13 wrote:
Rich wrote:

Yep, I saw that as well. I was praying he'd fall to us. But honestly I think that if we wanted him we would have known to move up and get him. I think we liked Thomas' versatility. I think we plan on letting him compete for the ORT spot in camp. Worst case scenario it seems like we've got a solid OG prospect. I saw us taking him in the 3rd in more than one mock draft. But I'm with you Rich, I kind of wonder what would have happened if Armstead was still on the board. Would we have still taken Thomas?

Thomas isn't going to be playing RT for us this year. He's a guard for us right now, probably pushing Incognito. If we sign Winston, he's going to be our RT. If we don't sign him, we'll make another move, be it tomorrow or free-agency to get at RT or LT and kick Martin to RT. Either way, I don't see this kid at tackle this year.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:43 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

cspooner13 wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
Rich wrote:

Thomas isn't going to be playing RT for us this year. He's a guard for us right now, probably pushing Incognito. If we sign Winston, he's going to be our RT. If we don't sign him, we'll make another move, be it tomorrow or free-agency to get at RT or LT and kick Martin to RT. Either way, I don't see this kid at tackle this year.

According to Philbin during his press conference he said that they would start him out over on the left side where he played in college (LOT 2 years / LOG 1 year). Take that for what its worth but to me it sounds like they're going to give him a tryout for the left tackle spot. Unless of course they plan on using him to replace Incognito. Philbin says the kid was well coached and he likes his size and technique. That and the fact that he faced some pretty good competition in the SEC and looked good at LOT. Overall, while nothing is certain, it seems like they're pretty high on Thomas.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:04 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Thomas isn't going to be playing RT for us this year. He's a guard for us right now, probably pushing Incognito. If we sign Winston, he's going to be our RT. If we don't sign him, we'll make another move, be it tomorrow or free-agency to get at RT or LT and kick Martin to RT. Either way, I don't see this kid at tackle this year.[/quote]

According to Philbin during his press conference he said that they would start him out over on the left side where he played in college (LOT 2 years / LOG 1 year). Take that for what its worth but to me it sounds like they're going to give him a tryout for the left tackle spot. Unless of course they plan on using him to replace Incognito. Philbin says the kid was well coached and he likes his size and technique. That and the fact that he faced some pretty good competition in the SEC and looked good at LOT. Overall, while nothing is certain, it seems like they're pretty high on Thomas.[/quote]

Don't get too caught up in Coach speak. Our OL is a work in progress. We'll see what happens, but I expect Miami to make another move to shore it up. it's really the last thing Ireland has to adress. If he does, this team is a serious playoff contender next year.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:17 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

apatos19 wrote:
Don't get too caught up in Coach speak. Our OL is a work in progress. We'll see what happens, but I expect Miami to make another move to shore it up. it's really the last thing Ireland has to adress. If he does, this team is a serious playoff contender next year.

I guess we'll find out when they get to camp. I think they'll start him out as a tackle and see if he can handle it. But if he fails then at the bare minimum he's a prototype guard.

I agree that we might look to add another offensive lineman (or two). Jones from Alabama is still on the board. He is my favorite offensive line prospect in the draft perhaps. He played left guard, left tackle, and center at Alabama. Not only that, but he played very well at every position. The reason he was moved from left tackle to center was because Saban wanted the five best athletes on the field at the same time and Jones was the most intelligent one who could handle running the line and calling out the blocking assignments. Also, we could look at Schwenke from Cal. He's a solid interior o-line prospect that I think could compete for playing time right away. He played two years at left guard and one at center. If we land either one, Incognito and Jerry might be in trouble, Jerry more so than Incognito.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:26 am

WK, they didn't draft this kid to play tackle. Watch the film....

Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:05 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

2013 will be a redshirt yr for Thomas & Richie will be gone after 2013. He doesn't fit the system & is costly.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:08 am

Dphins4me wrote:
2013 will be a redshirt yr for Thomas & Richie will be gone after 2013. He doesn't fit the system & is costly.

Yep, that writing is on the wall.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:09 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rich wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:

At least they are looking ahead that's a good thing and one less need next year

Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:11 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:

Philben said that he is going to play on the left side, and I am thinking guard as well.

If the Dolphins pick up a veteran LT, Incognito may be gone this year.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:13 am
Profile WWW

Big Dave wrote:
Philben said that he is going to play on the left side, and I am thinking guard as well.

If the Dolphins pick up a veteran LT, Incognito may be gone this year.

There's always a chance of that, but Incognito has performed well for the Dolphins. They can afford to keep him one more year and groom this kid.

This is the last year of Incognito's deal. They'll let him play it out and then let him walk.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:23 am

Dphins4me wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

Richie was gone either way after this season. They needed a young replacement; they got one.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]