View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Miami trades back up into round 3 - Will Davis, CB, Utah St 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Miami trades back up into round 3 - Will Davis, CB, Utah St
cspooner13 wrote:
Again with the "level of competition" thing.

The best team Utah State faced all season long was Wisconsin, a running football team. The best receiver he faced all year was Quinton Patton, who had 11 receptions and 182 yards in that game. Patton will likely be drafted this year, but at this point he's going to be a middle or late round pick.

Bottom line, playing in the WAC and facing a watered down Mountain West schedule isn't going to validate the kid in my eyes. But all of that said, I love the production and potential of this kid. I think he's a guy that could take Carroll's roster spot this year, and eventually take over for Marshall in the nickel if he develops.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:53 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

If a kid can play, he can play. Period. End of discussion. I don't give two sh*ts who his "competition" was. The NFL has literally tons of examples of wonderful players who came out of tiny schools. Fred Jackson went to Coe (my alma mater's rival) for Christ' sake

Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:00 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

cspooner13 wrote:
If a kid can play, he can play. Period. End of discussion. I don't give two sh*ts who his "competition" was. The NFL has literally tons of examples of wonderful players who came out of tiny schools. Fred Jackson went to Coe (my alma mater's rival) for Christ' sake

You can't teach great ball skills and we will be talking all night if we had to name all the small school studs in the league

Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:02 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

k-dash wrote:
Rich wrote:
Never heard of him so he is a guaranteed BUST!

Love the sarcasm, Rich. Exactly how many people had heard of that skinny kid from Akron a few years ago? Jason, umm... what was his name again?

You mean that guy who played for the Jets?

Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:04 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

cspooner13 wrote:

I agree. But when you get abused by a guy who will likely be a special team player at the next level you wonder if he'll be able to handle elite talent. I'm not arguing the kid has potential. But whether or not he can play at the next level remains to be seen. He'll have to prove it just like everyone else. As a late 3rd round pick he'll have to fight for playing time this year. Same goes for the kid from Boise State. He's going to have to fight for playing time.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:05 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Everyone has to fight for playing time with coach Philbin, and it has nothing to do with what school they went to. Not everyone who went to a small school went there because they weren't recruited by the big schools. Look at Terron Armstead. He could have played in the SEC, but went to Arkansas-Pine Bluff because the bigger schools wouldn't let him be a track & field athlete in addition to playing football. Not saying that was the case with Davis or Taylor, just throwing it out there

Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:13 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

All these kids will have to come in and fight for playing time. Jamar Taylor has a chance to start and Will Davis has a chance to contribute, but they will have to win those battles in camp.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:13 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

The rookies just like the veterans have to fight for playing time and the best will be left standing. Those veterans also having the salaries they have if they dont kill it then we save money by cutting them or even trading them for a pick

Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:15 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

See: Davone Bess

Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:17 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
This is from Rotoworld.com.

Dolphins traded up to select Utah State CB Will Davis with the No. 93 overall pick, sending pick Nos. 109, 146 and 224 to Green Bay.
Davis (5-foot-11 1/4, 186) ranked second nationally in pass breakups (17) as a senior, picking off five and recording 4.5 tackles for loss. He ran 4.53 at the Combine with an explosive 10-foot-7 broad jump, also repping 226 pounds 16 times. Davis is small with short arms (31 1/2"), so he may be best suited to nickel back once he fully develops. The Fins are dangerously needy at cornerback, so they're doubling down with Davis after drafting Jamar Taylor.
Related: Packers

Phinsfan, did you misquote this? It can't be from rotoworld. There's no cheap shot at Ireland anywhere

Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:09 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

cspooner13 wrote:

He played at Hawaii. They're part of the Mountain West Conference. Not only that, but when Bess played there they faced multiple ranked opponents each year. They were nationally ranked and undefeated going into their bowl game against Georgia his senior year. While they lost the game, Bess had seven receptions. Completely different situation in my opinion.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:17 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

wkloiber13 wrote:
cspooner13 wrote:

He played at Hawaii. They're part of the Mountain West Conference. Not only that, but when Bess played there they faced multiple ranked opponents each year. They were nationally ranked and undefeated going into their bowl game against Georgia his senior year. While they lost the game, Bess had seven receptions. Completely different situation in my opinion.

You misinterpret me, my comment was in reference to someone saying "Those veterans also having the salaries they have if they dont kill it then we save money by cutting them or even trading them for a pick"

Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:40 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

If this is the guy you wanted, then why not just stay pat earlier in the 3rd round and take him? You could have kept your 5th and 7th round pick. I guess someone pressed the panic button when they saw how the picks were going.....

Is it a matter of saving money on the contract for the pick?

Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:05 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Brent Grimes is small with short arms, nobody was complaining about him! This kid, like Grimes, has Spud Webb type verticle ability. Don't judge a book by it's cover. I like the idea of doubling down at Corner. We still need a OT though. I hope we double down there today. I'll be happy after that.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:44 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

IamPZ wrote:
Phin wrote:
So we gave up a 5th and 7th to move down in the third .....?

Obtained a 4th as well.

So when the smoke cleared,

We traded Bess and a 5th to move up a few spots in both the the 3rd and 4th round.

Drafted a CB with the first 3rd round pick.

Traded the second 3rd for two 4ths.

Then traded one of the 4ths, a 5th, and a 7th for a 3rd.

So when its all said and done, we lost Bess and some late round picks but gained an extra 4th round pick.

Is all that correct? Just trying to keep up with Ireland! Lol

Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:54 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'm lost, but that happens easily these days. I just want to win the division this year. That is a realistic goal. I don't care about the means anymore.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:56 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

rodneyfaile wrote:
IamPZ wrote:
Phin wrote:
So we gave up a 5th and 7th to move down in the third .....?

Obtained a 4th as well.

So when the smoke cleared,

We traded Bess and a 5th to move up a few spots in both the the 3rd and 4th round.

Drafted a CB with the first 3rd round pick.

Traded the second 3rd for two 4ths.

Then traded one of the 4ths, a 5th, and a 7th for a 3rd.

So when its all said and done, we lost Bess and some late round picks but gained an extra 4th round pick.

Is all that correct? Just trying to keep up with Ireland! Lol

Miami Herald:

After selecting Thomas, Ireland really started wheeling and dealing. First, he traded his second third-round pick — 82nd overall — to New Orleans for two fourth-round picks (106th and 109th).

But he wasn’t done, slipping back into the third round to get Davis, thanks to a trade with the Packers.

The Dolphins gave Green Bay picks in the fourth, fifth and seventh rounds for the Packers’ selection at 93.

-----

So it's almost like trading Bess, a 5th, and a 7th for a 4th right?

Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:07 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

People need to take the time to find out a little bit about the kid before they dog the pick out or state they never heard of him. Find out about him.

Kid looks like a good football player. Not all the talent drafted come from the bigger schools.

Well said Tony I couldn't agree with you more.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:35 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I like his attitude. I hope he does well. The Dolphins have kept a close eye on him.

CB Will Davis wrote:
(On what his strengths as a player are) – “Ball skills. That’s one thing that I think I have above a lot of people is my ball skills, high pointing the ball. I know my Pro Day showed it, the Combine showed it. Just of course, athletic. At the combine I was a 4.43 guy and everything like that. I’m just athletic and very natural to the game. I’m very fluid, a fluid player, and I’m a quick learner. I’ve haven’t been playing the game for that long in a sense, but the years I have I learned it quick and picked it up fast. Of course this last year I was able to make a lot of plays. I just want to go out there and learn quick. That’s one thing I think I’m good at, and just go out and compete. I definitely have the build for it, so it’s really just going there and proving, learning as fast as I can and do what I’ve been doing at every level I’ve been at, which is be one of the best players. From JC (Junior College) to everywhere I’ve been, it’s just be one of the best players there, and I’ve proven it at the D-I level. Now in the NFL I’m going to try and do the same thing.”

(On what kind of coverage schemes he played in college) – “Well at Utah State, Coach Gary Anderson is a man defense, a 3-4 type defense that plays a lot of man. He trusts his corners, and it helps us make a lot of plays. So I mean I ran a lot more man than zone I would say, and whether it’s pressing or playing off, I feel like I am good at both. And inside, I played a lot inside my junior year. You know nickel and dime stuff, so I feel like I can do it all. Like I said, I haven’t been stuck to one kind of thing. I’ve been inside, outside, special teams and playing off, playing on. So it’s kind of just molded me into the player I am. Coach Gary Anderson did really good at that and put me where he thought I could make plays.”

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/artic ... 2396ddd9d9

Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:38 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I like the two corner picks. These guys will come in and compete and that's what Ireland is doing, bringing in talent that will duke it out in practice and preseason. You never know who will become a future star.

He picked two guys with good size with a nose for the football and physical playing cover guys.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:42 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:
Miami trades 82 for 106 & 109

Then trade back into the 3rd @ pick 93 & give up 109, 146 & 224

Maybe I'm missing something. ( Pick 109 is a wash since its in both deals. )

So basically its 11 spots in Rd. 3 & picks 146 & 224 for 106

Good deal? You decide

It looks like Ireland had to make an adjustment as there was a run on cornerbacks. This is good as in the past he has not been so quick to adjust to a run on a position.

Jeff Ireland wrote:
(On the rationale behind trading out of the third round and then later trading back into it) – “Well, we had a couple of players there and when you have a couple of players you feel like there’s value there that you know you’re going to get one so we traded back (and) picked up (an) additional fourth. (We) saw some corners go off, you know there, and I felt like we need to go back in there and get him. So that’s what happened. Lost a couple of players on board at that point and felt like we needed to go back in and get him.”

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/artic ... 1d54512d93

Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:43 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'm liking this draft so far. I'll miss Bess, he was a company man, but we needed the picks.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:45 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

The trading is hard to keep up with but maybe Ireland originally thought Davis would be there in the 4th but sensed someone was targeting him in the 3rd so he made his move.

As for dumping Bess, they wanted the guy gone. Rather than cut him they improved their draft situation so its simply gravy.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:45 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Wish him well in Cleveland. He's a selfless charitable sure handed ball catcher and I hope he can help that team. They need it!

Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:47 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I wasn't thrilled with trading Bess, and didn't like trading out of the third, but after the dust settled on all the trades afterwards, it looks like Ireland continues to do a great job this offseason.

Go Dolphins!

Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:11 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator

Going off Ireland's comments and after watching some Davis tape, I think it's clear he's a long shot to contribute much this season.

He's pretty immature on the field. Way too over aggressive at times and you can tell he doesn't know what he doing often. He's talented, but he's a project.

Not somebody I would have taken that high, but we'll see how it turns out.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:38 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Going off Ireland's comments and after watching some Davis tape, I think it's clear he's a long shot to contribute much this season.

He's pretty immature on the field. Way too over aggressive at times and you can tell he doesn't know what he doing often. He's talented, but he's a project.

This makes you a "hater" PR. Just thought I'd forewarn you.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:43 am

Rock Sexton wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

This makes you a "hater" PR. Just thought I'd forewarn you.

Being skeptical and calling a CB that's the same exact size of every other CB we've ever acquired and very physical "small" are 2 different things.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:46 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Phins Rock wrote:

Sometimes he seems a step behind on coverage. He does elevate to get to the ball and that's pretty promising. I think in his first year, as long as he isn't on an island he'll contribute in the secondary. He'll definitely have a rookie learning curve.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:57 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

i'm surprised so many haven't heard of davis.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:30 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

cspooner13 wrote:
I'm just saying that I think it was a mistake with Poyer still on the board.

Poyer got drafted in the 7th round.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:12 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
cspooner13 wrote:

I'm not sure if I've ever been more wrong about a player. Wow.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:08 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

cspooner13 wrote:
Rich wrote:
cspooner13 wrote:

I'm not sure if I've ever been more wrong about a player. Wow.

It was the level of competition that caused Poyer to drop.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:25 pm

There has to be an injury or a recent off the field issue we aren't aware of with Poyer.

He's a much better player than 7th round. Hell, I mocked him to us in the 2nd round.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:01 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

What is it though? There has to be something we're unaware of. I wanted to put him in my first round, I just couldn't do it. I figured him off the board early round 2.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:07 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

cspooner13 wrote:
What is it though? There has to be something we're unaware of. I wanted to put him in my first round, I just couldn't do it. I figured him off the board early round 2.

speed is an issue

Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:40 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Will Davis, CB, Utah State
Height: 5-11. Weight: 186. Arm: 31 1/4. Hand: 8 3/8.
40 Time: 4.51.
Projected Round (2013): 3-5.
4/24/13: Davis had an impressive senior season in which he demonstrated special athleticism alongside a rare combination of size and speed. Davis went on a tear during the second half of the season, snagging an interception per game in five straight games. He displayed excellent ball skills in 2012, recording 17 passes broken up. Davis' 22 total passes defensed led the nation. He also had 54 tackles with 4.5 tackles for a loss.

Davis was quieter than expected at the Senior Bowl and didn't do much to stand out. That ho-hum trend continued at the Combine.

-Walter Football

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:57 am

cspooner13 wrote:

Slow 40 time and 8 reps, poor backpedal, can't press, no top end or make up speed.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:22 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Quote:
Weaknesses
Has issues with beating blocks from the receiver. Will lower his head and give sub-par tackling efforts.

That is a severe understatement! He is non-existent in the run game. He gives absolutely no effort! He has nice ball skills and gets vertical in the pass game, but he is really awful in run support. I don't see him playing much this season. I would be very surprised. I can only see he him coming in on dime or quarter packages. I think it was a MAJOR reach if you ask me.

Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:50 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

TheCarver13 wrote:
That is a severe understatement! He is non-existent in the run game. He gives absolutely no effort! He has nice ball skills and gets vertical in the pass game, but he is really awful in run support. I don't see him playing much this season. I would be very surprised. I can only see he him coming in on dime or quarter packages. I think it was a MAJOR reach if you ask me.

I don't get the pick and I don't get how we ended up navigating to get him in the first place.

Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next