View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Jelani Jenkins & Dion Sims 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Jelani Jenkins & Dion Sims
Misi's spot is the one I see getting upgraded. Haven't been impressed with him at all. Would love to see Kaddu or Jenkins unseat him.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:16 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Dphins4me wrote:
cspooner13 wrote:
But, for further comparison, Gronk put up one more rep in the bench press. Gronk has longer arms by over an inch, is 1 1/4" taller and their hand size and weight is virtually identical

Reading all this stuff, reminds me how JJ told us how Larry Shannon was bigger, faster and had more production than Randy Moss. I sure am glad Miami did not draft Moss, since they landed Shannon two Rds. later.

It reminds me of the time you told us Cam Newton might catch on as a Tight End. Or that Tannehill shouldn't even see the field.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:19 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

lol@ Kev!

Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:21 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Finhead34 wrote:
lol@ Kev!

Wonder how fast Pitta or Heath Miller are? Terrible draft picks that they are. :hithead:

Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:33 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Kev1321 wrote:
Finhead34 wrote:
lol@ Kev!

Wonder how fast Pitta or Heath Miller are? Terrible draft picks that they are. :hithead:

Those two can block, good in the red zone and can go down the seams which Sims can do when in shape. I'll put it like this if he was at a team who actually had a qb and knew how to use him he'd be a day 2 pick

Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:44 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Finhead34 wrote:
the Miami scouts and coaching staff are the ones that break down film on these guys, so they must know a bit more than us.

So they're infallible and never make mistakes scouting players right? Remind me again, what was our retention % of players drafted over the last 4-5 years ....

Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:13 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Kev1321 wrote:
It reminds me of the time you told us Cam Newton might catch on as a Tight End..
Again? Seriously? Cluttering up another thread with your personal BS? Is your groin still longing for me? Are we going down that road once again? Hopefully you will one day grow up & understand tongue & cheek comments. I still believe Newton is a better runner than passer.

Kev1321 wrote:
Or that Tannehill shouldn't even see the field.
For as raw as he was, I felt it was the best move. So I might have been wrong, he showed far move in camp than I expected and playing in his college system is probably the reason he was able to. Its only a big deal for you. Its hard to believe that you memorize all my post. I guess other posters should be jealous that they mean so little to you.

Last edited by Dphins4me on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:25 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

ag_fin_90 wrote:
Those two can block, good in the red zone and can go down the seams which Sims can do when in shape. I'll put it like this if he was at a team who actually had a qb and knew how to use him he'd be a day 2 pick

Hope you are right.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:26 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

So they're infallible and never make mistakes scouting players right? Remind me again, what was our retention % of players drafted over the last 4-5 years ....

Rock, it is a two way street though. Of course they miss on prospects, but they also find good ones too. Time will tell, my point being is that after the first three highly ranked Tightends in this draft, it is a crap shoot. Miami needed a blocking TE, this guy is "supposed" to be one of the best in the draft.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:51 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

In the last 36 Yrs Miami has not spent anything higher than a 3rd on a TE. One could say its why they have always struggled with that position.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:32 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Because we all know anyone picked after the 3rd round couldn't be any good :hithead:

Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:44 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Kev1321 wrote:
Because we all know anyone picked after the 3rd round couldn't be any good

So so weak. Even for you & your personal BS.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:56 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Finhead34 wrote:
Misi's spot is the one I see getting upgraded. Haven't been impressed with him at all. Would love to see Kaddu or Jenkins unseat him.

very true, I don't think Misi fits well anymore. We have smaller faster linebackers now.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:06 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Kev1321 wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
cspooner13 wrote:
But, for further comparison, Gronk put up one more rep in the bench press. Gronk has longer arms by over an inch, is 1 1/4" taller and their hand size and weight is virtually identical

Reading all this stuff, reminds me how JJ told us how Larry Shannon was bigger, faster and had more production than Randy Moss. I sure am glad Miami did not draft Moss, since they landed Shannon two Rds. later.

It reminds me of the time you told us Cam Newton might catch on as a Tight End. Or that Tannehill shouldn't even see the field.

c'mon don't go down this road again

Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:07 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

swerve13 wrote:
c'mon don't go down this road again
Its man lust.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:13 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Dphins4me wrote:
In the last 36 Yrs Miami has not spent anything higher than a 3rd on a TE. One could say its why they have always struggled with that position.

He's not wrong. Of the Top 7 TE's in the league right now, only 1 (Aaron Hernandez) was drafted outside the first 3 rounds.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:55 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

cspooner13 wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:

He's not wrong. Of the Top 7 TE's in the league right now, only 1 (Aaron Hernandez) was drafted outside the first 3 rounds.

We have spent a 3rd on te..And more than 1 pro bowl at te

Who is your top 7 because thats not receiving yards.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:19 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

My top 7 (in no particular order): Gronk, Jimmy Graham, Aaron Hernandez, Tony Gonzalez, Heath Miller, Vernon Davis, Jason Witten.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:55 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

PFF has Koa Misi rated as the 10 the best outside LB in the 4-3 D. It has him credited with 6 sacks in 2012. (NFL stats has him at 3.5) PFF graded him 9th in run stop and 15th in coverage.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:15 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

cspooner13 wrote:
My top 7 (in no particular order): Gronk, Jimmy Graham, Aaron Hernandez, Tony Gonzalez, Heath Miller, Vernon Davis, Jason Witten.

That's based on?
Hernandez 4th

No Gates undrafted
Whitten was a 3rd..led the NFL in yds last year
Myers 860yds last year 6th round
Daniels 4th 716 yds 6 tds
Pitta 4th

Heath Miller may never play again...Gonzo should be done...Gronk can;t play a season

Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:22 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Gonzalez was second among TE's in receptions, had 930 yards and 8 touchdowns last season, more than enough production to put him in the top 7 TE's. Gronkowski, when healthy, is unquestionable at top 7 TE, Heath Miller was fifth in receptions, had 816 yards and 8 touchdowns. Antonio Gates was 15th in receptions and 19th in yards, not "top 7" numbers.

"Witten was a 3rd...led the NFL in yds last year" Yes, and? If you look at what I said, I said "outside the first three rounds" The third round is not outside the first three rounds, so I fail to see what your point is here.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:58 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland says the team envisions fourth-round LB Jelani Jenkins as a future starter.
The Fins are set at linebacker with Dannell Ellerbe bookended by Koa Misi and Philip Wheeler, but Jenkins could replace Misi outside in 2014. Misi is entering a contract year. Jenkins battled injuries at UF, but was superb in pass coverage as a weak-side 'backer. He will focus on special teams as a rookie.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:09 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

To contribute on Jelani Jenkins...

He was a five-star prospect coming out of high school and deservedly so but numerous injuries over multiple years really hindered the impact he was able to make with the Gators. As a redshirt sophomore, he dropped 6-7 interceptions by my recollection - seriously, hit him right in the hands and he could not reel them in. That did not happen during his redshirt junior year (this season) but he also was not on the field enough to get the same amount of opportunities.

He is quick and athletic and very good in coverage. He will help Miami deal with Gronk and Hernandez and other big-time TEs. Obviously the Dolphins are going to let Misi walk when his contract is up; Ireland hopes that Jenkins will be able to be a full-time starter replacement. And there is a legitimate chance of that happening.

For this year at least, he will be an absolute beast on special teams and LB on passing downs. Based on Miami's picks, had to take him where the they did, but I think he could have been had half a round lower, perhaps.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:18 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

onlygators wrote:

He was a five-star prospect coming out of high school and deservedly so but numerous injuries over multiple years really hindered the impact he was able to make with the Gators. As a redshirt sophomore, he dropped 6-7 interceptions by my recollection - seriously, hit him right in the hands and he could not reel them in. That did not happen during his redshirt junior year (this season) but he also was not on the field enough to get the same amount of opportunities.

He is quick and athletic and very good in coverage. He will help Miami deal with Gronk and Hernandez and other big-time TEs. Obviously the Dolphins are going to let Misi walk when his contract is up; Ireland hopes that Jenkins will be able to be a full-time starter replacement. And there is a legitimate chance of that happening.

For this year at least, he will be an absolute beast on special teams and LB on passing downs. Based on Miami's picks, had to take him where the they did, but I think he could have been had half a round lower, perhaps.

I read that his body fat is 18%...unacceptably high number for a small LB.

Would you say that's a result of the injuries, or that the injuries could have been a result of poor conditioning?

Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:32 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

18% body fat for a LB would be alarming to say the least

Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:33 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Phins Rock & cspooner13 - I've never heard anything about his body fat percentage. I'd say two things about that though... (1) When you can't run, it's tough to stay lean. (2) That will change in an NFL conditioning program if it is accurate.

The Gators have a fantastic strength & conditioning program. I would be hard-pressed to believe that was true while he was playing during the season.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:59 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

MdDolfan wrote:
Jenkins was a beast last year but struggled this year with injuries and Dion Sims is the new Fasano...good blocking TE with good hands!

I'm actually hearing Sims lost 20 lbs and is a lot quicker than his time shows. He is being compared to Antonio Gates....big body, great hands, jumps for the ball and has game speed enough to get open....he may not blow buy anybody but the guy sounds like he can be an upgrade over Fasano!

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:12 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

onlygators wrote:

He's from my neck of the woods (Olney, MD basically the D.C. area) the kid could of been an All American RB but chose to stick with LB. Don't know about that 18% body fat but this kid is a BEAST, freakishly great athlete that was recruited by BCS schools as a RB & LB!!!

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:15 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Intelligent, too, MdDolfan.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2