View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ] 
 How Soon Can We Sign Winston? 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post How Soon Can We Sign Winston?
I'm going to assume the Albert talks are dead. How soon can we get Winston in here? I'm pretty nervous about our Oline at this point.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:23 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: How Soon Can We Sign Winston?
Phin wrote:
I'm going to assume the Albert talks are dead. How soon can we get Winston in here? I'm pretty nervous about our Oline at this point.

Calm down Andre Smith got signed so the chips will start to fall

Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:29 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Thought the same thing this morning. How many offense lineman were taken in the 1st round, 15.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:05 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Thought the same thing this morning. How many offense lineman were taken in the 1st round, 15.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:05 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I know they just freed up $3,200,000 in cap space on the Bess trade. And Miami will pick up another $10,000,000 in cap space after 6/1/13. The O-line is the only position that has me anxious as of this morning. Ireland has revamped the linebackers, added speed at WR and a TE through free agency. And so far in the draft they have added a pass rusher, two CB's and a 3rd round OT/OG. But IMO there is no way they are going to start Dallas Thomas somewhere on the line this season. And they will be lucky to find 1 or 2 more draft choices that even make the final roster from the 4th round down.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:39 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

bobby0112 wrote:
I know they just freed up $3,200,000 in cap space on the Bess trade. And Miami will pick up another $10,000,000 in cap space after 6/1/13. The O-line is the only position that has me anxious as of this morning. Ireland has revamped the linebackers, added speed at WR and a TE through free agency. And so far in the draft they have added a pass rusher, two CB's and a 3rd round OT/OG. But IMO there is no way they are going to start Dallas Thomas somewhere on the line this season. And they will be lucky to find 1 or 2 more draft choices that even make the final roster from the 4th round down.

I think they led us to believe they didn't have confidence in Martin but actually did all along...we don't need names on the OL, just guys who do their job!

Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:39 am
Phinfever Radio Host/Blog Writer
Phinfever Radio Host/Blog Writer

bobby0112 wrote:
I know they just freed up $3,200,000 in cap space on the Bess trade.

More like $2,683,334.

His cap number was $3,433,334 and there is a $750K cap hit for the trade.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:40 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
The Miami Herald reports the Dolphins have "maintained a steady dialogue" with free agent RT Eric Winston.
"We should know in the near future if a deal is a real possibility," tweets the Herald's Adam Beasley. The draft came and went without a trade for Chiefs LT Branden Albert, and it appears the Dolphins are leaning toward starting Jonathan Martin on Ryan Tannehill's blindside. Winston would be a perfect fit on the right side in Miami's zone-blocking scheme, but Martin would be a huge area of concern. Winston is said to be seeking $3-4 million annually. Source: Adam Beasley on Twitter Apr 28 - 12:56 PM

What if mini camp comes the Dolphins find that they are good at RT...Winston you may want to get a team pretty soon here...

Seems like a good fit he should be begging to come here.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:23 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I just hope they don't do with our offensive line what they did with our receiver corps last year. They never really addressed it significantly after losing Marshall. Now we have a hole after losing Long, on a line that wasn't too hot to begin. We've done very little to address the deficit and we have a major hole at the tackle position. I know there is time yet, but I'm getting kind of worried to be honest.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:40 pm
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

We should sign him or Clabo now. Use Dallas Thomas at guard with Incognito.
Make Jerry a backup at guard and right tackle.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:48 pm
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host

swerve13 wrote:

If they sign any OL, it's going to be Winston. He a fit for the zone blocking scheme, while Clabo would have been a better fit for the power blocking scheme.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:52 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phin wrote:
I just hope they don't do with our offensive line what they did with our receiver corps last year. They never really addressed it significantly after losing Marshall. Now we have a hole after losing Long, on a line that wasn't too hot to begin. We've done very little to address the deficit and we have a major hole at the tackle position. I know there is time yet, but I'm getting kind of worried to be honest.

This has been my concern for the last month.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:11 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:

Lets not forget Miami signed G Lance Louis too in free agency.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:15 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

bobby0112 wrote:

Dion Sims (4th Round) will see a lot of time in 2 TE sets, he'll be an asset as a blocking TE. Jelani Jenkins (4th Round) should be able to push Misi or Kaddu for a roster spot Caleb Sturgis (5th Round) is almost certainly going to replace Dan Carpenter. Mike Gillislee (5th Round) is going to split time at RB with Daniel Thomas, replacing Lamar Miller. That's 80% of our picks from Round 4 on making the team.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:20 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
A Miami Dolphins trade for Kansas City Chiefs offensive tackle Branden Albert never materialized, so the organization might have moved on to another tackle listed on the 2012 Chiefs roster. A source told the Miami Herald's Adam Beasley that the Dolphins have had consistent conversations with Eric Winston, and action might be taken soon.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... i-dolphins

Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:30 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I wouldn't count out Dallas Thomas to start somewhere on the line just yet. The kid played very well in the SEC for the past three seasons. He was able to handle the left tackle and left guard responsibilities at a big time throwing school in Tennessee. Philbin seems pretty optmistic about the kid from the post draft press conference. I think they'll let him compete with Martin for the left tackle position. If he loses, we can kick him over and let him play right tackle. Incognito and the winner of Jerry/Louis will play the guard positions. Pouncey obviously is the man in the middle. While it would be nice to get a veteran like Winston for a year, it's not 100% necessary in my opinion.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:11 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I think its necessary. We don't know that we have 5 starters let alone any depth. It does no good to put all those receivers on the field if Fanny has no time to throw or your running backs have no holes to run through?

Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:29 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

*Tanny not Fanny. Spell check strikes again.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:30 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phin wrote:
I think its necessary. We don't know that we have 5 starters let alone any depth. It does no good to put all those receivers on the field if Fanny has no time to throw or your running backs have no holes to run through?

lol is that his new nickname?

Why would we need depth when we might have rookies who might be able to protect his fanny?

Edit: Did not see you other post before posting this one but still struck me as fanny ooops ment funny. lol

Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:48 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

We need to sign Winston. We need to have two solid tackles. We seem to be confident in Martin's improvements enough to let him take over at left tackle. We need to sign Winston to man the RT position, so then we'll have Incognito and Jerry (if he's in shape, he'll beat out Louis) starting, with Louis and the new guy for depth.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:03 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:

What do you think of this scenario?

LT - Jonathan Martin
LG - Dallas Thomas
C - Mike Pouncey
RG - Ritchie Incognito
RT - Eric Winston

So long as Winston doesn't want big money, then I'm ok with it. But if he wants too much, or a multi year deal, then I'd pass. While the idea of Gardner and Jerry competing for the right tackle job isn't exciting. It's better than getting locked into a bad contract with a player who possibly is declining.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:45 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I think it'll probably end up looking more like

LT- J. Martin
LG- R. Incognito
C- M. Pouncey
RG- J. Jerry
RT- E. Winston

With L. Louis and D. Thomas as some depth at the guards.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:53 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

cspooner13 wrote:
I think it'll probably end up looking more like

LT- J. Martin
LG- R. Incognito
C- M. Pouncey
RG- J. Jerry
RT- E. Winston

With L. Louis and D. Thomas as some depth at the guards.

I wouldn't count Thomas out just yet. The kid can play. According to Philbin and Ireland's press conferences they seem pretty high on this kid and are going to give him a shot to start out competing on the left side. That means one of two things. One, he's going to compete with Martin for the starting left tackle position. Or two, he's going to compete with Incognito for the starting left guard spot. Thomas is an athletic guy who can pull. I think when its all said and done he winds up starting at some point this season. Where, I have no idea.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:07 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I know they need to upgrade LT, but with better and more plentiful receiving options available, Tannehill shouldn't need to sit in the pocket as long, therefore the LT isn't going to need to hold off a defender for as long. I think Tannehill will be able to drop and fire the ball off pretty quickly. LT is a key position, but maybe not as crucial as it was pre-Philbin.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:39 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Phin wrote:

Not dead yet...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/29/jeff-ireland-says-branden-albert-trade-could-still-happen/

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:56 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

wkloiber13 wrote:
I wouldn't count Thomas out just yet. The kid can play. According to Philbin and Ireland's press conferences they seem pretty high on this kid and are going to give him a shot to start out competing on the left side. That means one of two things. One, he's going to compete with Martin for the starting left tackle position. Or two, he's going to compete with Incognito for the starting left guard spot. Thomas is an athletic guy who can pull. I think when its all said and done he winds up starting at some point this season. Where, I have no idea.

I definitely think that Thomas will push Incognito for the starting job (as I posted in my blog today), but I don't think he's there yet. He'll replace Richie eventually, but not yet. Right now, he's a depth player, and that's okay. We need depth along the line. If someone goes down, we could be hurting.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:45 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Nice breakdown on your blog, csponner13.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:29 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Thanks, I appreciate it! I try.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:34 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I hope we get someone!

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:15 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

K-dash, I'll be writing up a piece on all of our draft picks, if you're interested

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:31 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I will keep checking back, thanks.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]