View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 The Book on the Vontae Davis Trade is Now Closed 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post The Book on the Vontae Davis Trade is Now Closed
It was Vontae for Jamar Taylor straight up.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:24 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: The Book on the Vontae Davis Trade is Now Closed
....and to think, it only cost us the 2012 season. No playoff wins since 2000. The team has been stuck at under .500.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:53 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Sometimes you have to get worse before you get better. I think we're well on our way to becoming a consistent, winning team again.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:57 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
....and to think, it only cost us the 2012 season. No playoff wins since 2000. The team has been stuck at under .500.

Yep, he missed 6 games, had 3 interceptions (all in weeks 16-17) and 46 total tackles. That surely cost us the season. Sure, we would have been better with him (when he was on the field), but let's not get too carried away, ok? I'm glad to have Taylor.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:01 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

cspooner13 wrote:
Sometimes you have to get worse before you get better. I think we're well on our way to becoming a consistent, winning team again.

Yeah....but this team was 1-15 recently. They needed a QB, so they drafted Long....who is long gone. We have had multiple coach debacles, rebuilt the roster a couple times, been mediocre at best in the draft, traded good players who became stars for rivals....and there is more.

I want results. How is it that good teams like the Packers, Steelers, 49er's, Bears and others just keep reloading and getting right back into the thick of it? How is it that the Pats dominate a division for over a decade? How is it teams go from the bottom of the cellar to the playoffs in one season (Colts, Seahawks) when Miami's win/loss record repeats itself like a broken record???

The solution is simple. The Dolphins are poorly managed and coached. I hope the team is turning the corner, but I want to see that translate to something on the field.

Last edited by FrustratedFinFan on Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:05 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

k-dash wrote:
FrustratedFinFan wrote:

Yep, he missed 6 games, had 3 interceptions (all in weeks 16-17) and 46 total tackles. That surely cost us the season. Sure, we would have been better with him (when he was on the field), but let's not get too carried away, ok? I'm glad to have Taylor.

Yeah...the Colts made the playoffs and the Dolphins were bridesmaids again. You are what your record says you are. Our corners were a joke last year. You had to check the roster closely every game day to see who else was going to get a stab at playing corner for the Phins.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:07 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
cspooner13 wrote:

Yeah....but this team was 1-15 recently. They needed a QB, so they drafted Long....who is long gone. We have had multiple coach debacles, rebuilt the roster a couple times, been mediocre at best in the draft, traded good players who became stars for rivals....and there is more.

I want results. How is it that good teams like the Packers, Steelers, 49er's, Bears and others just keep reloading and getting right back into the thick of it? How is it that the Pats dominate a division for over a decade? How is it teams go from the bottom of the cellar to the playoffs in one season (Colts, Seahawks) when Miami's win/loss record repeats itself like a broken record???

The solution is simple. The team is poorly managed and coached. I hope the team is turning the corner, but I want to see that translate to something on the field.

The Bears? Really? You're putting the Bears in the same category as the Packers and Steelers? And the 49ers are just recently turning the corner after years of mediocrity as well. These things take time. Every great franchise goes through a period of time where they're down. How are the Cowboys these days? The 49ers were a bad team for a lot of years after Steve Young. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but the Pittsburgh Steelers had a tough 80's after dominating the mid to late 70's, yes?

Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:10 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

FrustratedFinFan wrote:

Is that when we beat Seattle in OT and then got our butt handed to us at Oakland?

Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:42 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

FrustratedFinFan wrote:

So your argument is that Vontae Davis is the difference between the Dolphins making and missing the playoffs?

Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:46 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Interesting. It could be a fair trade. A lot of the scouts really like Jamar Taylor. I didn't want the trade to begin with, but what is done is done.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:49 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
FrustratedFinFan wrote:

So your argument is that Vontae Davis is the difference between the Dolphins making and missing the playoffs?

That's what I was thinking. Couldn't be further from the truth. Honestly, he wasn't even a big factor in them making the playoffs. He was hurt all season long, which is why we didn't get an extra pick from the Colts.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:06 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

We Davis on the team and we still lost.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:02 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

The book on Vontae Davis is long closed and gone. Let's hope Jamar Taylor becomes a stud.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:25 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Philbin is the 4th head coach since 2006 not counting Todd Bowles finishing up 2011. I think Miami finally has their QB and has made monumental strides this season with free agency and the draft. Time will tell.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:36 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
k-dash wrote:
FrustratedFinFan wrote:

Yeah...the Colts made the playoffs and the Dolphins were bridesmaids again. You are what your record says you are. Our corners were a joke last year. You had to check the roster closely every game day to see who else was going to get a stab at playing corner for the Phins.

That's all true, but the statement that trading Davis cost us the season has no basis in reality. Sean Smith's stats were very similar to Davis', which is to say, nothing special. If Carpenter hits a few key field goals, we're 9-7. Did Davis' absence cause him to miss those field goals?

I understand being upset about the long run of mediocrity. I've been following the Dolphins since 1972, when I was 7 years old. I grew up during the Shula years. I'm sick of what we've had for the last decade... but hold onto hope, and don't lose perspective. Trading Davis did NOT cost the Dolphins the season. If he had gone to Indi and had a pro-bowl year, you might have a valid point. He didn't. He didn't even have a pick until week 16.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:48 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Man, I've been following the Dolphins since I was 3 or 4...right in time to watch Buffalo go to 4 straight Super Bowls, New England going to 6 of them, and us mired in a decade of mediocrity at best. Sometimes I wish I were older, just so I could remember the better days.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:07 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]