View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 We are very solid at WR ! 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Post We are very solid at WR !
I know many dolfan would have picked Swope or Patton but I really think our FO really like our WR depht chart and we will not add another WR before the season start.

We have :

Wallace : vertical outside speedy route runner .........a top WR
Hartline : Solid n° 2 and can play the slot
Gibson : could be a very good surprise and will be solid if not more
Matthews : our new moving chain WR, very good hand and bold WR
Binns : with one year in our system he will become our Tall WR target in Red Zone at 6.3 210lbs.

Opinions

Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:32 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: We are very solid at WR !
Dolphins signed undrafted FA slot WR Chad Bumphis too.

Dustin Keller is a TE, but should open up the passing game as much as any WR addition.

Go Dolphins!

Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:04 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish

If any of our top 3 go down, we're back to only having 2 guys. I think you need 5 legit pass catching weapons in any offense. We have 4.

Talent is not an issue, but depth is. I'm frustrated that they, again, passed up a good class of WR's and went for the immediate need at TE rather than go get a nice young pass catcher to develop.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:09 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

PR, do you know anything about Bumphis or Jasper Collins? I thought they graded out pretty well pre-draft, didn't they? Collins I think was the one that tweeted "I'm going to Miami with a bag full of chips on my shoulder." Lol, he was obviously expecting a call.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:42 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

To me, this shows that the coaching staff has a good amount of confidence in Mathews and/or Binns. Rishard showed some promise last year, so hopefully he'll take the next step up and be able to contribute.

Unfortunately, I think we've all been conditioned by previous coaching staffs to think that players never make improvements from year to year. If this group can actually develop talent, it's hard to say what we'll get from these two WR's and others.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:46 am

k-dash wrote:
PR, do you know anything about Bumphis or Jasper Collins? I thought they graded out pretty well pre-draft, didn't they? Collins I think was the one that tweeted "I'm going to Miami with a bag full of chips on my shoulder." Lol, he was obviously expecting a call.

I'm surprised Bumphis wasn't drafted. I actually like him. I think he has a legit shot to make the roster. Nice hands and he's pretty quick; not a small guy either. Has a nice frame and lower body.

I can't say I know a lot about Jasper Collins. I know Barry Jackson mentioned his name a few times before the draft as a guy that they liked in the later rounds, so we'll see. I'll have to do some work on him today though before I comment.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:15 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Looking over that list, I still consider Miami slow at the WR position.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:16 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:

It's just perplexing that over the course of 2 drafts in a row that were loaded deep at the WR position, we come away with simply Rishard Matthews.

You can never have enough playmakers on offense. They're not even sure of Brandon Gibson when you look at his contract numbers, he could easily be cut after the first year. So why not insure yourself with some young talent from the draft? Was the Will Davis pick absolutely necessary instead (moving 3 draft picks) for a guy who's developmental?

Aside from Wallace, there's definitely not the speed we were told this staff covets.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:25 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
It's just perplexing that over the course of 2 drafts in a row that were loaded deep at the WR position, we come away with simply Rishard Matthews.

You can never have enough playmakers on offense. They're not even sure of Brandon Gibson when you look at his contract numbers, he could easily be cut after the first year. So why not insure yourself with some young talent from the draft? Was the Will Davis pick absolutely necessary instead (moving 3 draft picks) for a guy who's developmental?

Aside from Wallace, there's definitely not the speed we were told this staff covets.

I get what you are saying. I like Matthews, but not at the expense of some of the other guys. Don't forget Miami also drafted B.J. Cunningham last year. Still another slow Wr. I still cannot believe they passed on Moore for Gates.

How does Miami value speed on D, but when it comes to the skill positions on offense they go with slow. Hartlne times well, but I don't see the separation for a WR with his suppose speed. I believe he plays slower than his 40 time.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:33 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dphins4me wrote:

Binns 6' 3" 210 lbs 4.53 40yd
Matthews 6' 0" 210 lbs 4.62 40
Hartline 6' 2" 199 lbs 4.58 40

Couldn't get times for Fuller or Tynes on NFL.com

Other than Wallace, we don't have any blazers, but they're not exactly pedestrian times either.

A.J. Green ran a 4.5 40. DeAndre Hopkins, 4.57.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:56 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

k-dash wrote:

Well....if the free agents were really all that great, one of 32 teams would have drafted them. Yes, sometimes you find a gem. We all thought Bess was that kind of story. But, hey, look at what the league thought of him when we tried to deal him.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:11 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:

Finally something that we agree on. It's beyond me how Matthews is still on this roster, but I keep hearing bluster that they like him and think he's developing.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:27 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
k-dash wrote:

Well....if the free agents were really all that great, one of 32 teams would have drafted them. Yes, sometimes you find a gem. We all thought Bess was that kind of story. But, hey, look at what the league thought of him when we tried to deal him.

Well if not a "gem" Bess was a success story for the Phins imo. I think Bess played well for the team and then he was traded for a pick. Not every effective player in the nfl is going to be a pro-bowl player.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:42 pm
Phinfever Radio Host/Blog Writer
Phinfever Radio Host/Blog Writer

We added speed at the tight end position.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:49 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Maybe we can get Gates and Ginn back so we can be fast like all those other teams...

And who are these teams that are faster?

Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:31 pm
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

why are we so quick to give up on Matthews already? I think he has talent.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:47 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Nobody's going to want to hear this after last year's WR debacle, but we may be adding a WR after rosters start to get trimmed. Only this time we will be adding a #4 or #5 receiver, not a #1.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]