View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 cap considerations 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post cap considerations
This is more of a question (for Rich?) than a statement, but IF players we drafted earn roster spots, we may see these players released during camp:

Dan Carpenter
Dimitri Patterson
RJ Stanford
Nolan Carroll
Jason Trusnik
Daniel Thomas
Michael Egnew

What kind of salary cap implication will these have? I know there are others who some of you might include, but I think we will keep Richard Marshall as long as he is healthy to play nickel, and I can't decide whose roster spot Dallas Thomas would take. Yeatman? Probably not much cap impact there anyway.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:14 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: cap considerations
I think Marshall is on the way out of Miami and that we'll keep either Patterson or Carroll (though not both). I think we'll also hang on to Egnew for another year. Mind you, I don't know a thing about the cap repercussions, just my thoughts on the players themselves

Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:42 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I don't think Patterson is going anywhere. He played pretty good for us down the stretch and I think our staff wants him back. Obviously they don't want to pay him his current contract, but I think he might be amenable to taking a pay cut. If he takes a pay cut, I think he stays.

Trusnick probably isn't going anywhere as well. They just re-signed him to a new three year deal. It think they like him as the backup SAM linebacker. In addition he's one of our special teams aces. That and he only costs us $750K this year. If someone is going to replace him, it would have to be Josh Kaddu. The staff is very high on him right now and I think after playing special teams all of last year that he might be ready for an increased role. But I suspect that role will be behind Ellerbe at middle linebacker.

Stanford and Carroll I think will be replaced by Davis and Jones as our depth cornerbacks this year. One guy who we signed as an undrafted free agent who I'll be interested to see play is Keelan Johnson. I think he's going to win the backup strong safety job.

Egnew will compete with Clay for the 3rd tightend spot. Because we invested such a high pick in him I think our staff is going to give him every chance to make the team.

Same goes for Thomas. I think he'll stick around as the 3rd runningback in case Miller or Gillislee get hurt. But his carries will be greatly reduced. He'll have to prove he can contribute on special teams in some sort of way as well. One guy that could spell the end for Thomas however is Cameron Marshall, the RB from Arizona State. He had a monster 2011. A bum hamstring hurt and a coaching change hurt his 2012 campaign and his drop off in production killed his stock big time. If Marshall is healthy, and fits into our system, he could easily replace Thomas.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:30 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Dan Carpenter - $3 million cap hit, $2.7 million cap savings
Dimitri Patterson - $4.6 million cap hit, $4.6 million cap savings
RJ Stanford - $630K cap hit, $630K cap savings
Nolan Carroll - $680K cap hit, $630K cap savings
Jason Trusnik - $930K cap hit, $600K cap savings
Daniel Thomas - $900K cap hit, $455 cap savings
Michael Egnew - $652K cap hit, $210K cap savings
Richard Marshall - $5.8 million cap hit, $3.4 million cap savings
Will Yeatman - $555K cap hit, $555K cap savings

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:04 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Thanks, Rich.

wkloiber, I don't know how we hang onto all those guys you listed and still keep the draftees. If we keep Jelani Jenkins, we need to cut a LB. Same for the TE position. I can't see us keeping both Marshall and Patterson at their current contracts, and somebody has to go since you can bet we will be keeping Taylor and Davis. I can foresee perhaps stashing Jones on the practice squad for a year. Now that I see how little the cap savings Daniel Thomas and Egnew represent, we probably won't get rid of them, but there are only 53 spots to go around...

And Ireland isn't done "tweaking."

I guess that's why we have training camp.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:52 am

k-dash wrote:
Thanks, Rich.

wkloiber, I don't know how we hang onto all those guys you listed and still keep the draftees. If we keep Jelani Jenkins, we need to cut a LB. Same for the TE position. I can't see us keeping both Marshall and Patterson at their current contracts, and somebody has to go since you can bet we will be keeping Taylor and Davis. I can foresee perhaps stashing Jones on the practice squad for a year. Now that I see how little the cap savings Daniel Thomas and Egnew represent, we probably won't get rid of them, but there are only 53 spots to go around...

And Ireland isn't done "tweaking."

I guess that's why we have training camp.

Agreed.

I just don't see Patterson and Marshall making the team. Maybe one of them, but not both.

Patterson may be willing to restructure because his other option is getting hitting the open market and getting a low $$ deal.

Marshall had a back injury, that's not a good place to be when the Dolphins have acquired 4 corners to add to the mix with Marshall, Patterson, Nolan and stanford amongst others.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:09 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Of that list I can definitely see Carpenter and Marshall being released.

Egnew is a possibility to be cut unless he has unearthed football intelligence and toughness in the last few months.

Lets not forget that teams will be releasing more guys in June and Miami will probably look at a few 1 year rentals or developmental projects.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:35 am

Rich wrote:
Dan Carpenter - $3 million cap hit, $2.7 million cap savings
Dimitri Patterson - $4.6 million cap hit, $4.6 million cap savings
RJ Stanford - $630K cap hit, $630K cap savings
Nolan Carroll - $680K cap hit, $630K cap savings
Jason Trusnik - $930K cap hit, $600K cap savings
Daniel Thomas - $900K cap hit, $455 cap savings
Michael Egnew - $652K cap hit, $210K cap savings
Richard Marshall - $5.8 million cap hit, $3.4 million cap savings
Will Yeatman - $555K cap hit, $555K cap savings

Consider Dan Carpenter a goner. That's $2.7 million in additional cap space. Figure either Patterson or Marshall are let go, let's go with Marshall. $3.4 million.

They are not going to go into the season with Patterson at $4.6 million, so either something gets done or he's done.

Let's figure there is another $3 million in cap savings there.

That's $9.1 million in cap relief along with the $10 million coming off the books for Dansby and Burnett.

The Dolphins should be in decent shape cap wise for 2012 to make a move or two.

They'll need some of these draft picks to pan out so the needs are minimized.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:39 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Crazy how much cap we have...I know some is figured to bank for next year...You can only bank so much and it's like a. Three year figure i think...
What is the amount to spend this year?

Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:10 pm

Kev1321 wrote:
What is the amount to spend this year?

Salary cap is $123 million but for us, we rolled over $5 million so its $128 million.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:28 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Marshall was brought in to cover the slot. That's all I heard when he got signed but the gave up on Vontea so they didn't have a chance but after the offseason I can see him finally going where the Fins planned for him but Patterson is done

Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:49 pm

ag_fin_90 wrote:
Marshall was brought in to cover the slot. That's all I heard when he got signed but the gave up on Vontea so they didn't have a chance but after the offseason I can see him finally going where the Fins planned for him but Patterson is done

How's Marshall's back doing?

As I recall, his season ended because of back surgery.

It is one thing to tear an ACL, but as bad an injury as that is, back injuries are tricky things that can sometimes linger and linger until a player can't play anymore.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:51 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rich wrote:
ag_fin_90 wrote:

How's Marshall's back doing?

As I recall, his season ended because of back surgery.

It is one thing to tear an ACL, but as bad an injury as that is, back injuries are tricky things that can sometimes linger and linger until a player can't play anymore.

Not sure yet, we have to wait on that but IF healthy I think he can actually work. Imagine a little slot receiver having to jam with a 6'2 corner........ that makes sense especially with Ammendola now trying to fill the Wes Welker position in the NE offense

Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:54 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Dimitri Patterson played the best ball from that list IMO. But he would also save us the most money. I can care less for the rest of them, although I would like to see Egnew make the team. I can definitely see them all getting cut, especially RJ Stanford, he was horrible.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:08 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
The Dolphins should be in decent shape cap wise for 2012 to make a move or two.

We should be in good cap shape for the past?

Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:40 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

If Marshall is healthy I think he makes the team. We have very little depth at safety, and he was at his best in Arizona at safety. We need that flexibility.

Patterson is gone unless he has an amazing camp. Carroll is likely gone as well.

The entire secondary is being reshaped. I don't see many Sparano guys making the team at CB.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:46 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Phins Rock wrote:
If Marshall is healthy I think he makes the team. We have very little depth at safety, and he was at his best in Arizona at safety. We need that flexibility.

Patterson is gone unless he has an amazing camp. Carroll is likely gone as well.

The entire secondary is being reshaped. I don't see many Sparano guys making the team at CB.

Patterson is not a Sparano guy and he did play well last year before he got hurt. I can see Carroll gone though. Way to may pass interference penalties.

I agree that Richard Marshall gives you flexibility being able to play both safety and CB, but Don Jones gives you that also.

I do wonder if the team will talk with Patterson about doing a more cap friendly deal.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]