View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Walter Football's thoughts on our draft 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Walter Football's thoughts on our draft
Quote:
Goals Entering the 2013 NFL Draft: Miami is out of range for an offensive tackle. Barring a trade, the Dolphins need to add the top player on their board and then attack the offensive line and cornerback positions in Rounds 2-4.

2013 NFL Draft Accomplishments: No one was surprised when the Dolphins moved up to No. 3, given that they had so many picks at their disposal. What shocked everyone was whom they drafted. Dion Jordan came out of left field, considering that he's not an ideal fit for most 4-3 defenses, including Miami's. It's unclear if the Dolphins plan on moving to a 3-4, but it makes sense because they have all the personnel for it. Having Jordan and Cameron Wake rush from the outside with Randy Starks causing havoc on the interior will give opposing offensive coordinators many sleepless nights.

Miami complemented its upgraded pass rush rather well with a couple of solid secondary acquisitions. Jamar Taylor was a steal at No. 54, considering that he could have easily gone at the end of the first round. Will Davis didn't provide as much value at the end of the third, but he should be a solid depth player.

I liked some of the Dolphins' other picks, but the issue with their draft class is that they didn't come away with an option at left tackle. Dallas Thomas is a guard, or at best, a right tackle. What is Miami going to do across from Jonathan Martin? Why couldn't a trade for Branden Albert come through?

http://walterfootball.com/offseason2013mia.php

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:41 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Post Re: Walter Football's thoughts on our draft
Don't really understand why he's not an "ideal fit" for a 4-3... sure he didn't play with his hand in the dirt in college, but big whoop.

He's quick and strong and I could easily see him beating tackles to the outside on a regular basis.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:07 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

IamPZ wrote:
Don't really understand why he's not an "ideal fit" for a 4-3... sure he didn't play with his hand in the dirt in college, but big whoop.

They are probably referring to it more from a run defense perspective.

But hey, Jason Taylor was undersized and developed into a very good run defender.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:09 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

But hey, Jason Taylor was undersized and developed into a very good run defender.

That's because that man had a karate black belt's hands and played with unbelieveable leverage. They should hire JT as a consultant to train Dion.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:30 am

Rock Sexton wrote:
Rich wrote:

That's because that man had a karate black belt's hands and played with unbelieveable leverage. They should hire JT as a consultant to train Dion.

The Dolphins coaching staff at the time used to make linemen, both on the offensive and defensive side, practice karate striking and blocking.

I remember going out to training camp one time and seeing Tim Bowens and Daryl Gardner doing blocks and strikes with a coach and wondering what the hell it was for...

Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:42 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I think we all just need to accept that Jonathan Martin is going to be Miami's left tackle this year. Its not a comforting thought given what we saw last season but I guess one can hope that he'll improve based on the training we've read about and the obvious muscle mass he has added.

The bigger question now is whether Miami signs Eric Winston or gives John Jerry a shot to secure the right tackle spot.

If Dallas Thomas and Lance Louis are healthy I think they will certainly challenge for the starting guard spots.

Seems Miami kept on the speed theme by drafting Jordan, Taylor, Davis and Jenkins. Hopefully this stops a lot of the YAC issues the defense had. Add Wheeler and Ellerbe to a group that can hopefully contain some of the speedier TEs and slot WRs.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:44 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
The Dolphins coaching staff at the time used to make linemen, both on the offensive and defensive side, practice karate striking and blocking.

I remember going out to training camp one time and seeing Tim Bowens and Daryl Gardner doing blocks and strikes with a coach and wondering what the hell it was for...

That's great stuff. Glad they were teaching it as it definitely showed with Taylor. Makes sense though as it's hard as hell for a lineman to lock you up if you're skilled at it. You can really knock someone off the line or get up in their chests with it, not to mention cut arms down if you're trying to get around the corner.

I used it sometimes in my annual Thanksgiving Day tackle football games and my friends would get pissed.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:29 pm

Actually, I've been taking MMA lately (no, not with Michael Egnew) and it is amazing how one can use jujitsu to break up holds.

Instead of karate, they should be doing that. A guy grabs you just inside your shoulders, double strike down, push him in the chest and get him off balance...

Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:48 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

The assessment here is pretty good. Not sure who the LT is....but again we're sitting waiting for a critical position to be filled and the draft is over. There's no way they can go into the season with the status quo. Either that or they better keep at least 1 QB who can run for his life.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:19 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Rich wrote:
Actually, I've been taking MMA lately (no, not with Michael Egnew) and it is amazing how one can use jujitsu to break up holds.

Instead of karate, they should be doing that. A guy grabs you just inside your shoulders, double strike down, push him in the chest and get him off balance...

Seeing how they clench standing.. I could see Akido being effective as well. Though I am not so sure the refs would like seeing a D-lineman tossed to the ground by their thumb.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:24 pm

hypocritex wrote:
Seeing how they clench standing.. I could see Akido being effective as well. Though I am not so sure the refs would like seeing a D-lineman tossed to the ground by their thumb.

Or judo...

The school I go to uses karate for striking (though I prefer kick boxing) and judo/jujitsu for in-close and the ground, but we also incorporate akido as far as balance and foot placement.

It's called shendo goju ryu.

I wonder if hip tosses are illegal in the NFL....

Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:38 pm

Reggie White had the best bag of tricks I've ever seen. "The hump" move was pretty awesome...just ask Max Starks

Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]