View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Jason Cole, Yahoo Sports: Dolphins only A draft in the AFC 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Jason Cole, Yahoo Sports: Dolphins only A draft in the AFC
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--2013- ... 57465.html

Quote:
Miami Dolphins
Picks: DE Dion Jordan, CB Jamar Taylor, OT Dallas Thomas, CB Will Davis, OLB Jelani Jenkins, TE Dion Sims, RB Mike Gillislee, K Caleb Sturgis, SS Don Jones.
Analysis: GM Jeff Ireland takes a lot of heat from Miami fans and some of it is deserved. But his past two drafts have been strong despite being very different. Last year, Ireland was in a much more desperate situation to get a quarterback, but stayed put at No. 8 and still got Ryan Tannehill. This year, Ireland wasn't as desperate, but was aggressive in getting Jordan, the consensus pick as the top pass rusher in the draft. The price to move up was cheap (only a second-rounder) and Ireland still came up with a couple of young cornerbacks to help his depleted secondary. Between this draft and free agency (WR Mike Wallace, CB Brent Grimes), the Dolphins have brought in a serious amount of talent, particularly on defense.
Grade: A

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:19 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Jason Cole, Yahoo Sports: Dolphins only A draft in the AFC
Quote:
STRENGTHS Has a massive frame, which makes him an inviting targets for quarterbacks to throw to. Soft hands and who catches the ball off of his frame. Uses his size to shield defenders from making a play on the ball. Tough to tackle with the ball in his hands, falls forward. Gains speed in the open field. Understands positioning and shows nimble feet as a run blocker. Good foot quickness as a pass blocker.

WEAKNESSES Has trouble adjusting to difficult throws. Stiff in the hips, and not overly flexible. Slow to get off the line of scrimmage, takes time to get out of his stance. Not a mauling blocker like his size would indicate. Hands are often outside of the frame of the defender. Lunges at his blocking assignments. Will have his head down when blocking.
NFL COMPARISON Scott Chandler

BOTTOM LINE Sims is an intriguing prospect mostly due to the open field speed that he possesses on a 6-foot-6, 285-pound frame. Sims is a good pass blocker, and has a soft pair of hands. However, he doesn't always use his size in the run game, and he struggles to bring in the difficult catch. He will likely be a mid-round selection.

from NFL.com

the reports on him look good. I was mislead about him by other sites.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:27 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Jason Cole has been hard on our past drafts, so, this is a positive sign.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:19 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Big Dave wrote:

Alex Marvez gave the Dolphins an A also, and he has been as hard on Miami as Jason Cole.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:08 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Promising grades for sure. Let's now hope these guys selected make a big impact and quickly, especially Jordan and Taylor.

Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:52 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

phinsfansc wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

Alex Marvez gave the Dolphins an A also, and he has been as hard on Miami as Jason Cole.

I was really shocked about Marvez, he seemed to me to be one of thee biggest Dolphin haters the past few years. He really loved the Dion Jordan selection as well as Jamar Taylor. I also believe those two could have a major impact on this upcoming season, hopefully in a positive way!

Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:09 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

swerve13 wrote:
Quote:
STRENGTHS Has a massive frame, which makes him an inviting targets for quarterbacks to throw to. Soft hands and who catches the ball off of his frame. Uses his size to shield defenders from making a play on the ball. Tough to tackle with the ball in his hands, falls forward. Gains speed in the open field. Understands positioning and shows nimble feet as a run blocker. Good foot quickness as a pass blocker.

WEAKNESSES Has trouble adjusting to difficult throws. Stiff in the hips, and not overly flexible. Slow to get off the line of scrimmage, takes time to get out of his stance. Not a mauling blocker like his size would indicate. Hands are often outside of the frame of the defender. Lunges at his blocking assignments. Will have his head down when blocking.
NFL COMPARISON Scott Chandler

BOTTOM LINE Sims is an intriguing prospect mostly due to the open field speed that he possesses on a 6-foot-6, 285-pound frame. Sims is a good pass blocker, and has a soft pair of hands. However, he doesn't always use his size in the run game, and he struggles to bring in the difficult catch. He will likely be a mid-round selection.

from NFL.com

the reports on him look good. I was mislead about him by other sites.

Tyson Chandler? Definitely not the comparison I would make.

I think he's a goal line TE. Blocker, redzone target....fills the immediate need, but not a #1 TE.

Armando said today Miami was prepared to take Jordan Reed in the 3rd, and called him to say they would take him. They traded down instead.

I think that says all you need to know about their thoughts on Egnew and Clay.

Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:42 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
Armando said today Miami was prepared to take Jordan Reed in the 3rd, and called him to say they would take him. They traded down instead.

I think that says all you need to know about their thoughts on Egnew and Clay.

In a way I wish they took Reed because they missed in the past by not taking guys like Jimmy Graham and Aaron Hernandez.

If Davis turns out to be nothing more than depth and Reed goes on to be successful in Washington there is going to be a lot of future groaning from Miami fans.

Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:10 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I think Dion Sims is going to be a nice addition to this team. The picks are not going to make all the fans happy, nor should the team be worried about that.

They need to be worried about putting together a team and players on that team that would fill a need.

Teams get beat for players all through the draft. That is why you put a board together.

Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]