View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Changing trends point to less being demanded of LT position 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Changing trends point to less being demanded of LT position
Football Outsiders wrote:
In pro football's recent and ongoing evolution, increasingly fewer offensive concepts are heavily dependent on a left tackle being able to win on an island against a quality defensive opponent.

A lot of passing attacks these days operate primarily out of spread sets with three- and five-step drop-back timing. The objective is getting the ball out quickly to skill players in space. This naturally quells a pass rush, as it is physically impossible for an edge rusher to reach a quarterback on three-step timing and very difficult for him to get there against five-step timing. Besides, when pass-rushers do get there, good quarterbacks have learned how to compensate with pocket mobility, progression-read poise and pre-snap diagnostic skills. Many also have the athleticism to extend plays on the perimeter.

What's more, much of today's game is predicated on disguise and deception. When the offense does take a deep shot (which requires a seven-step drop), it's usually out of a running formation and involves some sort of play-action. (The key to most deep-shot designs is baiting the safety into stepping forward.) These deceptive tactics often have a tight end blocking on the edge and/or a running back staying in to protect. Which means the left tackle is usually getting help.

The run game is changing, too. Yes, there will always be situations in football where an offense has to move the chains by ramming the ball through the A, B and C gaps. But more and more run games today are predicated on agility and deception. This is seen most starkly in the rise of toss sweeps and delay handoffs out of three- and four-receiver sets (including shotgun). And it's especially seen in the increasingly popular read-option (where the left tackle can essentially be something of a decoy, as the offense's objective is to force an unblocked edge defender into making an either/or decision on the ball). Gone are the days when left tackles have to constantly pile-drive opponents off the ball.

All of these trends point to less being demanded of left tackles. Where teams once needed a great player at the position, a lot of them now just need a player who doesn't stink.

The Rest of the Article at ESPN Insider

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Wed May 01, 2013 6:25 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Changing trends point to less being demanded of LT position
So all we need to do is hope Martin develops to the point where he "doesn't stink" ???

That's good news. He had a rough rookie year but Fans give up too quickly.
There's still hope

Wed May 01, 2013 6:33 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

That is great when I think about Long leaving, but not as great when I think about Wake/Jordan.

Wed May 01, 2013 6:38 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

but Fans give up too quickly.

If they stay going into the season with Martin, I definitely want to see him succeed. On the other hand, if Miami does end up getting Albert, we will know the confidence level just wasn't there for Martin at LT.

No matter what grades he had last year, he got mauled on a number of occasions and all I care about is "someone" manning left tackle to keep Tannehill protected. If Martin steps in and improves, great, if not I hope there is a plan B in place.

The what "ifs" make me nervous as if you go into the season tabbing him the starter and IF he gets starts getting manhandled and struggles, who steps in next?

Wed May 01, 2013 6:40 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

That's why the Pats OL is always "good".

Wed May 01, 2013 7:31 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'm hoping Martin added the necessary upper body strength this offseason. He came into camp in shape and 15lbs bigger. Hopefully that new weight translates to more power at the point of attack. Players weren't really beating him with speed or breaking down his technique. It was the bullrush that he struggled with. If Martin has gained the right amount of game strength, then I think he'll have no trouble handling either tackle position.

Wed May 01, 2013 2:34 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

degs wrote:
So all we need to do is hope Martin develops to the point where he "doesn't stink" ???

Martin put on 15 pounds, so, let's hope it's muscle. I think he was a little above "stink" last year, but not by a whole lot. A lot of the draft analysts said that he was NFL ready going into last year.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Wed May 01, 2013 3:13 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Big Dave wrote:
degs wrote:

Martin put on 15 pounds, so, let's hope it's muscle. I think he was a little above "stink" last year, but not by a whole lot. A lot of the draft analysts said that he was NFL ready going into last year.

There was concerns about Jonathan dealing with power coming out of Stanford, and that was his very biggest problem last year.

This is not a stupid kid. He a Stanford grad, so he knows better than anyone what he needs to improve. He needed to get stronger both in his base and in his upper body. I feel comfortable that the 15 lbs that were put on was muscle.

It seems that Miami is leaning towards possibly signing Eric Winston. If that does happen, Jonathan is the OLT. I think he will be ready.

Wed May 01, 2013 5:20 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
Big Dave wrote:
degs wrote:

There was concerns about Jonathan dealing with power coming out of Stanford, and that was his very biggest problem last year.

This is not a stupid kid. He a Stanford grad, so he knows better than anyone what he needs to improve. He needed to get stronger both in his base and in his upper body. I feel comfortable that the 15 lbs that were put on was muscle.

It seems that Miami is leaning towards possibly signing Eric Winston. If that does happen, Jonathan is the OLT. I think he will be ready.

I think you're right. Martin is a smart kid, and somebody who the staff is pretty high on. I think he's going to get every chance this season to prove he can handle the job. Winston meantime looks like someone who we want to sign as a stop gap at right tackle.

Wed May 01, 2013 7:09 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I disagree with this article as quarterbacks still lack awareness and a good portion of the league's QB's take too many coverage sacks.

Wed May 01, 2013 11:19 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Alex13 wrote:
I disagree with this article as quarterbacks still lack awareness and a good portion of the league's QB's take too many coverage sacks.

As long as DEs get sacks there will be a need for quality left tackles. The better your LT the better off your QB

Thu May 02, 2013 3:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]