View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Palm Beach Dolphins? It's a possibility... 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Palm Beach Dolphins? It's a possibility...
Quote:
Miami Dolphins CEO Mike Dee hinted Thursday the franchise might consider pursuing a new stadium in Palm Beach County after failing to get tax-dollar support for renovations to Sun Life Stadium.

At a brief meeting with reporters, Dee was asked directly if the team would consider moving to Palm Beach County, if a stadium was built for them there.

“We’re open minded to all long-term solutions,” Dee responded.

He later said: “You can’t close the door on anything. I wouldn’t say it’s a priority to evaluate that and march down that road at this time, by any means, but the simple fact is we have to address a long-term issue with the venue. All ideas – good, bad, indifferent – should be considered.”

Even after last week’s defeat in Tallahassee, the team intends to improve its stadium situation, either by making improvements to the current facility, or as Dee acknowledged Thursday, moving into a new venue.

Dolphins owner Stephen Ross, who owns a home in Palm Beach, pledged to keep the team in town, even if his bid for state and county funding for renovations failed. It is unclear if that pledge meant just Miami-Dade, or anywhere in the tri-county area.

“What we said the other day was that the future of this venue is certainly uncertain,” Dee said. “At this point, there’s no Plan B that includes another venue. But down the road, who knows?”

In the short term, however, the Dolphins appear stuck with Sun Life Stadium, where they drew their smallest home attendance in more than two decades in 2012.

Those empty seats – along with tens of millions of dollars in bonuses paid to recently signed free agents – has the franchise working at a loss. The Dolphins told Miami-Dade County Commissioners they expect to lose $41 million this year.

However, Dee said that – unlike the Marlins, who infamously gutted their payroll after just one season at their new ballpark – the team will not cut corners when it comes to the on-field product.

“The outcome of the stadium will have no impact on the way we address the needs of the football team,” Dee said. “Absolutely none.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/05/09/3 ... rylink=cpy

Thu May 09, 2013 12:41 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Re: Palm Beach Dolphins? It's a possibility...
Win.

Thu May 09, 2013 12:51 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
Win.

I just heard that the name would remain as "Miami Dolphins", that is definitely a plus. I'm obviously not expecting this to happen though, it's just a possibility that our FO is considering.

Thu May 09, 2013 12:53 pm

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Rich wrote:
Win.

I just heard that the name would remain as "Miami Dolphins", that is definitely a plus. I'm obviously not expecting this to happen though, it's just a possibility that our FO is considering.

I was jut saying win... that's what the franchise needs to get back to.

They are operating at a loss due to attendance, but they haven't fielded a serious winner in a long time...

Yeah, they went 11-5 in 2008 but that collapsed.

Dolphins fans are jaded, they are tired of losing and you're not going to see the attendance go up until you field a winner.

Certainly the Dolphins have made an effort to get their with their massive investments in free agency. But I hope they don't expect this to be a one and done type deal.

They need to rebuild the legacy by being playoff and eventually Superbowl contenders year in and year out.

Trying to get public funds to renovate a stadium for a franchise that loses reminds people in Miami-Dade what just happened with the Marlins. Look at the Panthers as well.

The only team that has shown a positive ROI when it comes to public funds is the Miami Heat.

Thu May 09, 2013 12:57 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Rich wrote:
Win.

Cmon afce. You wouldnt like the sound of the Delray Dolphins. Demolish kings point and put the stadium there.

Thu May 09, 2013 1:25 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

FINesse wrote:
Cmon afce. You wouldnt like the sound of the Delray Dolphins. Demolish kings point and put the stadium there.

LMAO you may be onto something...Delray Dolphins does have a real nice ring to it.

:grin:

Thu May 09, 2013 1:46 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I agree with Rich. Having a consistent contender is the key. We have been consistent in just being mediocre at best. The other key is a consistency in coaching. Hopefully we have found that in Philbin.

With all the player/coaching changes we have made over the past 10 plus years, the best we ever got was a bandaid here and there. Are we still gonna miss from time to time on players? Absolutely... Even the best teams and coaches do. But, I do believe that the system on both sides of the ball has to be believed in. All Ireland can do is try to put the right type players on the team that fit.

It's always going to be a chess match when it comes to money. Put a Winner on the field and things start to fix themselves.

Thu May 09, 2013 1:49 pm

Haven't they spent a ton of money on the stadium already since Ross has bought he team? And now they're considering building a new one? Lol, OK...

Thu May 09, 2013 2:30 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

As an outsider, if the name remained, I wouldn't hate the move.

Thu May 09, 2013 2:49 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Come on up, will save me a lot of time and money

Thu May 09, 2013 3:11 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Thought this was some interesting info!

Cleveland Browns (1999)
Stadium cost: $290 million
Percentage of public funding: 74.7%

Pittsburgh Steelers (2001)
Stadium cost: $357.5 million
Percentage of public funding:78.7%

Denver Broncos (2001)
Cost: $365 million
Percentage of public financing : 68.4%

Houston Texans (2002)
Cost: $424 million
Percentage of public financing: 73%

Philadelphia Eagles (2003)
Cost: $474 million
Percentage of public financing: 40%

Arizona Cardinals (2007)
Cost: $455 million
Percentage of public financing: 67.7%

Indianapolis Colts
Cost: $720 million
Percentage of public financing: 86%

Dallas Cowboys (2009)
Stadium cost: $1.2 billion
Percentage of public financing: 28%

Thu May 09, 2013 3:29 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Ross could sell Sun Life to UM.. Or just keeping leasing it out for other events.

I don't live down there.. But, if they remained the Miami Dolphins. I would CERTAINLY be happy with a move towards Boca/DelRay... My mom lives in Delray and has a guest house. Wooooooo!

Thu May 09, 2013 3:59 pm

hypocritex wrote:
Ross could sell Sun Life to UM.. Or just keeping leasing it out for other events.

I don't live down there.. But, if they remained the Miami Dolphins. I would CERTAINLY be happy with a move towards Boca/DelRay... My mom lives in Delray and has a guest house. Wooooooo!

UM couldn't afford 10 yards worth of grass from Sun Life right now...

Thu May 09, 2013 4:48 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I wouldn't blame Ross for moving the team if he's able to get funding for a new stadium elsewhere (still in the Miami metro area). To be honest, I wasn't a big fan of renovations in the first place. You fix the place up, spend $400M, and then less than ten years later you're building something else to keep up.
What Rich said makes a lot of sense. Win games, get fans into the seats, prove you can make money, and then ask for public funds to build a new stadium.

Thu May 09, 2013 5:43 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Actually moving to the Boca area wouldn't be a bad idea at all versus moving the team off to California, so IF this is what it takes to build a brand new state of the art stadium, I am personally all for it and getting to stay within the Miami area. Now I wonder how serious an option like this could be.

Thu May 09, 2013 7:02 pm

Dont think Boca would want a stadium. To upity there. Plus every inch of land there has already been zoned. Not sure about the Delray / Boynton area either. There is a ton of new building coming to Delray (the corner of Linton & Federal will look very different soon) & everything out west in Boynton is farmed our being bought up by Bethesda Medical. A few years ago High Ridge Road off of Gateway in Boynton was rumored to be getting a spring training baseball facility so maybe over there. Jupiter in the northern part of the county seems to have alot of empty land. If it is coming to Delray / Boynton area I will know sooner than later as both those cities are printing accounts of mine. Maybe up by the old Palm Beach Mall would be a good spot.
Honestly though I see them where they are now for quite awhile.

Thu May 09, 2013 7:52 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I would love it, but the NFL would never approve Palm Beach, not a big enough population.

Thu May 09, 2013 8:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]