Phinfever.com

Catch the madness!

All times are UTC-05:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:58 am 
Offline
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 11839
Location: Raleigh, NC
Quote:
“Dogfight” anticipated over offsets in Jordan deal
Posted by Mike Florio

Over the weekend, we explained that folks in league circles are keeping an eye on the looming negotiations between the Dolphins and defensive end Dion Jordan, anticipating a squabble over offsets.

Even though the Dolphins moved from No. 12 to No. 3 to select Jordan, it’s believed that the Dolphins will continue their trend of insisting on the placement of offset language in deals that provide guaranteed money to the player.

One source with direct knowledge of the situation says that a “dogfight” is coming on the issue between the Dolphins and Jordan.

Five years ago, I would have cringed a little over the use of the term “dogfight.” But that’s what the source said, which shows how time tends to take the stink out of a term that went from being a perfectly acceptable sports cliché to having a taint.

(And, yes, Beavis. I said taint.)

Last year, quarterback Ryan Tannehill missed part of training camp over the issue. It remains to be seen whether and to what extend Jordan digs in if/when the Dolphins insist on the use of offset language, which simply means that Jordan won’t be able to double dip if he’s cut during his four-year contract and signs elsewhere.

At some point, the player surely will blink, since the alternative is to sit out the entire season and re-enter the draft. And not play in 2013, and not get paid.


http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... rdan-deal/

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:12 am 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 5288
Location: Wellington, FL
Jordan was a player Ireland "had to get" so I would not expect the FO to put up a big fight when it comes to the language.

_________________
Caveat: These are the opinions of this user, and may differ from your opinion. Please use common sense before taking offense.
Reply may contain sarcasm


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:58 am 
Offline
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
If I have to hear about offset language one more time....


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:40 am 
Offline
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 8210
The rookie scale was a step in the right direction. The next step is to have the contract as incentive only. The 3rd step is pay in case the player gets hurt.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:00 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Makchell wrote:
The rookie scale was a step in the right direction. The next step is to have the contract as incentive only. The 3rd step is pay in case the player gets hurt.

No way that will ever happen. The NFL is already so much better from a contract standpoint than other sports. They've pushed it as far as they can push it, I think.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:24 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 1:13 pm
Posts: 17
Business is a part of the game


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:32 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 5117
I'm sure they'll just throw a little more money up front at him like they did with Tannehill and it will get settled. I fully expect Jordan to be at training camp, playing in the preseason, and ready to go week one.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:13 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 5441
Location: Columbia, SC
Phins Rock wrote:
Makchell wrote:
The rookie scale was a step in the right direction. The next step is to have the contract as incentive only. The 3rd step is pay in case the player gets hurt.

No way that will ever happen. The NFL is already so much better from a contract standpoint than other sports. They've pushed it as far as they can push it, I think.



I agree JP......No other team sports has what the NFL has in regards to contacts that are not guaranteed.

The players are not and SHOULD not give up anything else.

Whatever needs to be done, get it done and get Dion in camp.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:27 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:49 am
Posts: 4152
Location: The Bluegrass
phinsfansc wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
Makchell wrote:
The rookie scale was a step in the right direction. The next step is to have the contract as incentive only. The 3rd step is pay in case the player gets hurt.

No way that will ever happen. The NFL is already so much better from a contract standpoint than other sports. They've pushed it as far as they can push it, I think.



I agree JP......No other team sports has what the NFL has in regards to contacts that are not guaranteed.

The players are not and SHOULD not give up anything else.

Whatever needs to be done, get it done and get Dion in camp.


The idea that players have "given up" something in regards to contract negotiations is a red herring. The players, through their union, agreed to everything in the current system. It may not always benefit individual players, but then again what union agreement doesn't screw over individuals? This is the system they wanted and heartily agreed to. They didn't "give up" anything at all.

_________________
A good RB is nice, a good QB even better, but it's best to be able to stop someone first.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC-05:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Phin and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: