View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Philbin throws a pool party for the players 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Philbin throws a pool party for the players
Quote:
DAVIE, Fla. – Joe Philbin comes across at first glance as yard-marker-rigid, a tight-lipped disciplinarian type. But the Miami Dolphins second-year head coach has a touch of the unexpected in him, too, and he revealed it to his team this past week.

For instance, did you know he's a huge Seinfeld fan and can recite lines from every episode? His favorite 30 minutes from the popular television sitcom?

A episode called "The Opposite," when George Costanza, snake-bitten by life, decides to do the opposite of what his instincts tell him -- and the strategy helps him land an attractive girlfriend, a job offer from the New York Yankees and an apartment.

So, maybe it's no surprise, then, that Philbin went Costanza on his team this past week, with an impromptu getaway from the grind of a three-day minicamp: He ordered his players and coaches to a late-day pool party at nearby Nova Southeastern University's aquatic center.

"The players have always been on me about going to a water park and blah, blah, blah,'' Philbin told USA TODAY Sports after Thursday's practice. "We kept it a pretty good secret. I didn't think they were expecting it. Then, we all went over to the pool, and I happened to jump in the water along with them.''

"Coach let his hair down, the little hair he does have,'' defensive end Cameron Wake said. "We had some fun with him -- him just being able to take care of us and keeping the morale up, that makes everybody want to go out there and work harder for him.''

After going through a full year's cycle of football, Philbin knows his players better and vice versa, and that has enabled him to let his more natural personality emerge.

"I think we've all gotten more comfortable, ripping him, giving it back to him,'' quarterback Ryan Tannehill said. "He's got that real dry sense of humor. I try to rip him as much as I can.

"(Wednesday) he was the last one on the practice field. He wasn't late. But he was the last one up there. I got everyone to start ripping him as soon as he walked out.''

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... n/2424459/

Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:37 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Philbin throws a pool party for the players
The Vikings had a boat party once .....

Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:51 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

A pool party with 50+ guys????
Gee that sounds like fun

Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:53 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Sparano took them to the movies

:yawn:

Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:00 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Just play effing football.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:51 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Yes, how dare they have a life outside of football

Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:01 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host

cspooner13 wrote:
Yes, how dare they have a life outside of football

I know.....Geez Mak, CHILL........... :ann0y:

Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:46 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I dunno, I think it is awesome. It seems like there is a genuine feeling of respect that goes both ways between players and coach, which I think can only help. Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but I don't remember getting that vibe in recent years. In the article it even mentioned wanting to play harder for the guy. I think the team believes that Philbin has their best interest in mind so maybe they will "buy in" to his methods. Hopefully it can translate over to the field.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:15 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

In all fairness, both Sparano and interim coach "Beezey" Bowles had players respect..

I have read these stories from every team around the league. Some coaches have a no nonsense personality, specially when on the field. Some players never see another side to them.

I think its all good, missing one day is not going to make a difference. However developing that bond between player and coach can make a difference.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:22 pm
Phinfever Radio Host/Blog Writer

Makchell wrote:
Just play effing football.

I know... instead of playing at a pool party, these guys should have been playing the game they had scheduled this week.

That's it... I am done rooting for this team!

Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:44 pm

It's just dumb to me that something so stupid gets into the paper. "Morale" boosting....lol. making millions a year and you still need your morale boosted is dumb. Play the game. Some of you hang on the players like they really care about you. Again, play the game and shut up.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:21 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:
It's just dumb to me that something so stupid gets into the paper. "Morale" boosting....lol. making millions a year and you still need your morale boosted is dumb. Play the game. Some of you hang on the players like they really care about you. Again, play the game and shut up.

Okay.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:30 pm

Makchell wrote:

Yes, players are robots. There isn't a thing such as chemistry, believing in the guy next to you etc. Team building does not play a role when building a team.

Brilliant stuff.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:12 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Not to mention the fact that their career is one that a significant portion of them are broken down physically (and mentally) before the age of 50. A lot of them won't ever be able to have a normal life outside of football. Won't be able to play with grandchildren, if they even live to see them. You live with that knowledge and see if you don't need a morale boost every now and again.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:17 pm
Profile WWW

Sorry guys, I forgot. They play professional football and make millions of dollars. I can't argue with you Chris becasue I don't have the stats regarding how long football players live, nor do I know their mental and physical condition. I would bet that most of them live past 50 though and have enough money to enjoy life.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:20 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Most do, yes. But the numbers that do are significantly less than the average population. It's something that every single one of them has to (or should) worry about. It's not just about providing for themselves in the here and now, it's about making sure they can pay for the bills they're inevitably going to have after football. It's about making sure their family is taken care of long after they're gone.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:26 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

It's team building and good leadership. Take care of them, and they take care of the game. I use the same philosophy at work. I take care of my people, and they take care of the airplanes.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:39 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Ski_Money wrote:
It's team building and good leadership. Take care of them, and they take care of the game. I use the same philosophy at work. I take care of my people, and they take care of the airplanes.

George Lopez, is that you???

Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:43 pm
2012 NFL Pick 'Em Champ
2012 NFL Pick 'Em Champ

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Ski_Money wrote:

George Lopez, is that you???

:) I remember in 2010 when Kendall Langford lost a $50,000 earring at practice & a bunch of players stayed & got on their hands & knees to help him look for it. A lot of guys got gushy over that as well & posted that this will bring the guys closer together , build morale & comradeship & carry into the season. Well we won 7 games that year winning 1 home game. Hopefully this pool party will have better results.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:21 pm

I remember in 2010 when Kendall Langford lost a $50,000 earring at practice & a bunch of players stayed & got on their hands & knees to help him look for it. A lot of guys got gushy over that as well & posted that this will bring the guys closer together , build morale & comradeship & carry into the season. Well we won 7 games that year winning 1 home game. Hopefully this pool party will have better results.

lol..Mitch.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:32 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Well if you spray enough perfume on s**t... it may smell nice, but it's still s**t.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:21 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

cspooner13 wrote:
Not to mention the fact that their career is one that a significant portion of them are broken down physically (and mentally) before the age of 50. A lot of them won't ever be able to have a normal life outside of football. Won't be able to play with grandchildren, if they even live to see them. You live with that knowledge and see if you don't need a morale boost every now and again.

Although I am supportive of the morale booster, I am not sure about this statement. I suppose that this could be true, but part of me thinks that these people spend their career being in the best physical shape of their lives (OK, maybe not the big lineman). I might want to think that they put themselves in good position to have a decent life expectancy. Especially compared to the rising numbers of obese sedentary individuals in this country.

Yes, obviously they will have significant orthopedic issues, but I'm not sure how many will decrease ones life span given the state of medicine today

I dunno, just a different spin on things

Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:45 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Makchell wrote:

Yes, players are robots. There isn't a thing such as chemistry, believing in the guy next to you etc. Team building does not play a role when building a team.

Brilliant stuff.

To me it's not about team building, but in Philbin showing the team that if they do what he asks they will be rewarded. Not just with more playing time or on-the-field rewards, but with some other niceities as well.

I'm sure it was a welcome break. And if people slack off after this, he has a good threat to hang over their heads... that there won't be anything like it again until they prove they can perform.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:48 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

marc23 wrote:
cspooner13 wrote:

Although I am supportive of the morale booster, I am not sure about this statement. I suppose that this could be true, but part of me thinks that these people spend their career being in the best physical shape of their lives (OK, maybe not the big lineman). I might want to think that they put themselves in good position to have a decent life expectancy. Especially compared to the rising numbers of obese sedentary individuals in this country.

Yes, obviously they will have significant orthopedic issues, but I'm not sure how many will decrease ones life span given the state of medicine today

I dunno, just a different spin on things

I have not done a study, but I have seen too many stories about former players committing suicide, having debilitating physical issues and dying very young to believe that the punishment of an NFL career doesn't take away something from most players lifespans.

However, they choose the life because of the vast rewards. I do think the NFL and players union should take care of their people, but their life is far more lucrative and less dangerous than that of most soldiers.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:52 pm
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

Jeez a simple little story about the team having a pool party turns into a back and forth about morale boosting here on Phinfever.

On the next edition, did Tannehills wife have any work done? Or is she ALL natural?

Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:27 am

IamPZ wrote:
Jeez a simple little story about the team having a pool party turns into a back and forth about morale boosting here on Phinfever.

On the next edition, did Tannehills wife have any work done? Or is she ALL natural?

The article is not even about the team having a pool party... it is about Joe Philbin and how he and his players relate to each other.

The pool party is simply an example.

Talk about people missing the point...

Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:42 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

IamPZ wrote:

This is why I love it here PZ... lol

mmmm lauren tannehill :awe: thats all natural usda grade A :yay:

Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:45 am
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

Rich wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

The article is not even about the team having a pool party... it is about Joe Philbin and how he and his players relate to each other.

The pool party is simply an example.

Talk about people missing the point...

I know the point... its just not worthy of a huge discussion to me I guess. It's morale boosting... yay!

Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:32 am
2012 NFL Pick 'Em Champ
2012 NFL Pick 'Em Champ

Right now its natural. In the future it will be worked on.

Gotta love this thread.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:02 am

IamPZ wrote:
I know the point... its just not worthy of a huge discussion to me I guess. It's morale boosting... yay!

It's not... but there are people replying to the article saying "Just play football"...

Except there is no game scheduled...

Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:12 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

It's not... but there are people replying to the article saying "Just play football"...

Except there is no game scheduled...

There is nothing scheduled and our constant need for information forces reporters to write articles like this since there isn't much else going on.

I could do without this, but I can see why it was published.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:11 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Why are we discussing this?

Well it is the "forum" section.....
Quote:
An Internet forum, or message board, is an online discussion site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages.

Just pointing out the obvious... Personal opinion may vary whether or not a topic is worth discussing.
I would suggest not engaging in discussions if you feel they are unworthy of it, that will limit the countless responses to said topics...

Personally I enjoy these reports, most the stuff we read now is just filler until camp starts and the pads go on.
I dont understand why we do not see more cheerleader related posts (with pics of course) I mean after all they are Dolphins too....

Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:25 pm
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

IamPZ wrote:

proof that everybody just likes to argue.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:04 pm

10acjed wrote:
I would suggest not engaging in discussions if you feel they are unworthy of it, that will limit the countless responses to said topics...

I find this topic uninteresting and of little value and I don't understand why there are so many posts about it, so I am going to add to the post count just to let you know that I don't find it interesting and don't understand why there are so many posts about it.

Life is full of irony.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:28 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Irony is that the stuff you get from eating things you might grill at a pool party?

Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:36 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

that's nuts.

i am also a huge seinfeld fan and my favorite episode is also "the opposite" o.O

it's meant to be Joe!

Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:34 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Now if Philbin would have invited the Miami Dolphin Cheerleaders to this pool party, now that would have been a morale booster!

Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:48 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

IamPZ wrote:

I think we will all agree that we don't care if it is enhanced or not. She looks good;)

:yay:

I hope it wasn't similar to the Love Boat scandal ... otherwise it would be called the Philben Pool Party scandal.

:fart:

I am seeing more and more that coaches are realizing the importance of blowing off some steam doing something unfootball related. The Packers got together and did some skeet shooting a few weeks back, and the Lions coach poked fun at it.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:13 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

IamPZ wrote:

Big Dave can host a Phinfever pool party to clear the air. Bring your own towel.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:47 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

rodneyfaile wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

Big Dave can host a Phinfever pool party to clear the air. Bring your own towel.

And bathing suits are a must .... no Speedos or we'll drop you off at a male dominated area on South Beach;)

:fart:

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:32 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next