View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Ryan Tannehill excels outside the pocket 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Ryan Tannehill excels outside the pocket
Yep, another Tannehill thread. I can't wait for preseason.

Quote:
Ryan Tannehill excels outside the pocket

It took the Miami Dolphins about half the season to figure it out, but young quarterback Ryan Tannehill is very good on the move. The Dolphins used Tannehill's mobility more often late in the season and experienced some success.

Statistically, Tannehill was better then every AFC East quarterback last season when rolling out the pocket, according to ESPN Stats and Information. While on the run in 2012, Tannehill led the division in completion percentage (58), passer rating (83) and touchdowns (three). Yes, this is the one category where Tannehill even dominates over future Hall of Fame quarterback Tom Brady of the New England Patriots.

As you can see, not every quarterback can throw with accuracy and strength on the move. But Tannehill does have that ability. He also played wide receiver for two years in college.

Tannehill has an opportunity to make a solid jump in Year 2 now that he has better weapons around him, such as free-agent receiver Mike Wallace and tight end in Dustin Keller. The Dolphins' coaching staff would be wise to utilize all of Tannehill's strengths in 2013.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/ ... the-pocket

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:39 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Ryan Tannehill excels outside the pocket
I hope he is allowed to scramble and roll out more, although those are the plays he can get hurt on. I am eager to see them play with all the new offensive weapons too Dave.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:44 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Post Re: Ryan Tannehill excels outside the pocket
bobby0112 wrote:
I hope he is allowed to scramble and roll out more, although those are the plays he can get hurt on. I am eager to see them play with all the new offensive weapons too Dave.

Dude is great on the move, Sherman knows it. The other stat I found interesting was how unsuccessful he was in the shotgun, that was another strong point for him as a QB at A&M.

Still all hinders on the play of the front 5... Gotta protect him and allow the plays to develop. The designed roll out is not as dangerous as a scramble, so long as the line is able to hold the block.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]