View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Will money decide Dolphins' kickers? 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Will money decide Dolphins' kickers?
Yes. Carp's a good kicker, but missing those crucial kicks early in the season are still fresh in our minds. I'm sure he knows that what he is doing right now is working out for another team.

ESPN's James Walker wrote:
Will money decide Dolphins' kickers?

Let's be honest: Most NFL fans don't care about kickers. But once that position loses a couple of games for your favorite team, it becomes a different story.

That is the situation facing the Miami Dolphins heading into the 2013 season. Veteran kicker Dan Carpenter has been solid in Miami for four seasons until running into trouble last year. He missed several important field goals last season that put him on the hot seat under a new coaching staff led by Joe Philbin.

Not surprisingly, the Dolphins invested a relatively high fifth-round draft choice on former University of Florida kicker Caleb Sturgis. The rookie comes to Miami with high credentials, a very strong leg and is expected to push hard for Miami's kicking job this summer in training camp.

"He looks good," Philbin said of Sturgis during last month's minicamp. "I like the way he handles his business. He seems to be very professional, even though he has only been in the profession since April 15th for about two months. I like the way he moves about the building; he is quiet. He seems to be a hard worker, and he seems to have a pretty strong leg."

But here is the elephant in the room the Dolphins won't discuss publicly: Money could play a huge factor in their kicking decision.

Carpenter is due to make $2.68 million in the final year of his contract. That's a lot of money for a kicker who missed some big attempts last season. Sturgis, on the other hand, is making just $405,000 in the first year of his rookie contract. The Dolphins can save themselves more than $2 million this season by going younger at kicker.

The writing appears to be on the wall for Carpenter when you look at it from a financial standpoint. If the competition is relatively close, there is no reason Miami would not go with the much cheaper option in Sturgis, who is signed through the 2016 season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/ ... ns-kickers

Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:43 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Will money decide Dolphins' kickers?
I can't see them using a 5th rd pick on a kicker and not keeping him. I think the job is his to lose. Carpenter is around just in case Sturgis fails, but I don't think he will.
I drafted Stugis in a fantasy league already.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:10 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

If it close, Sturgis will be the guy. As has been said, you don't draft a placekicker that high and he not make the team.

That said, I think Carpenter is a very good kicker. Yes, the kick to win the Jets game was a kick you have to make, but most of his misses were of 50 yards or more.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:38 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Sturgis is going to be our kicker this year. Carpenter is only being kept around if Sturgis gets hurt. If Sturgis stinks up the joint, they will cut him in mid season and find a temporary stopgap. But you can bet the farm that Carpenter is as good as gone come final cutdown day.

Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:11 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Yes. The money saved by cutting Carpenter can be used elsewhere.

Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:48 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

phinsfansc wrote:
If it close, Sturgis will be the guy. As has been said, you don't draft a placekicker that high and he not make the team.

When the Dolphins drafted Sturgis, I'm sure that Carpenter started to pack his bags. Unless Sturgis flops, the Dolphins will look to use that money somewhere else.

phinsfansc wrote:
That said, I think Carpenter is a very good kicker. Yes, the kick to win the Jets game was a kick you have to make, but most of his misses were of 50 yards or more.

I agree. I will miss the guy. He's been the best kicker we've had around here since Pete Stoyanovich.

Here's some fantasy stats on Miami Dolphin kickers.

Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:32 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

James Walker's next column:

"Earth is Round"

Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:49 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

In a word, yes....

If Sturgis is half what some are saying about him...yes...I'd even go out on a limb and say the job is his to lose...

Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:08 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

phinsfansc wrote:
Not sure I'd call it a have to make, but its one I'd like the kicker to make, but I will not fault any kicker for not making one from 50+ yds. The thing most people ignore is the failure of the Miami O to get closer. It was not just DC failure, but also the failure of the O to move the ball.

Unless I'm forgetting a kick the only kick I recall directly costing Miami a game is the Jets. I know he missed a 51 yarder in the Ariz. game, but that came on the first drive of the 3rd Qtr. Why no one blames the Phins D for giving up 21 points in the 2nd half is confusing.

The rookie will have to be horrible for him to not win the job considering the salary difference between the two. I have also drafted him.

Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:58 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:
Unless I'm forgetting a kick the only kick I recall directly costing Miami a game is the Jets. I know he missed a 51 yarder in the Ariz. game, but that came on the first drive of the 3rd Qtr. Why no one blames the Phins D for giving up 21 points in the 2nd half is confusing.

There is a lot of pressure on kickers and fans are unforgiving when the media rehashes their mistakes week after week.

Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:05 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Carpenter didn't cost us the Arizona game, questionable play calling at the end did.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:14 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

You know, I thought money and burning a draft pick on a kicker will be the deciding factor if their performances were close to even, but Stugis is beating Carpenter on the near 50 kicks, and this has been something that Carp has started struggling with the last two years and even in camp this year. This is from yesterday's training camp news:

'Mando wrote:
The kicking competition continued today with rookie Caleb Sturgis connecting on all his kicks, from 42, 47 and 52 yards out.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:16 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

The only way this job does not end with Sturgis getting the job is if he is horrid. DC will find employment elsewhere.

Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:40 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
The Oakland Raiders gave kicker Sebastian Janikowski a new five-year deal Friday worth $19 million, with $8 million guaranteed in the next two years, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

He will make $5.3 million this season, the sources said.

:)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/s ... ources-say

Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:03 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Kev1321 wrote:
Quote:
The Oakland Raiders gave kicker Sebastian Janikowski a new five-year deal Friday worth $19 million, with $8 million guaranteed in the next two years, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

A justifiable salary for a first round pick who has performed well. :ann0y:

Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:24 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

TommyNoleFin wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:
Quote:

A justifiable salary for a first round pick who has performed well. :ann0y:

Not for a player no one else would have payed that much(which is basically double the next highest payed kicker and the average salary is around 800k) or a team that is going nowhere...That money could have been spent in better places imo...That's why they are the Raiders

Dan Carpenter is the second highest payed kicker in the league! 24th in fg% last year
Jankowski 5th which is good but 5 million good? for a last place team.

http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/kicker/

Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:40 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Janikowski has the strongest leg in the league... is usually among the league leaders in touchbacks -- which is an underrated stat. Also gives the Raiders a threat virtually anytime they are inside the 45 yard line.

If you're Oakland and you have salary cap space to spare this season, why not front load the contract and make it more team friendly at the end. It's the opposite of what the Fins did with Wallace for this year/next.

Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]