View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Day 2 practice notes 
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Post Day 2 practice notes
Quote:

Brent Grimes and Richard Marshall are the clear cut starters unless one suffers and injury setback. Everyone else is battling for No. 3.

Chandler Burden is working as the third team center. He was on the practice squad last year.

Jimmy Wilson and Kelcie McCray are teamed together as the second team safeties. If I had to guess Wilson is the FS. But its just a guess.

Jared Odrick and Randy Starks are teamed together on the starting defensive line today.

Matt Moore just threw a long touchdown pass to Rishard Matthews. Moore still throws a pretty long ball.

Kheeston Randall deflected a Matt Moore pass at the line of scrimmage.

Dallas Thomas is the second team left tackle. He had the same shoulder surgery Dion Jordan had, same time table, and is practicing.

The Dolphins are moving Brandon Gibson and Mike Wallace around today.

Mike Pouncey is in great shape. Probably the best shape he's every been in. He runs like a LBer getting to the second level.

Brian Thomas is working as the second team right guard and not Lance Louis, who is being brought along slowly.

The Dolphins receivers are doing a lot of motion, which makes it virtually impossible to tell who is the slot with Davone Bess gone.

Kanye West's "Can't Tell Me Nothing" is song No. 2 of practice.

The first song of Dolphins practice day 2 is Future's "Karate Chop."

Just noticed Will Yeatman is being used as a left guard during the early portion of practice. That's new and old. He's a former TE turned OT

Today is a Calib Sturgis kicking day. The Dolphins kickers are rotating days.

https://twitter.com/OmarKelly

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:55 am
Profile YIM
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Day 2 practice notes
http://www.miamidolphins.com/media/vide ... 24a391a10b

Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:44 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
By James Walker | ESPN.com

It was a good day to watch the battles in the trenches between Dolphins starting left tackle Jonathan Martin and rising defensive end Olivier Vernon. Both are part of Miami’s 2012 draft class and looking to fill big roles on the team this season. Martin got the best of Vernon first with a pancake block during a nice run by tailback Lamar Miller. A few minutes later, Vernon used a swift inside move to run past Martin in pass-rushing drills. This kind of exchange will make both young players better. ...

The stars of Monday’s practice were quarterback Matt Moore and tight end Dustin Keller ...

Keller also had a nice day getting open and caught several passes over the middle. Keller and starting quarterback Ryan Tannehill are quickly developing a rapport on the field. ...

Dolphins rookie kicker Caleb Sturgis struggled with his field goal attempts Monday. ...

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/ ... ions-day-2

Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:23 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Armando Salguero
E-mail | Bio

I think I've figured it out. It took me a couple of practices and talking to a couple of people, but it is clear to me why the Dolphins applied the stiff-arm to fullback Vonta Leach late last week.

It's just that the Dolphins are going to use a one-back look with four pass-catchers (three receivers and a tight end) or an I-formation look with the tight end as the lead blocker look going forward. And none of that leaves a lot of room for a fullback on the roster.

Now, I know at least a couple of you scoffed when you read Michael Egnew's name among the tight ends the Dolphins have invested in. Obviously, he was a disappointment last year. But today he had a relatively good day.

He caught a handful of passes (four actually) and that included a grab from Matt Moore between two defenders in tight coverage on a seam route that stretched 17 yards. It almost brought a tear to my eyes to witness. Almost.

The Dolphins have an interesting situation working at defensive tackle. Jared Odrick has been impressive at the position which he's been playing exclusively so far in camp -- no defensive end work -- and so it could be Soliai and Starks on early downs and then Starks and Odrick on passing downs.

Although Lamar Miller is the presumed starting running back, I was told today to assume nothing about that. Yes, Miller is getting the first-team snaps. But Daniel Thomas is also getting some of those. And as a club source told me, the team believes Thomas is ready for a big season if he can stay healthy.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... books.html

Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:29 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Michael Egnew and Daniel Thomas are making plays?? WOW!!!! Start fitting them for Pro Bowl jerseys!!!!

:hithead:

Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:52 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Andy Kent Dolphins.com @Andy_Kent

Performances on the practice field don’t always translate to games, so to put too much stock into how a particular player looks early in training camp is not recommended. But in the case of Miami Dolphins veteran cornerback Brent Grimes, it’s definitely warranted to take notice.

EGNEW SHOWING OFF A NEW SIDE

After going through perhaps one of the tougher rookie seasons in recent memory, tight end Michael Egnew recommitted himself during the offseason both in the weight room and incorporating other facets into his training regimen. ...

The first day of training camp Egnew spent on the far field working with the younger players, but today he stepped up to the near field and got some work with the top two quarterbacks – Ryan Tannehill and Matt Moore. He definitely stood out with a tough catch in traffic near the end of the session and a few other nice receptions down the seam and on crossing routes, but he credited the quarterbacks for putting the throws right on the mark. ...

For the second straight day, Philbin parked himself on the far field where the bulk of the rookies and first-year players were practicing. “I know some of the guys on the other field a little better,” he explained. “These other guys, not every single one, but a lot of them I don’t have quite that feel for. So I want to have a sense of what their tempo is, what their attitude is and what their demeanor is when they’re practicing.” … One of those youngsters who stood out to Philbin this morning was rookie tight end Dion Sims, a fourth-round pick out of Michigan State, as he singled him out as someone who had a good day with three or four nice receptions. ...

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/artic ... 0ff06ef443

Last edited by AQNOR on Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:58 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Quote:
“I did a lot of MMA and I focused on a lot of ground work for football in terms of blocking and run blocking,” said Egnew, who was a third-round draft pick last year out of Missouri. “Basically, that’s what I did. It was five days a week for me. I learned that you’ve always got to prepare harder and prepare for more than you think it’s going to be because it always is.”

A lot of MMA is clinching, a lot of Judo is used, which is all about staying balanced, getting leverage and figuring out how to get your opponent off balance. The best part is you don't have to be stronger than the other guy to win, you just have to have better technique.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:27 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Sorry Rich that ship has already sailed. He is just not a football player didnt you get the memo?

Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]