View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:26 am



Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
 Dolphins' Ryan Tannehill looking better, but it's not enough 
Author Message
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 3269
Post Dolphins' Ryan Tannehill looking better, but it's not enough
Quote:
By Omar Kelly, Commentary

6:48 p.m. EDT, July 30, 2013

...

Few Dolphins players have been around long enough to remember Chad Pennington's first practice with the team back in training camp of 2008, but those who were won't forget it. Pennington gave the defense that feeling.

Only hours after being released by the Jets and signed by the Dolphins, Pennington got behind the wheel of Miami's seemingly inept offense and surgically dissected the first-team defense in practice. Not for a drill or a series. The entire day. ...

He did that a lot in the '08 season, when Pennington led the Dolphins to an 11-5 record, the AFC East division crown, and the team's last playoff berth. ...

It was unforgettable, a moment I've book marked in my mental Rolodex.

If you were there you'd probably feel the same way, which explains why Ryan Tannehill's three-touchdown performance in Monday night's scrimmage was nice, promising, enticing — but doesn't serve as proof he's made the necessary progress the Dolphins need.

Although Tannehill is clearly practicing better than he did all last season, the biggest concern Dolphins fans should have is whether the improvements will be enough to make Miami a winning franchise.

Three touchdowns during a red-zone drill against the second-string defense doesn't tell us enough about whether Tannehill has improved on third-down throws, red-zone execution and fourth-down efficiency. Those are all critical moments when quarterbacks win and lose games. They are areas that separate the average quarterback from the good, and good from the elites.

They also happen to be areas in which Tannehill struggled last season. ...

When the day comes that I witness a Tannehill practice and the defense looks helpless, it will be a good indicator he's getting there — getting to Pennington's level. ...



http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... ?track=rss


Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:01 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5431
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Dolphins' Ryan Tannehill looking better, but it's not enough
Perspective - it took Pennington a few years to be effective and he also sucked for several seasons. He was okay and on the verge of being relieved by Henne when the Wildcat was introduced. He was the perfect guy to manage a game and work with the Wildcat versus a somewhat soft, Tom Brady-less schedule. He got exposed big time against better defenses and the following year was not making Miami a winning franchise.

I get it, Pennington was smart, efficient and limited by injury. But he wasn't the answer and if he is the barometer for Tannehill then we may as well be looking for a new QB.

I saw Kelly say that Pennington would have this team at 11 wins this year. I call complete BS because he isn't going to outgun other QBs. He doesn't have the Wildcat to pull off big plays and help him position the team for TDs. 2008 was an anomaly for so many reasons.


Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:37 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20605
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Dolphins' Ryan Tannehill looking better, but it's not enough
Pennington sucked until the Wildcat.

Omar + perspective = impossible

_________________
Image


Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:08 am
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 3269
Post Re: Dolphins' Ryan Tannehill looking better, but it's not enough
Quote:
Omar Kelly ✔ @OmarKelly
"@pauldavidjr: No fan is saying RT is perfect. But we're also not expecting him to become elite overnight» Wilson, RGIII, Luck & Kaep did.

I really think Dolphins fans have seen so much mediocre QB play the past decade they forgot what upper echelon QB play looks like.

Raise the bar!

https://twitter.com/OmarKelly


Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:03 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5431
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Dolphins' Ryan Tannehill looking better, but it's not enough
Yes, take a few exceptions and make it the rule. Was he saying the same things about Brees, E. Manning, Rivers, Rodgers, Stafford, Hasslebeck, etc. etc.?

Unfollowing him on Twitter is simply a relieving feeling. I respect that he works hard and tries to pump out information, but his arrogance and constant glass half empty approach sucks.

He really does lack perspective.


Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:13 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 3269
Post Re: Dolphins' Ryan Tannehill looking better, but it's not enough
Quote:
Omar Kelly ✔ @OmarKelly

"@Uncle_Chuck13: agree with you but there was a time people said Rodgers couldn't kill either"» you're right. THEN it clicked on exh season.
Expand

2h

✔ @OmarKelly

I vividly remember that exhibition season. I watched 3 Green Bay preseason games and thought..."Man is this Rodgers dude good. he has IT."
Expand

2h

Omar Kelly ✔ @OmarKelly

If your starting quarterback can't put the team on his back and lead them to victory....then you don't have the right quarterback

Omar Kelly ✔ @OmarKelly

"@TheEarl007: so if T-hill lacks IT, can he acquire IT? Is IT something you're born with or a level you can obtain?" » Brees got IT.


https://twitter.com/OmarKelly


Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:37 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5431
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Dolphins' Ryan Tannehill looking better, but it's not enough
So he's allowed to sense Tannehill lacks IT based on limited evidence. But if we use limited evidence to suggest he needs more time we're just full of excuses.

Then he contradicts his previous exception to the rule comment by acknowledging that two of the best QBs took time to develop (and they came in with more college game experience and less early NFL success than Tannehill.)

He has also talked about IT being something your born with (swagger, confidence, drive, etc.), hence why Henne and Beck never succeeded. You either have IT or you don't. But now it is something that can be learned?

I agree that there is limited if any evidence that Tannehill is the future. But sensing he lacks IT screams of creating controversey for the sake of dramatic discussion and getting your name out there.


Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:07 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20605
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Dolphins' Ryan Tannehill looking better, but it's not enough
How did Eli Manning suck for all those seasons before a lucky catch by David Tyree?

And what about Joe Flacco?

These guys were somehow born with IT I guess... since you can only be born with IT...

But they didn't let us know they were born with IT for a few seasons before they showed IT.

Omar is a joke.

_________________
Image


Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:16 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 2698
Location: MA.
Post Re: Dolphins' Ryan Tannehill looking better, but it's not enough
Rich wrote:
How did Eli Manning suck for all those seasons before a lucky catch by David Tyree?

And what about Joe Flacco?

These guys were somehow born with IT I guess... since you can only be born with IT...

But they didn't let us know they were born with IT for a few seasons before they showed IT.

Omar is a joke.


Eli was almost let go..I can remember talk about the Dolphins maybe getting him...Which i was all for..


Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:55 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 2698
Location: MA.
Post Re: Dolphins' Ryan Tannehill looking better, but it's not enough
jammer wrote:
Perspective - it took Pennington a few years to be effective and he also sucked for several seasons. He was okay and on the verge of being relieved by Henne when the Wildcat was introduced. He was the perfect guy to manage a game and work with the Wildcat versus a somewhat soft, Tom Brady-less schedule. He got exposed big time against better defenses and the following year was not making Miami a winning franchise.

I get it, Pennington was smart, efficient and limited by injury. But he wasn't the answer and if he is the barometer for Tannehill then we may as well be looking for a new QB.

I saw Kelly say that Pennington would have this team at 11 wins this year. I call complete BS because he isn't going to outgun other QBs. He doesn't have the Wildcat to pull off big plays and help him position the team for TDs. 2008 was an anomaly for so many reasons.



I was thinking the same thing reading the story........Omar is beyond bad


Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:58 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:11 pm
Posts: 8941
Location: Fargo, ND
Post Re: Dolphins' Ryan Tannehill looking better, but it's not enough
jammer wrote:
Yes, take a few exceptions and make it the rule. Was he saying the same things about Brees, E. Manning, Rivers, Rodgers, Stafford, Hasslebeck, etc. etc.?

Unfollowing him on Twitter is simply a relieving feeling. I respect that he works hard and tries to pump out information, but his arrogance and constant glass half empty approach sucks.

He really does lack perspective.

Sounds like some of the posters on this forum.

Omar is trying to stir the pot so that people will give him attention and follow him. It's ok to take a balanced, sensible and conservative approach to grading out players, but he needs to be able to do it across the board. He just seems to bash anything this franchise does (even when it is good).


Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:26 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:35 am
Posts: 1230
Location: Lakeland, Fl
Post Re: Dolphins' Ryan Tannehill looking better, but it's not enough
I'll say this about Pennington. He was a very smart QB. He was rarely fooled by defenses. He knew where the best match up would be based on what the defenses showed him. He didn't hold the ball too long or force throws into double coverage. He was fantastic hiding the ball during play action passing. Pennington was limited by a weak arm but threw to the open spots on the fields. The same could be said for Peyton Manning now. If Tannehill learns to consistently recognize the weakness in a defensive scheme, cut down tipped passes, avoid staring down WR's and holding the ball too long, he will have made huge strides.

_________________
Image


Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:52 pm
Profile
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:58 pm
Posts: 25
Location: Arizona
Post Re: Dolphins' Ryan Tannehill looking better, but it's not enough
Yeah, I'm tired of Omar's negative attitude about everything. Can anyone suggest someone else to follow on twitter that might provide good coverage without all the negativity? I'm not local, so I don't know all the local reporters.


Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:55 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 3269
Post Re: Dolphins' Ryan Tannehill looking better, but it's not enough
You could try https://twitter.com/ArmandoSalguero some people tolerate or even like Armando.

Chris Perkins https://twitter.com/chrisperk


Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:07 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 3269
Post Re: Dolphins' Ryan Tannehill looking better, but it's not enough
Poupart https://twitter.com/apoupartFins from dolphins digest.

Miami Heralds Beasley https://twitter.com/AdamHBeasley


Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:07 pm
Profile
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:58 pm
Posts: 25
Location: Arizona
Post Re: Dolphins' Ryan Tannehill looking better, but it's not enough
Thx AQNOR!


Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:34 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5431
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Dolphins' Ryan Tannehill looking better, but it's not enough
bobby0112 wrote:
I'll say this about Pennington. He was a very smart QB. He was rarely fooled by defenses. He knew where the best match up would be based on what the defenses showed him. He didn't hold the ball too long or force throws into double coverage. He was fantastic hiding the ball during play action passing. Pennington was limited by a weak arm but threw to the open spots on the fields. The same could be said for Peyton Manning now. If Tannehill learns to consistently recognize the weakness in a defensive scheme, cut down tipped passes, avoid staring down WR's and holding the ball too long, he will have made huge strides.


If Pennington had Henne's arm strength he'd still be the QB of the Dolphins. He limited mistakes and knew where to go with the ball. But he couldn't put a team on his back...regardless of revisionist history.


Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:56 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:48 pm
Posts: 54
Post Re: Dolphins' Ryan Tannehill looking better, but it's not enough
Omar Kelly is an idiot....no sugar coating....just an idiot


Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:02 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5694
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Dolphins' Ryan Tannehill looking better, but it's not enough
Rich wrote:
How did Eli Manning suck for all those seasons before a lucky catch by David Tyree?

And what about Joe Flacco?

These guys were somehow born with IT I guess... since you can only be born with IT...

But they didn't let us know they were born with IT for a few seasons before they showed IT.

Omar is a joke.



:bravo2:


Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:55 am
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5694
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Dolphins' Ryan Tannehill looking better, but it's not enough
Kev1321 wrote:
Rich wrote:
How did Eli Manning suck for all those seasons before a lucky catch by David Tyree?

And what about Joe Flacco?

These guys were somehow born with IT I guess... since you can only be born with IT...

But they didn't let us know they were born with IT for a few seasons before they showed IT.

Omar is a joke.


Eli was almost let go..I can remember talk about the Dolphins maybe getting him...Which i was all for..


What? When was that?


Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:56 am
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5694
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Dolphins' Ryan Tannehill looking better, but it's not enough
a non-negative Roto post

Quote:
Ryan Tannehill hasn't thrown an interception in more than a week at Dolphins camp.
By most accounts, Tannehill is putting together an extremely strong camp. Although he hasn't gotten on the same page with new burner Mike Wallace yet, he's protecting the ball while showing accuracy. We'll get a look at Tannehill's progress is Sunday's Hall of Fame Game against the Cowboys.


Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:37 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 2698
Location: MA.
Post Re: Dolphins' Ryan Tannehill looking better, but it's not enough
swerve13 wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

Eli was almost let go..I can remember talk about the Dolphins maybe getting him...Which i was all for..


What? When was that?


the same time they wanted coughlin fired...he was very average for his 1st 4 years with alot of picks


Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:25 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5694
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Dolphins' Ryan Tannehill looking better, but it's not enough
still don't ever remember those rumors.


Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:32 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 3657
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Post Re: Dolphins' Ryan Tannehill looking better, but it's not enough
I dont think Eli was ever on the trade block. Yes Coughlin was but the Giants went thru to much drafting him with the whole SD thing to give up on him 4 years in. Plus that organization is first rate, they knew the talent was there. The Coughlin thing was more of a player mutiny but Coughlin changed & the rest is history. Patriot fans can attest to that.

_________________
Extend Philbin!
Enough already , this is the best regime in the NFL ...by far!!
2014 Lazor Powered... THE MAKING OF A DYNASTY!!


Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:00 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:35 am
Posts: 1230
Location: Lakeland, Fl
Post Re: Dolphins' Ryan Tannehill looking better, but it's not enough
jammer wrote:
bobby0112 wrote:
I'll say this about Pennington. He was a very smart QB. He was rarely fooled by defenses. He knew where the best match up would be based on what the defenses showed him. He didn't hold the ball too long or force throws into double coverage. He was fantastic hiding the ball during play action passing. Pennington was limited by a weak arm but threw to the open spots on the fields. The same could be said for Peyton Manning now. If Tannehill learns to consistently recognize the weakness in a defensive scheme, cut down tipped passes, avoid staring down WR's and holding the ball too long, he will have made huge strides.


If Pennington had Henne's arm strength he'd still be the QB of the Dolphins. He limited mistakes and knew where to go with the ball. But he couldn't put a team on his back...regardless of revisionist history.


If Pennington had Henne's arm strength he would still be the QB of the Jets. :grin: But you are right he couldn't beat the better teams because he couldn't throw the ball deeper than 25 yards.

_________________
Image


Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:03 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5431
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Dolphins' Ryan Tannehill looking better, but it's not enough
bobby0112 wrote:
jammer wrote:
bobby0112 wrote:
I'll say this about Pennington. He was a very smart QB. He was rarely fooled by defenses. He knew where the best match up would be based on what the defenses showed him. He didn't hold the ball too long or force throws into double coverage. He was fantastic hiding the ball during play action passing. Pennington was limited by a weak arm but threw to the open spots on the fields. The same could be said for Peyton Manning now. If Tannehill learns to consistently recognize the weakness in a defensive scheme, cut down tipped passes, avoid staring down WR's and holding the ball too long, he will have made huge strides.


If Pennington had Henne's arm strength he'd still be the QB of the Dolphins. He limited mistakes and knew where to go with the ball. But he couldn't put a team on his back...regardless of revisionist history.


If Pennington had Henne's arm strength he would still be the QB of the Jets. :grin: But you are right he couldn't beat the better teams because he couldn't throw the ball deeper than 25 yards.


Smart a$$


Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:37 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5694
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Dolphins' Ryan Tannehill looking better, but it's not enough
FINesse wrote:
I dont think Eli was ever on the trade block. Yes Coughlin was but the Giants went thru to much drafting him with the whole SD thing to give up on him 4 years in. Plus that organization is first rate, they knew the talent was there. The Coughlin thing was more of a player mutiny but Coughlin changed & the rest is history. Patriot fans can attest to that.


exactly, I follow these nfl rumor mill sites for years and I never once heard mention of that,
plus I follow the Giants closely because my entire extended family are Giant fans. That never happened.


Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:15 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010 phpBB Group.
Designed by Coots & IamPZ - Phinfever.com.