View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Miami Dolphins Must Make Playoffs - No Excuses 
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Post Miami Dolphins Must Make Playoffs - No Excuses
Yup, thats what it says... Well just some reporter, but I tend to agree with his point of view. No more settling in hopes of next year, I accepted last season before it began as being average, but i did that in hopes that they can begin to reap rewards now, not in another year or two...

Quote:
The playoffs need to be the standard of excellence for the Dolphins, not a 9-7 season and narrowly missing the playoffs.

And someone in the organization needs to say it.

Get to the playoffs. There’s nothing else, there’s no excuses.

The table is set. This past offseason was what this organization had been shrewdly building toward. It didn’t re-sign Jake Long, Reggie Bush, Sean Smith, Anthony Fasano and others so it could go out and spend close to $200 million on Mike Wallace, Ellerbe, Philip Wheeler, Brent Grimes, Dustin Keller, Tyson Clabo and others.

That was the plan. They accomplished their goal.

Then the Dolphins traded up to No. 3 in the draft to get defensive end Dion Jordan, the top pass rusher in the draft. Well done. But you’d hope they got him to be part of a good team.

Good teams go to the playoffs.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/sfl-miami-dolphins-must-make-playoffs-no-excuses-20130808,0,5568571.story

Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:52 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Miami Dolphins Must Make Playoffs - No Excuses
Not only did they go out and sign pretty much everyone they wanted in FA, but also pulled off a trade and picked up the guy they really wanted in the draft. Taking into consideration the current state of the jets and bills, and possibly even trouble with the cheatriots, and I don't see how anyone could consider it a successful season without playoffs.

If not this season, when?

It's make or break for Ireland. Philbin and his crew seem to be doing well with they players they have. If these acquisitions don't get them to the playoffs this year, time find someone who can get the right guys.

I'm optimistic though. The only position that worries me is LT. I don't think they needed to get a LT in the first round, but doesn't look like the addressed the position at all really. We will see.
Go Dolphins!

Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:12 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

What I saw in that first preseason game really worries me. Anything less than the playoffs this season is a failure given all the talent that we brought in, and the way they played on Sunday just isn't going to cut it.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:22 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Making the playoffs is a realistic expectation this year............significant upgrades at key positions, 9 of our opponents were sub 500 last year and the AFC as a whole is down. That being said, I'm not going to support wholesale changes if the team goes 9-7. I like the way Ross put it, they're building an organization to be a consistent contender going forward.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:43 pm
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

Or else what? Are we going to send another coaching staff packing? My feeling is Philbin gets until next season to make something happen. Ireland...that's another story. This might be the make or break season for him.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:45 pm
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

Personally, I don't see why anything in the first preseason game worries anyone. Weren't there like 9 guys sitting? It might speak to depth issues but that's what these games are really about...finding out which players are going to be backups. If we're trying to figure out who the starters are, this team won't sniff the playoffs.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:49 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

NFLJunkie wrote:
Personally, I don't see why anything in the first preseason game worries anyone. Weren't there like 9 guys sitting? It might speak to depth issues but that's what these games are really about...finding out which players are going to be backups. If we're trying to figure out who the starters are, this team won't sniff the playoffs.

I agree, the first couple are just to really get an idea of the guys who are "on the bubble" as the put it.

I did see them mix Keller in a few times tho, I was thinking they are just giving him some reps to work on plays.. Maybe blocking assignments or simple routes, or just loosening him up..
Also we only really see our base offense and defense, its rare that they do much else.

I am basing my point on actions made by the GM/coaches, and I expect a 10 win season because they have "his guys" in place to run "his system" and I dont think they need more time to "put it all together"
IMO they traded playmakers when they were in need of them, let solid guys walk over peanut money, and basically ignored the fact that they just let a 65 million dollar 1st overall draft pick walk after 4 years and replaced him with a guy who looked bad filling in last year. I never said it before, but darn do I wish we drafted Matt Ryan now...

Your guys, your system, prove your worth...

Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:06 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

10acjed wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

I agree, the first couple are just to really get an idea of the guys who are "on the bubble" as the put it.

I did see them mix Keller in a few times tho, I was thinking they are just giving him some reps to work on plays.. Maybe blocking assignments or simple routes, or just loosening him up..
Also we only really see our base offense and defense, its rare that they do much else.

I am basing my point on actions made by the GM/coaches, and I expect a 10 win season because they have "his guys" in place to run "his system" and I dont think they need more time to "put it all together"
IMO they traded playmakers when they were in need of them, let solid guys walk over peanut money, and basically ignored the fact that they just let a 65 million dollar 1st overall draft pick walk after 4 years and replaced him with a guy who looked bad filling in last year. I never said it before, but darn do I wish we drafted Matt Ryan now...

Your guys, your system, prove your worth...

That game didn't mean too much......I watched some of the replay today. The O-line actually had good push on those runs with Miller..Even the fumble play

Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:35 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

The Dolphins will go as far as Tannehill takes them.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:41 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:

No offense ..... but as I've previously stated, that is pure "impatience" talking. On what planet do teams consistently vie for playoff berths after re-stocking not one, not two, not three, but FOUR units on the squad (TE, WR, OL, CB)???? .......and a team with a second year QB to boot! Only ones we catch doin' it already have upper echelon experienced QB's at the helm.

Dragging the past transgressions of previous regimes into what Philbin and Co. are working on now is a complete FAIL on the part of the fan base. When it comes to what takes place out there on the football field, they are not correlated. It takes time to build chemistry and to execute the playbook both offensively and defensively and playoff-caliber level. We're talking almost 10-12 guys who are either new faces to the team or are manning a position they've never started the season at.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:41 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:
...and basically ignored the fact that they just let a 65 million dollar 1st overall draft pick walk after 4 years and replaced him with a guy who looked bad filling in last year.

Martin may not be looking that good, but at least he won't be a wasted $65m on a guy who won't be in football in 18 months.

Get over Long. St. Louis made a bad decision in signing him. Ireland made a good decision in letting him walk, even if his best option at LT was me.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:47 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Personally I think some are just making excuses, so use to being mediocre that you wont even hold these people accountable...

They rebuilt units by choice, not force. They cleansed the roster of some of the best talent and now I am being an impatient fan..

Really? A miami dolphins fan, impatient.... They havent won a title since I was in diapers, cant get much more patient...

Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:13 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

degs wrote:
10acjed wrote:
...and basically ignored the fact that they just let a 65 million dollar 1st overall draft pick walk after 4 years and replaced him with a guy who looked bad filling in last year.

Martin may not be looking that good, but at least he won't be a wasted $65m on a guy who won't be in football in 18 months.

Get over Long. St. Louis made a bad decision in signing him. Ireland made a good decision in letting him walk, even if his best option at LT was me.

When Long is injured by week 10 the memory of him will be long gone. Pun completely intended.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:22 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

jammer wrote:
When Long is injured by week 10 the memory of him will be long gone. Pun completely intended.

I was thinking when the Dolphins win 10 games and make the playoffs the memory will be gone..

Im sick of using someone elses pain as our pleasure...

Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:41 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

cspooner13 wrote:
What I saw in that first preseason game really worries me. Anything less than the playoffs this season is a failure given all the talent that we brought in, and the way they played on Sunday just isn't going to cut it.

Peyton Manning went 2/5 in his start. Weeden went 10/13 for over 100 yards and a TD in the first half of his preseason game. It's nothing to worry about bro. The Falcons scored 3 pts in the first half and were booed by their home crowd...and this is only a preseason game. People overreact, it's fine.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:14 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
cspooner13 wrote:

Peyton Manning went 2/5 in his start. Weeden went 10/13 for over 100 yards and a TD in the first half of his preseason game. It's nothing to worry about bro. The Falcons scored 3 pts in the first half and were booed by their home crowd...and this is only a preseason game. People overreact, it's fine.

It's not the numbers that worry me, it's the way they looked.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:34 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]