View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 DE Derrick Shelby is having a great camp. 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post DE Derrick Shelby is having a great camp.
As deep as we are on the DL, I think it's impressive that Shelby has a very good chance of making the roster.

Quote:
You should know Derrick Shelby.

He's having a fine camp. He had a sack in the scrimmage. He had a sack in the preseason-opener against Dallas. Coaches love him.

“Derrick is a very sound football player," coach Joe Philbin said. "He is going to do it exactly the way [assistants] Kacy Rodgers, Charlie Bullen and Kevin Coyle want it done. I love him because he keeps his shoulder pads square. He gives effort. He is in the right spots when he is supposed to be. He knows what gap he has. He’s not jumping around things. He plays through people. He’s doing a nice job."

Shelby made the team last season as a rookie that took well to coaching and rarely made mistakes. This camp, he's trying to make the jump to actually making plays.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:14 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Post Re: DE Derrick Shelby is having a great camp.
Fourth DE behind Wake, Vernon and Jordan? I think so

Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:30 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Yeah, yeah, yeah .... we heard this last year too.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:43 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

So.... DL depth..... edges will be Wake, Vernon, Jordan, Shelby..... interior will be Starks, Soliai, Odrick, Randal......... makes me wonder if a trade may be in the works

I think Wake, and Jordan are too highly invested in the team, Vernon is a great surprise but probably offers little value, Shelby will make the roster. Odrick probably is too invested with his draft status and versatility to bring any return, and Randal is unknown....

Question is, do the Dolphins swing a trade somewhere (Starks/Soliai) for a OT? Starks is tagged, but Soliai may be the guy. I love the guy, but he's on the last year of his deal, and salary is relatively reasonable.....

Soliai for Albert? may lose some value, but i remember hearing we had a contract worked out already and compensation of the trade was the issue...

Soliai for Eugene Monroe? this is interesting seeing he was good for the Jags, but they drafted a new LT and hes in a franchise year I think

Not saying we NEED a LT, but we all know that it is a concern, I have faith in Martin, but with our depth on the DL and both Soliai and Starks not both gonna be here next year, its interesting to think maybe a preemptive move may be coming. Cant see Miami chasing a CB or LB at this point, WRs are set for the moment, and RBs I am happy with..... It would have to be an OL or a #4 WR.

Soliai for Albert sounds really intriguing. wouldnt lose a future #1 or #2 pick for it, and we would lose a player we weren't going to bring back anyways (assuming Starks is the plan going forward)

Just throwing it out there, could get interesting the way our young DL is developing.. honestly, I think our second string DL could be a starting front 4 in the league somewhere, no doubt

Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:11 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

an embarassment of riches

Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:11 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rock Sexton wrote:
Yeah, yeah, yeah .... we heard this last year too.

Next year will be our year

:fart:

Shelby and Bumphis, narrowly edging out 7-11 and Les Brown for preseason standouts

Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:17 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Big Dave wrote:
As deep as we are on the DL, I think it's impressive that Shelby has a very good chance of making the roster.

Quote:
You should know Derrick Shelby.

He's having a fine camp. He had a sack in the scrimmage. He had a sack in the preseason-opener against Dallas. Coaches love him.

“Derrick is a very sound football player," coach Joe Philbin said. "He is going to do it exactly the way [assistants] Kacy Rodgers, Charlie Bullen and Kevin Coyle want it done. I love him because he keeps his shoulder pads square. He gives effort. He is in the right spots when he is supposed to be. He knows what gap he has. He’s not jumping around things. He plays through people. He’s doing a nice job."

Shelby made the team last season as a rookie that took well to coaching and rarely made mistakes. This camp, he's trying to make the jump to actually making plays.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

I don't think I've ever heard Philbin say he loves a player. The kid must be doing alot of things right.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:04 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

doing any type of deal with this d line would be a mistake...the cheatriots ar going to try to run the ball this year and if we have trouble stopping it because we don't have solia they will just keep running play after play...

the phins have a great d line how about we use it

Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:43 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

shularino wrote:

I don't think I've ever heard Philbin say he loves a player. The kid must be doing alot of things right.

He got my attention in that game in the first quarter. I am hopeful that he can continue to play well against tougher competition. If a coach "loves" someone, then they are working their butts off in practice and are teachable.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:27 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I certainly would look great against the Jaguar DE's. Look at this from the Bucs preseason game a couple years back:

Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]