View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 For all the hype on Tannehill to Wallace..... 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post For all the hype on Tannehill to Wallace.....
I think the Tannehill to Keller is going to be huge this year. Keller appears to be inside RT's helmet. When I watched the J'ville game I saw two 20+ pass plays that illustrate this. It helps a lot that Keller has RT's complete confidence as evidenced by the TD that was by all accounts a pretty bad throw. Keller catches it and suddenly it becomes a great throw. I can't wait to see this combo in action in the regular season.
:pumpiron:

Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:36 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Post Re: For all the hype on Tannehill to Wallace.....
fantasy sleeper too! Not going until well after the 10th round in most drafts!

Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:54 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Wallace is just there to back the defense up a little I think Hartline and the running game will be the ones to benefit in the long run.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:48 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

rodneyfaile wrote:
Wallace is just there to back the defense up a little I think Hartline and the running game will be the ones to benefit in the long run.

I think I understand what you are saying but do you think Wallace average of about 60 receptions for appx. 1000 yards and 8 TD's a season is also something that comes into play as to why he is on the field and that the Phins coaches are expecting something similar this season?

Or do you see his role as mainly decoy and that those averages will not be a benchmark for a good season for him?

Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:06 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

AQNOR wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:

I think I understand what you are saying but do you think Wallace average of about 60 receptions for appx. 1000 yards and 8 TD's a season is also something that comes into play as to why he is on the field and that the Phins coaches are expecting something similar this season?

Or do you see his role as mainly decoy and that those averages will not be a benchmark for a good season for him?

Wallace had about 60 receptions for a little over 800 yards last year. I think he can do more than that, but I don't expect him to be like the #1 WR on other teams with over 100 receptions and between 1200-1500 yards.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:27 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator

Thats a lot of money for a decoy.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:03 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

rodneyfaile wrote:

Wallace had about 60 receptions for a little over 800 yards last year. I think he can do more than that, but I don't expect him to be like the #1 WR on other teams with over 100 receptions and between 1200-1500 yards.

I think only about 10-12 NFL WR would roughly fall into the statistical categories you stated for the 2012 season. You mention that you think Wallace can do better than last season. So if he put up say 70+ receptions for around 1000 yards and 8 TD's that kind of production would fall into the decoy range or legitimate starting WR range?

Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:04 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Wallace's presence will raise everybody's stats, Tannehill, Miller, Keller, Hartline, Gibson will all benefit from him.

Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:26 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

AQNOR wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:

Yep. For Wallace to stretch the defense he's going to have to hurt them, too, to gain their respect.

Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:31 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Many WR's could stretch defenses all day running deep, only works if the QB is capable of hitting him when he gets open and if the WR is capable of making the big catches.

Wallace is plenty capable, so the rest is what we are waiting for.

I really doubt Ireland and Philbins plan is to just pay fast guys to keep defenses honest while the rest of the team puts up big numbers...

I think a realistic expectation would be 60+ rec, 1k yards and 8+ TD's.

Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:30 am

Quote:
I really doubt Ireland and Philbins plan is to just pay fast guys to keep defenses honest while the rest of the team puts up big numbers...

I agree. If that were the case Usain Bolt would have come a lot cheaper & you know he would have wanted to play for Miami.

Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:50 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
I think the Tannehill to Keller is going to be huge this year. Keller appears to be inside RT's helmet. When I watched the J'ville game I saw two 20+ pass plays that illustrate this. It helps a lot that Keller has RT's complete confidence as evidenced by the TD that was by all accounts a pretty bad throw. Keller catches it and suddenly it becomes a great throw. I can't wait to see this combo in action in the regular season.
:pumpiron:

I agree, and that is a big positive for the passing game. The throw could have been better but I don't think that is a throw Tannehill attempts with Fasano, Clay or Egnew last year. That alone is a step forward.

I'm just throwing this out there but its quite possible that we aren't seeing much of Wallace yet because evaluations need to be done of unproven WRs. Is it a coincidence that McNutt is getting a lot of targets from Tannehill and so happens to be battling for the 4th WR spot? I think we'll see much more Tannehill to Wallace in Game 3 aka the dress rehearsal.

Keller and Hartline will be the safety valves and probably lead the team in receptions. Those guys plus Gibson and Wallace offer far more TD potential than having Hartline, Bess, Fasano and Insert 3rd WR.

Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:53 am

Quote:
I agree, and that is a big positive for the passing game. The throw could have been better but I don't think that is a throw Tannehill attempts with Fasano, Clay or Egnew last year. That alone is a step forward.

Oh I think he threw them...we just never saw one caught.

The guy we're going to miss big time is Bess. He was the most polished route runner of any WR we had and was money. I just hope it doesn't turn into another Wes Welker thing. That hurt for years to come.

Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:41 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
Quote:

Oh I think he threw them...we just never saw one caught.

The guy we're going to miss big time is Bess. He was the most polished route runner of any WR we had and was money. I just hope it doesn't turn into another Wes Welker thing. That hurt for years to come.

I too am pretty confident that getting rid of Bess was a mistake. He could do the 2 things that you expect WRs to do: get open and catch the ball. He is one of the better slot receivers in the league, and we got rid of him for reasons I still don't understand.

Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:25 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I loved Bess too. I always go for the underdog, and an undrafted guy who makes it onto an NFL team is a great story.

But, many cried out when they let Greg Camarillo go, and said he would be great playing with Favre on the Vikings. How did that turn out?
Sometimes I think we forget just how far behind other NFL teams the Dolphins have been at the WR position. What looked great on the Dolphins was equal to a practice squad member on another team.

I can see Bess doing well on the Browns, but I like what the Dolphins have with Wallace, Hartline, Gibson, and Keller.

GO DOLPHINS!

Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:29 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

The only thing that makes sense about getting rid of Bess was that in this O the receivers need to be able to run all of the routes not just the slot. I remember wondering, along with others, why Bess was running routes down field (and not getting open) when you knew that was not his strength. The coaches answer I believe was that was what the O called for.

I would guess that they believe in the O more than in Bess and are getting people that they think can play it the way they want it played and not adapting it to the individual.

Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:44 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

We don't need Bess anymore. keller and Gibson will give us more than he offered.

Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:46 am

This cog of the team will be fine. Tannehill will emerge this season as one of the best & this group of receivers is also one of the best.

Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:14 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

swerve13 wrote:
We don't need Bess anymore. keller and Gibson will give us more than he offered.

In this case I prefer or...

Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:20 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

This cog of th1e team will be fine. Tannehill will emerge this season as one of the best & this group of receivers is also one of the best.

you got it mitch... :)

Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:23 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I actually agree with this statement, IF, Gibson especially delivers as the brain trust hopes replacing Bess in the slot role. I liked Davone Bess, but he had an average number on the yards per catch and hardly ever got in the end zone. 61 catches 778 yards and 1 touchdown are numbers that can be replaced and personally I believe Gibson has the ability to topple those stats.

Last season, Gibson was targeted 75 times on first down or touchdown routes, and he converted 43 times for a 57.33 percent success rate, which was narrowly ahead of San Diego’s Malcolm Floyd (57.32 percent) and was number one in this ratio.

Davone Bess ranked 46th (38 receptions on 96 targets; 39.58 percent)

Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:44 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

If Bess were still on the team, his role would have been diminished anyway.
Most of the balls are going to Wallace, Hartline and Keller this year. And Thigpen replaced him as a returner. People act like we let a Pro Bowler leave.

Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:07 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FINesse wrote:
This cog of the team will be fine. Tannehill will emerge this season as one of the best & this group of receivers is also one of the best.

We're the best at everything. They should re-brand the NFL to the MDFL (Miami Dolphins Football League). I think we'll be the first team to feature future Hall of Famers at every starting position this year.

Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:10 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FINesse wrote:

This WR corp can be good, but it's not one of the tops in the league by a long-shot.

Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:16 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]