View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:17 pm



Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ] 
 Dan Carpenter ... cut 
Author Message
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:05 am
Posts: 863
Location: Mount Vernon, Iowa
Post Dan Carpenter ... cut
Has been cut. I think we all knew it was coming, now it's official.

_________________
www.aspoonfulofsports.blogspot.com
www.aspoonfulofsports.com


Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:25 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:05 am
Posts: 863
Location: Mount Vernon, Iowa
Post Re: Dan Carpenter
Forgot the link to the article, my bad.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/press ... 0b33838c70

_________________
www.aspoonfulofsports.blogspot.com
www.aspoonfulofsports.com


Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:27 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:58 am
Posts: 1240
Post Re: Dan Carpenter
$2 million in cap space for a guy who cost this team two games last year. I don't think so

_________________
Image


Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:27 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 3118
Location: MA.
Post Re: Dan Carpenter
He will be signed as soon as he clears waivers..His salary caught up with him


Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:29 pm
Profile
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:15 pm
Posts: 42
Post Re: Dan Carpenter
I will miss that mullet

:cry:


Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:32 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:35 pm
Posts: 3434
Location: Charleston AFB, SC
Post Re: Dan Carpenter
Bittersweet really. He was money for a couple years, just seemed to drop off. Young cheap talent is the way to go though. Sturgis is pretty darn good.


Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:37 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 3621
Post Re: Dan Carpenter ... cut
Good move to do it now imo so that he has plenty of time to catch on with another team before the season.

Quote:
Andrew Abramson @AbramsonPBP

Dan Carpenter has made 81.9% of his FG attempts in his career, 21st best in NFL history. But he was only 16th-best rated kicker last year.


https://twitter.com/AbramsonPBP


Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:49 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 5911
Post Re: Dan Carpenter ... cut
See you later Kickatrocious


Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:14 pm
Profile
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 3427
Location: Columbia, SC
Post Re: Dan Carpenter
Kev1321 wrote:
He will be signed as soon as he clears waivers..His salary caught up with him


Yeap.......

_________________
Image


Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:24 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 4510
Post Re: Dan Carpenter
TommyNoleFin wrote:
$2 million in cap space for a guy who cost this team two games last year. I don't think so

NY Jets. What other game did he cost Miami?


Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:27 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:05 am
Posts: 863
Location: Mount Vernon, Iowa
Post Re: Dan Carpenter
Dphins4me wrote:
TommyNoleFin wrote:
$2 million in cap space for a guy who cost this team two games last year. I don't think so

NY Jets. What other game did he cost Miami?


You can make the argument that he cost us the Arizona game too. I wouldn't, but you could.

_________________
www.aspoonfulofsports.blogspot.com
www.aspoonfulofsports.com


Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:34 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:11 pm
Posts: 8956
Location: Fargo, ND
Post Re: Dan Carpenter ... cut
Sad to see him go. Money is money though so I understand. He had a down year, but I believe he is still a pro-bowl caliber kicker. Let's hope Sturgis can do nearly as well or better. Carp was solid for us all but last year, and even last year he wasn't atrocious, just not clutch a couple times.
I am a bit surprised we couldn't get a trade worked out, but perhaps kickers are hard to trade.


Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:08 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 4510
Post Re: Dan Carpenter
cspooner13 wrote:

You can make the argument that he cost us the Arizona game too. I wouldn't, but you could.

One could I guess. It would be a really weak argument, especially when the D gave up 24 points in the 2nd half. Blaming the kicker for losing a game for missing a 51 Yd FG at the start of the 3rd Qtr is a lazy man argument. Did he contribute? I guess, but 51 Yd FGs are not gimmes. No matter who is kicking them.


Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:01 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:05 am
Posts: 863
Location: Mount Vernon, Iowa
Post Re: Dan Carpenter
Dphins4me wrote:
cspooner13 wrote:

You can make the argument that he cost us the Arizona game too. I wouldn't, but you could.

One could I guess. It would be a really weak argument, especially when the D gave up 24 points in the 2nd half. Blaming the kicker for losing a game for missing a 51 Yd FG at the start of the 3rd Qtr is a lazy man argument. Did he contribute? I guess, but 51 Yd FGs are not gimmes. No matter who is kicking them.


I agree, but I've seen the argument made more than a few times.

_________________
www.aspoonfulofsports.blogspot.com
www.aspoonfulofsports.com


Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:23 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:07 pm
Posts: 60
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Post Re: Dan Carpenter ... cut
cspooner13 wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
cspooner13 wrote:

You can make the argument that he cost us the Arizona game too. I wouldn't, but you could.

One could I guess. It would be a really weak argument, especially when the D gave up 24 points in the 2nd half. Blaming the kicker for losing a game for missing a 51 Yd FG at the start of the 3rd Qtr is a lazy man argument. Did he contribute? I guess, but 51 Yd FGs are not gimmes. No matter who is kicking them.


I agree, but I've seen the argument made more than a few times.


50 yarders aren't easy by any means, but as a kicker in the NFL you have one job.. There's only 32 of you in the world who get paid that much to do that job. Plus when you're playing in a dome where you aren't worrying about the elements of wind or precipitation there really is no excuse for missing that kick.. If you can't make it then there are plenty of hungry, motivated players waiting for their opportunity.

_________________
Image


Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:45 pm
Profile YIM WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 4510
Post Re: Dan Carpenter ... cut
BlameItonTheHenne wrote:
50 yarders aren't easy by any means, but as a kicker in the NFL you have one job.. There's only 32 of you in the world who get paid that much to do that job. Plus when you're playing in a dome where you aren't worrying about the elements of wind or precipitation there really is no excuse for missing that kick.. If you can't make it then there are plenty of hungry, motivated players waiting for their opportunity.

Maybe, but no one is perfect in this world, no matter who or what you get paid. Its not like he missed a 25 Yd FG.

24 points allowed by the D cost Miami that game. Again to put all the blame on him is lazy. Not to mention the O only put up one TD in the 2nd half.

It was a group effort.

I cannot lay blame of kickers for missing 50+ Yd FGs as costing the game, especially when it happens with ~25 minutes left in the game.


Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:17 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 4589
Location: Wellington, FL
Post Re: Dan Carpenter ... cut
Glad they let him go early, has plenty of time to get a new deal somewhere.

Carpenter was solid for us, kickers miss occasionally, nothing worth crucifying the guy over tho. This was clearly a money move, I wish him luck.

_________________
Caveat: These are the opinions of this user, and may differ from your opinion. Please use common sense before taking offense.
Reply may contain sarcasm


Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:33 am
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:57 am
Posts: 4788
Location: Houston, Texas
Post Re: Dan Carpenter ... cut
I thought if you look at 2010 that was Carpenters worst year kicking for the phins. The other years he was at 80% or better (I believe). He was a good kicker and I wish him well and my hope is he doesn't land in our division.

I have heard Cleveland rumors, so although I wish him well, I don't want to see any game winning kicks against the Dolphins! Same with Davone Bess not doing well opening day!


Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:39 am
Profile
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8993
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Re: Dan Carpenter ... cut
Dphins4me wrote:
Its not like he missed a 25 Yd FG.


That brings back memories of Olindo Mare.

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:17 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:46 pm
Posts: 57
Post Re: Dan Carpenter ... cut
Finhead34 wrote:
I thought if you look at 2010 that was Carpenters worst year kicking for the phins. The other years he was at 80% or better (I believe). He was a good kicker and I wish him well and my hope is he doesn't land in our division.

I have heard Cleveland rumors, so although I wish him well, I don't want to see any game winning kicks against the Dolphins! Same with Davone Bess not doing well opening day!



I would welcome Carpenter kicking a game deciding field goal against us because over 45 yards I feel is a miss. My problem with Carp is not that he is an overall bad kicker, I feel he is above average for the most part. My issue is he does not have the "clutch" gene that NFL kickers must have. I never felt comfortable when Carp was kicking meaningful FGs in his tenure with Miami and have several bad memories of big kicks missed.


Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:27 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21636
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Dan Carpenter ... cut
I've always considered Carpenter's kick-offs an issue.

Despite his so-called leg strength, I've seen too many "frozen ropes" or kicks that don't reach the endzone, even since the kick off was moved closer to mid field.

_________________
Image


Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:31 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 3118
Location: MA.
Post Re: Dan Carpenter ... cut
He wasn't a good kicker and he was being paid like one of the best...


Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:41 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:05 am
Posts: 863
Location: Mount Vernon, Iowa
Post Re: Dan Carpenter ... cut
Kev1321 wrote:
He wasn't a good kicker and he was being paid like one of the best...


Since when does making 82% of your kicks make you not a good kicker? Maybe the guy wasn't "clutch", but to say that he wasn't a good kicker is just not true

_________________
www.aspoonfulofsports.blogspot.com
www.aspoonfulofsports.com


Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:49 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:05 pm
Posts: 2436
Location: NSW, Australia
Post Re: Dan Carpenter ... cut
A 5th round pick to save $2m in cap money... not a bad trade IF Sturgiss proves to be a good player.

I'm sure Carpenter will land on his feet. Good luck to him in the future.


Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:58 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21636
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Dan Carpenter ... cut
cspooner13 wrote:
Since when does making 82% of your kicks make you not a good kicker?


Since he sucked at kickoffs.

_________________
Image


Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:18 pm
Profile
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 6634
Post Re: Dan Carpenter ... cut
Since he sucked at kickoffs.

This is a good point. He was pretty good at field goals, but his kickoffs did blow.


Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:36 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:05 am
Posts: 863
Location: Mount Vernon, Iowa
Post Re: Dan Carpenter ... cut
Rich wrote:
cspooner13 wrote:
Since when does making 82% of your kicks make you not a good kicker?


Since he sucked at kickoffs.


Miami was 14th in touchback percentage last year and 12th in 2011. So Carpenter was average on kickoffs, and really good kicking field goals. That would average out to at least above average to me. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong.

_________________
www.aspoonfulofsports.blogspot.com
www.aspoonfulofsports.com


Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:49 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 3118
Location: MA.
Post Re: Dan Carpenter ... cut
That
81% last year and good for 24th in the league...Not worth the second highest paid kicker in the league....He has steadily declined....


Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:35 am
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21636
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Dan Carpenter ... cut
cspooner13 wrote:
Miami was 14th in touchback percentage last year and 12th in 2011. So Carpenter was average on kickoffs, and really good kicking field goals. That would average out to at least above average to me. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong.


Carpenter was rated 16th on kickoffs and 27th in field goal percentage in 2012.

_________________
Image


Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:43 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 3118
Location: MA.
Post Re: Dan Carpenter ... cut
Rich wrote:
cspooner13 wrote:
Miami was 14th in touchback percentage last year and 12th in 2011. So Carpenter was average on kickoffs, and really good kicking field goals. That would average out to at least above average to me. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong.


Carpenter was rated 16th on kickoffs and 27th in field goal percentage in 2012.


He should get a raise!


Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:24 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 3118
Location: MA.
Post Re: Dan Carpenter ... cut
Rich wrote:
cspooner13 wrote:
Miami was 14th in touchback percentage last year and 12th in 2011. So Carpenter was average on kickoffs, and really good kicking field goals. That would average out to at least above average to me. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong.


Carpenter was rated 16th on kickoffs and 27th in field goal percentage in 2012.


ESPN has him 24 in %:...Wicked good


Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:29 am
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 1301
Location: Charlotte, NC
Post Re: Dan Carpenter ... cut
I wouldn't be surprised if the Pat's brought him. Gostkowski has been struggling in preseason.


Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:13 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010 phpBB Group.
Designed by Coots & IamPZ - Phinfever.com.