View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Young Tight Ends Ready To Step Up 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Young Tight Ends Ready To Step Up
Quote:
Alain Poupart Editor Dolphin Digest

The signing of veteran Dustin Keller as a free agent was the Dolphins’ most significant move at tight end in the offseason, but they’ve also used the draft to try to build up some depth at the position.

The time may have come to try to cash in on those moves.

With Keller sustaining an injury Saturday night against Houston that by all appearances was serious, bigger roles could be on the agenda for one or more of the Dolphins’ three recent draft picks at tight end — third-year veteran Charles Clay, second-year player Michael Egnew and rookie Dion Sims.

“Dustin brought a lot to the table for us,” quarterback Ryan Tannehill said after the game Saturday night. “He’s a great player and it’s a tough situation. But at the end of the day we have to have somebody step up and play in his shoes. We have a good tight end room with Egnew, Clay, Dion, and those guys are going to have to step up and fill the void. I think we have the guys in the room to (succeed).” ...

“We have other guys that have caught the ball down the middle,” Philbin said. “We’ve got some big targets. Egnew is a big man. Dion Sims is a big man. Clay has caught the ball down the middle before. We’ll adjust.” ...

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/artic ... 348275cba1

Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:07 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Young Tight Ends Ready To Step Up
This message brought to you by the Miami Dolphins.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:26 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Clay is beter suited as a FB. Sims can't get open. Egnew can't block. I say kick the tires on some aging vets that are still out there: Randy McMichael, Todd Heap, Jeremy Shockey, or Kevin Boss.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:03 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

TommyNoleFin wrote:
Clay is beter suited as a FB. Sims can't get open. Egnew can't block. I say kick the tires on some aging vets that are still out there: Randy McMichael, Todd Heap, Jeremy Shockey, or Kevin Boss.

Keller couldn't block either.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:08 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Clay is beter suited as a FB. Sims can't get open. Egnew can't block

Sorry Tommy, respect your thoughts, but I will beg to differ on this one.

Clay IMO is very much like Keller, no blocking, but can get open down the seam and when he is on, has good receiving and safety net ability for Tannehill.

Sims from what I saw, DOES get open, but has had trouble catching the ball so far. BIG target too that IMO has some ability to contribute right away, he needs to focus more, but did you see him get down field against Jacksonville, it wasn't a completion but he ran that go route and got behind the defenders. Just cannot drop the ball and Tannehill on a few occasions has hit him right in the numbers.

Egnew, actually his blocking has gotten much better and this guy is athletic and can be seam catcher.

I think Clay gets that first look at replacing Keller as the go to guy with Egnew and Sims in during blocking downs and also to contribute catching.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:24 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Finhead34 wrote:
Sorry Tommy, respect your thoughts, but I will beg to differ on this one.

Clay IMO is very much like Keller, no blocking, but can get open down the seam and when he is on, has good receiving and safety net ability for Tannehill.

Sims from what I saw, DOES get open, but has had trouble catching the ball so far. BIG target too that IMO has some ability to contribute right away, he needs to focus more, but did you see him get down field against Jacksonville, it wasn't a completion but he ran that go route and got behind the defenders. Just cannot drop the ball and Tannehill on a few occasions has hit him right in the numbers.

Egnew, actually his blocking has gotten much better and this guy is athletic and can be seam catcher.

I think Clay gets that first look at replacing Keller as the go to guy with Egnew and Sims in during blocking downs and also to contribute catching.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:48 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:
TommyNoleFin wrote:

Keller couldn't block either.

Regardless of Keller being able to block or not, McMichael, Heap, Boss, and Shockey are better than what's on the roster now.  I suppose Ireland thought Keller would be injured later in the year, thus allowing Egnew to suddenly stop sucking and Sims to develop a bit before being given playing major time.  TE was a position of weakness entering camp, and now it's a giant hole of ineptitude.  This team needed help BEFORE Keller's inevitable injury.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:16 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

I happen to agree here that there is a big gap between Keller and the rest. FWIW catagory, it seemed RT and Keller were on the same page. I don't get that same feeling between what's left on the roster. I like Clay as a backup. Egnew is a big target but plays small. Sims....he's a man-child. 6-4 260lbs....I'd love for him to step up and take the roll.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:20 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

NFLJunkie wrote:
I happen to agree here that there is a big gap between Keller and the rest. FWIW catagory, it seemed RT and Keller were on the same page. I don't get that same feeling between what's left on the roster. I like Clay as a backup. Egnew is a big target but plays small. Sims....he's a man-child. 6-4 260lbs....I'd love for him to step up and take the roll.

I think this is a make it or break it year for Ireland. The question is whether or not he wants to grab a veteran free agent, swing a trade or go with the remaining TE's on the roster. I think he is almost forced to bring in a veteran TE.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:33 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

TommyNoleFin wrote:
BEFORE Keller's inevitable injury.

Inevitable?

Quote:
After not missing a game or a practice in his first four years in the NFL, a pulled groin and high ankle sprain hindered Keller's production in the 2012 regular season,

Posting without any knowledge of his career?

Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:48 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Bottom line is someone needs to step up and fill Keller's void. This is the NFL and these guys get paid to play ball. I think someone on the roster will step up as they have seen plenty in mini camp, summer camp and now 3 preseason games.

Do you sign a veteran again now at this point or do you go with what you have and expect someone to produce?

Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:58 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Armando Salguero @ArmandoSalguero

TE Donald Lee won't be rejoining Dolphins or reuniting with Joe Philbin. His reps called and team isn't interested at this time.

https://twitter.com/ArmandoSalguero

Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:00 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

The coaching staff needs to use each of these guys strenths and minimize the times their weekness' are going to be a factor in the game...

Put your players in position to succeed!

Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:13 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Everybody has their opinion... here's mine. If we are going to make a trade, it needs to be for someone who is clearly an upgrade over the guys on our roster now. I don't see us signing Heap or McMichael as they are not IMO a clear upgrade with their age and injury issues. Two names that popped up that intrigue me are Jacob Tamme (supposedly the coaching staff is enamored with the younger guys on the team) and Brent Celek. Either of those could be a seam threat and I have the impression that Celek at least can actually block as well. Not sure what I'd offer for either of those guys, but it caught my attention.

OK... cueing naysayers: 3... 2... 1...

Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:28 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Brent Celek is interesting to me. I've always liked his pass-catching ability and he does seem to be a decent blocker. Might be able to be had for cheap as Philly brought in Zach Ertz.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:52 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Good point regarding Celek and I've read he has had a lackluster camp. He's still young and he would be an upgrade over what we have. I believe our guys have more potential and upside over any FA TE out there. There;s a reason they are out there.....

Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:40 am

We're not going to get a front line tight end via trade... not before the season starts anyway.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:27 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Sorry but this has to be said, isn't it a pretty bad indictment on the scouts, GM and coaching staff if they have drafted three TEs (well, Clay sort of) over the last 3 years and none of them or some combo of them can step up?

That said, I think you give them the chance to see what they can do in this week's game (its the season dress rehearsal) and move forward from there.

I wouldn't trade a pick unless there was a guy you knew was going to be cut and you didn't want to fight to get him. I don't think a trade is out of the question, especially with Ireland's history, but I see waiver wire first.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:33 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

thought one of the young wr.'s would step up last year..that didn't work so well.

the patriots have an undrafted free agent this year starting at te

Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:41 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

McMichael, Heap, Boss, and Shockey are better than what's on the roster now.

Yeah... maybe 5 years ago. None of those guys have shown any ability to stay healthy, or contribute, as of late.

I say stick with what we got and use our other talent to compensate for the lack of TE production if need be.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:34 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

There is a reason those guys are still FAs this close to the start of regular season.

I'd rather just get what we can out of Egnew or Clay than to try and get something more out of one of those guys.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:20 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rock Sexton wrote:
This message brought to you by the Miami Dolphins.

Nailed it.

rodneyfaile wrote:
There is a reason those guys are still FAs this close to the start of regular season.

I'd rather just get what we can out of Egnew or Clay than to try and get something more out of one of those guys.

I agree that we're better off leaving the FAs alone. I may be one of the few here but I think Sims is a future stud. I caught a couple of his Mich St games and he stood out as an athlete that can really move for his size. Hes not gonna burn anyone but if he's committed to learning the game and body control it may not matter. Hes as big as any LB & can out jump any DB.

I personally don't feel any desire to talk about Egnew because his chance is here if he wants it or not. So I think we use Clay for some creative routes (maybe even the way the Pats are looking to use Vareen) & let Sims block & be a redzone target

Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:59 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Our coach says Egnew has improved that is good enough for me. I have no doubt that this team has enough depth to handle the Keller injury. While it is a tough loss it is one we can certainly overcome & still obtain all the high expectations that is expected of this team.
Forever the optimist I am!
:runwiththeball:

Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:32 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I love the glass half full Mitch!! lol...

Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:05 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Wonder if the Bengals would deal Gresham?
Wouldn't mind getting DJ Williams or Quarless from Green Bay either.
Derrick Shelby could be a valuable trade chip. He's looked good all preseason. Teams need ends.

Tony Moeaki from KC maybe???

Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:54 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

http://phinphanatic.com/2013/08/19/miam ... e-targets/

pretty good write up. I'm a big fan of making a trade for Williams or Moeaki

Quote:
Now we’ll head out to Kansas City and take a look at a guy who actually was supposed to be the heir apparent to the great Kansas City tight end, Tony Gonzalez. That’s right, Tony Moeaki.
Moeaki is probably the most interesting guy on the short list of tight ends the Dolphins could, more likely should, look at. The former Iowa, that’s right Iowa, tight end has a ton of traits that Miami is missing at the tight end position. Moeaki is a seam-threat tight end who possesses a big, red-zone type body and has incredible athleticism.
Moeaki is cheap, young and possesses the skills that Miami needs at the position. Sign me up.
Kansas City can afford to part ways with Moeaki after drafting Cincinnati tight end, Travis Kelcie, this past april and signing former Miami Dolphin, Anthony Fasano, during the free agent period. Will they be willing to part ways? Well, if I’m Jeff Ireland, I’d do everything I can to see if I can’t pry him away from KC.

Let’s take a quick trip to Green Bay where receivers and tight ends grow on trees.
I’m not going to sugar-coat it, DJ Williams is a guy Miami could use. The former Arkansas tight end was known as one of college football’s best tight ends. Aaaaand then he went through the scouting process. Oh, he’s too short. Oh, he’s too slow. Oh, he won’t succeed as a tight end. Better make the move to H-back.
Williams is a very good blocking tight end and would do a fine job for Miami. The only issue is, would Green Bay be willing to part ways? A part of me says no. But a part of me says yes. No, it’s not due to Philbin’s ties to the organization. It’s really just because of the depth they have at the position. Williams is expendable.
Realistically this is an scenario that could happen, but it most likely will not. And that may upset you. Sorry.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:33 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Moeaki footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc54HkMyYRY

this guy was never used to his full potential in KC.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:41 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:
Moeaki footage

We've got a plethora of defensive linemen, I wouldn't mind seeing us ship Shelby to KC for Moeaki. Best idea I've heard so far. Though if Egnew really has improved as much as we're being led to believe, then he should get an opportunity to prove his worth.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:49 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I will be surprised if Ireland goes to the scrap yard for a free agent tight end as I see one of the young guys stepping up. This is their time to prove why they are on this team, so IMO you don't panic and run out and sign someone when you have 3 capable potential replacements already on your roster.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:44 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

The thing I fear with a trade for Moeaki is why would KC want to get rid of him? Why did they draft Kelcie?

If it is for a 7th round pick then fine.

As for Miami's TEs, I guess the best we can hope for is the baseball equivelant of closer by committee. Maybe Sims effectively helps on running plays and provides short yardage potential. Clay, operating as an H-Back, still has the speed to get open down the seam or create YAC in the flat. Egnew is a 3rd down specialist and Red Zone guy.

If Miami can effectively use play action roll outs (been screaming for this since the Henne era) I think the young TEs have a chance to turn short throws into big gains.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:18 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
Moeaki footage

He blew out his knee, that's why.

swerve13 wrote:
Wonder if the Bengals would deal Gresham?
Wouldn't mind getting DJ Williams or Quarless from Green Bay either.
Derrick Shelby could be a valuable trade chip. He's looked good all preseason. Teams need ends.

Bengals are not getting rid of Gresham. The they drafted the TE from Notre Dame in order to run two TE sets like the Patriots.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:31 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Just wanted to address the thread title again. Based on what we've seen, what we've read and coaches comments, who do you think steps up?

Philbin seems to consistently point out Egnew's improvement. I will say I've noticed much better blocking from him. Are they really putting their eggs in his basket?

The other intriguing name seems to be Evan Rodriguez. I haven't really noticed him yet but his name keeps coming up.

Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:14 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

WIth the 2 TE set in the NFL nowadays, no team is going to cut or trade a stud TE. Sorry guys, TM sucks and no one is going to trade a TE unless they know he sucks.

Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:24 pm

Yeah this Tony Moeaki love is unreal... kid hasn't done anything since his rookie year.

Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:23 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

IamPZ wrote:
Yeah this Tony Moeaki love is unreal... kid hasn't done anything since his rookie year.

First of all, this is last week's news already. 2nd of all it's not really "love", it was searching for a fix for a team desperate for a legit tight end. We probably have the worst tight end situation in the NFL. Not a good thing for a team that employs the West Coast offense.

Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:22 am

swerve13 wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

First of all, this is last week's news already. 2nd of all it's not really "love", it was searching for a fix for a team desperate for a legit tight end. We probably have the worst tight end situation in the NFL. Not a good thing for a team that employs the West Coast offense.

My first of all is that Tony Moeaki is not a legit TE!

Why the heck are you gonna trade away picks for a guy who has shown nothing more than what we currently have on the roster? You guys are shooting out scenarios just to shoot out scenarios... put some thought into it at least.

Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:43 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:

Moeaki is FARRRRRR from legit.

Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:45 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

before injuries he was good. Injuries have obviously taken their toll.
Just watch the video posted above, those were big time plays like a wide receiver, let alone a tight end. Very talented player that cant stay healthy.

Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:00 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
Just watch the video posted above, those were big time plays like a wide receiver, let alone a tight end. Very talented player that cant stay healthy.

I watched him. I had him on my fantasy team his rookie year. Waiver wire pickup.

Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:08 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:

I think that's exactly what these other guys are saying, why would we want that? How does it help our situation to bring in a guy who can't stay healthy?

Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:26 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next