View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Undefeated ’72 Dolphins to finally receive White House honor 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Undefeated ’72 Dolphins to finally receive White House honor
I'm a conservative, but I would be honored to go see President Obama. Langer, Fernandez, and Kooch need to separate football from politics.

CNN wrote:
After push from player, undefeated ’72 Dolphins to receive White House honor

Washington (CNN) – Four decades after they became the only NFL team so far to cap a perfect season with a Super Bowl win, the 1972 Miami Dolphins are headed to the White House on Tuesday.

“Marking the 40th anniversary of their Super Bowl victory seems appropriate, considering they won that Super Bowl at a time before NFL Super Bowl champions regularly visited the White House,” Deputy White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest said.

Former Dolphins tight end Marv Fleming has spent the past 15 years writing letters and talking to public officials trying to get some presidential attention for his old team.

“Every year, I’d see another team, somebody else going to the White House and not us,” Fleming said. “Why not us?”

Don Shula, coach of the 1972 team, shares his former player’s excitement.

“I’m really looking forward to it,” Shula said on CNN. “It’s an honor and a privilege to be there and I’m sure all of the ’72 team that can make it health-wise are going to be there.”

But a few former Dolphins have told author and columnist Dave Hyde they won’t be attending.

In a recent column for Florida’s Sun Sentinel, Hyde, who’s also written two books about the undefeated Dolphins, quotes three members of the team saying they plan to skip the ceremony with President Barack Obama for political reasons.

They include center Jim Langer, Manny Fernandez, and left guard Bob Kuechenberg,

Fleming calls going to the White House another Super Bowl for him. He said the logjam broke when he talked about his quest with former Washington Redskins tackle George Starke. At the time, Starke’s wife Petra was a lawyer in the White House Counsel’s office.

Ironically, it was Starke’s Redskins who the Dolphins defeated in Super Bowl VII in January 1973.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/20 ... +Ticker%29

Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:56 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Undefeated ’72 Dolphins to finally receive White House honor
Mercury Morris making the most of this. So glad he gets an extra 15 minutes of fame this year.
http://www.tmz.com/2013/08/20/1972-miami-dolphins-mercury-morris-rips-president-nixon-racist/

Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:53 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Glad we live in a country where Langer, Fernandez, and Kuech can decide for themselves what to do with their time.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:10 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

AQNOR wrote:
Glad we live in a country where Langer, Fernandez, and Kuech can decide for themselves what to do with their time.

Me too.

Unfortunately, they will probably be viewed as racists for not agreeing with this president...

Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:45 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

Me too.

Unfortunately, they will probably be viewed as racists for not agreeing with this president...

It's not about agreeing with the president -- it's about respecting the office. It's an honor to meet the president, no matter what your political beliefs are. Obviously they have the freedom to do what they please... personally, I think it makes them look like petulant, bitter old men. I'd say the same thing if Bush was in office too.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:26 pm

MNDolfan wrote:
Rich wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

Me too.

It's not about agreeing with the president -- it's about respecting the office. It's an honor to meet the president, no matter what your political beliefs are. Obviously they have the freedom to do what they please... personally, I think it makes them look like petulant, bitter old men. I'd say the same thing if Bush was in office too.

Obviously, they (and many others in this country) feel that this president has deviated so much from what the Constitution established that they don't even want to be in the same room.

I'd probably do the same thing if I were them. And they aren't the only athletes that have bypassed a visit to the White House after winning a championship. We've seen it with some athletes on recent championship teams.

Can they be labeled as petulant, bitter old men as well?

Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:43 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Here are some photos that are posted on Yahoo!

http://sports.yahoo.com/photos/1972-dol ... slideshow/

Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:54 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

MNDolfan wrote:

I was not a fan of Bush. But, if he called me to the White House in order to honor me for my accomplishment? I'm so there. I'm getting his autograph and taking pictures with him. And when its over, I'm posting those pics on Facebook and hanging one on the wall of my house.

The office of the Presidency deserves respect. Most of this lack of respect comes from some hyper partisanship and trashy "political talk" that has been especially present in our discourse lately. No matter what side it is, the effect is to erode the respect that the office deserves.

I also don't like what Morris is doing with the spotlight. It's bitter as well. He is hardly the first to call a President racist, but hey, at least he wasn't a prominent employee of a popular news channel.

Rich wrote:
I'd probably do the same thing if I were them. And they aren't the only athletes that have bypassed a visit to the White House after winning a championship. We've seen it with some athletes on recent championship teams.

Can they be labeled as petulant, bitter old men as well?

"Petulant.... young men" would work.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:01 pm

1984phins wrote:
The office of the Presidency deserves respect.

Respect is earned, not given.

When presidents do bad jobs, they lose the respect of the people. See Nixon, Bush or our current president.

[/quote]Most of this lack of respect comes from some hyper partisanship and trashy "political talk" that has been especially present in our discourse lately.[/quote]

Lately?

I seem to recall a lot of hateful, trashy political talk when the president had an R next to his name as well. Murderer, Bush lied, people died, kill Bush etc.

Quote:
No matter what side it is, the effect is to erode the respect that the office deserves.

When you have presidents in the White House hiring prostitutes, illegally spying on their political enemies or getting head while on the phone with senators, that also helps erode the respect of the office.

This erosion has been going on for decades.

Quote:
"Petulant.... young men" would work.

So you're saying that the disagreements these three former Dolphins have with President Obama are sudden and over trifling annoyances...

I guess, as an example, the erosion of personal liberty and privacy is a trifling annoyance to some...

Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:18 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:
Respect is earned, not given.

When presidents do bad jobs, they lose the respect of the people. See Nixon, Bush or our current president.

Sure, if a president resigns to save himself the hassle of being impeached and removed from office, sure.

Bush and Obama? Different cases.

Rich wrote:
Lately?

I seem to recall a lot of hateful, trashy political talk when the president had an R next to his name as well. Murderer, Bush lied, people died, kill Bush etc.

Yeah. That falls under "lately."

Rich wrote:
When you have presidents in the White House hiring prostitutes, illegally spying on their political enemies or getting head while on the phone with senators, that also helps erode the respect of the office.

This erosion has been going on for decades.

Agreed. Yet I don't feel that does the same kind of damage that constant one-sided partisan talk radio/tv does.

Rich wrote:
So you're saying that the disagreements these three former Dolphins have with President Obama are sudden and over trifling annoyances...

I guess, as an example, the erosion of personal liberty and privacy is a trifling annoyance to some...

I would love for them to explain what their disagreements are, then I can judge them better from there. But, I really do suspect that if a president on their side was committing those "transgressions" (either real or imaginary) I bet they wouldn't feel the same way.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:44 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Jeff Darlington ‏@JeffDarlington
Shula in rare form! He presents Obama with jersey and says he hopes President can find a good place for it to remind him of 1985 "whooping."

Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]