View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 PFF: Dustin Keller Injury – 2013 Fantasy Football Impact 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post PFF: Dustin Keller Injury – 2013 Fantasy Football Impact
This is actually a good article projecting how the Dolphins can replace Keller's expected production.

Pro Football Focus wrote:
Dustin Keller Injury – 2013 Fantasy Football Impact

The obvious first place to look for a replacement is behind Keller on the depth chart. Unfortunately, the pickings are quite slim. Rookie Dion Sims has been one of the biggest bright spots of the Dolphins’ offseason, demonstrating himself to be a strong blocker with the potential to develop into a solid safety-net receiver, but he isn’t close to ready to replacing Keller’s production in 2013. Another option, Charles Clay, hasn’t really shown much as a receiver n his first two years in the league. Drafted as a fullback in 2011, he is more likely to be clearing lanes for Lamar Miller and Daniel Thomas than he is to be making a consistent impact downfield. And 2012 third-round pick Michael Egnew, a combine star already battling the “bust” label, now finds himself merely battling for a roster spot. Evan Rodriguez could also have an impact.

Instead, an entirely different strategy will likely be required, with the Patriots’ expanded use of running back Shane Vereen expected to replace must of what would have been Aaron Hernandez’s production. One possibility would be to take Joe Philbin’s word that he’s quite high on Thomas and to look at last night’s production against the Texans (4 carries for 25 yards, 1 reception for 27 yards) and imagine that Thomas would play the Stevan Ridley role in the Fins’ backfield while Miller plays the part of Vereen. This would mean a big increase in fantasy production from the Dolphins’ running back corps, while effectively eliminating the Dolphins’ tight end corps from fantasy consideration.

Another possibility is that the Fins would go with more three-receiver sets while using Sims and Clay to provide increased pass protection for Tannehill. Should that happen, free agent signee Brandon Gibson could quickly emerge as a valuable slot receiver for PPR leagues, as opposed to a buried third option behind Mike Wallace and Brian Hartline. As it stands right now, both Wallace and Hartline are already terrific buy-low candidates, as their ADP is far below their likely production.

However, if Keller’s production is split – probably the most likely scenario – the real takeaway from this injury is that fantasy owners are going to start paying increased attention to Miller/Thomas and Wallace/Hartline/Gibson, all of whom are likely to see a bump in their fantasy value following Keller’s injury.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... ll-impact/

Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:15 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: PFF: Dustin Keller Injury – 2013 Fantasy Football Impact
Big Dave wrote:
This is actually a good article projecting how the Dolphins can ATTEMPT TO replace Keller's expected production.

Fixed.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:29 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

What I got from the article was that the WRs and RBs may see increased fantasy value because the TEs behind Keller are not going to factor in nearly as much as he did, and the ball has to go to someone. I wouldn't call that making up for losing him.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:04 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

rodneyfaile wrote:
What I got from the article was that the WRs and RBs may see increased fantasy value because the TEs behind Keller are not going to factor in nearly as much as he did, and the ball has to go to someone. I wouldn't call that making up for losing him.

TE's are the guys you want taking advantage of linebacker mismatches. If we go to a runningback, who on our squad actually has the pass receiving skills to take advantage of that? If we still had Reggie Bush, the loss of Keller wouldn't hurt so bad in that regard.

If we go 3-Wide, teams are not going to be matching up their linebackers on Gibson.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:15 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Rock Sexton wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:

TE's are the guys you want taking advantage of linebacker mismatches. If we go to a runningback, who on our squad actually has the pass receiving skills to take advantage of that? If we still had Reggie Bush, the loss of Keller wouldn't hurt so bad in that regard.

If we go 3-Wide, teams are not going to be matching up their linebackers on Gibson.

Shane Vereen caught something like less than 10 passes in his career prior to this year and he's being asked to be a big part of the receiving unit in New England.

It's time to stop saying, "who can do this" and start saying "Such and such will do this."

Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:00 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:

I agree.

There were probably a lot of plays designed to get Keller the ball, and I bet they were planning on using him extensively. I don't think they plan on utilizing the backup TEs in the same manner, so naturally that means plays designed to get the ball in the hands of RBs and WRs, thus a very small boost to their fantasy value.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:04 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

IamPZ wrote:
Shane Vereen caught something like less than 10 passes in his career prior to this year and he's being asked to be a big part of the receiving unit in New England.

It's time to stop saying, "who can do this" and start saying "Such and such will do this."

Just because Vereen is being asked, doesn't necessarily make it a viable/reliable option to replace the production of Aaron Hernandez. I mean what are we talking about here?

The Dolphins can attempt to replace some of what Keller would've provided, but in the aggregate. What really needs to happen is one of the backups needs to come out of nowhere and provide a legitimate impact. Keller should grab Egnew by the shirt, look him in the eye, and tell him to man up.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:19 am

Rock Sexton wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

Just because Vereen is being asked, doesn't necessarily make it a viable/reliable option to replace the production of Aaron Hernandez. I mean what are we talking about here?

The Dolphins can attempt to replace some of what Keller would've provided, but in the aggregate. What really needs to happen is one of the backups needs to come out of nowhere and provide a legitimate impact. Keller should grab Egnew by the shirt, look him in the eye, and tell him to man up.

I think we may be saying the same thing. At the end of the day, someone needs to step up. These guys get few opportunities like this... who's gonna take the bull by the horns?

Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]