View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 PFF breakdown of Dolphins/Browns game 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post PFF breakdown of Dolphins/Browns game
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... wns-week-1

Quote:
What a difference August makes. A few weeks ago, the Miami Dolphins faithful were giddy to see their haul of free agents in action. However, a fumbled handoff on their first preseason offensive snap portended a team which may not add up to the sum of its parts. Meanwhile, the Cleveland Browns seemed to be in full rebuilding mode, with a new coaching staff and a sophomore quarterback left for dead. But a few impressive performances by Brandon Weeden has everyone wondering if there’s a sleeper playoff contender in Ohio.

Neither of these conclusions are wise, of course. You just need to look at the Atlanta Falcons’ 1-3 record, or Sam Bradford’s 116.3 quarterback rating in the 2012 preseason to know that it’s foolish to read too much into August football. What we do know is that both these teams are hoping their sophomore quarterbacks can lead them out of the NFL desert. Will Miami’s new pieces fit together to lead them to the playoffs, or will they be just the latest team whose desperate GM dragged them into salary cap doom? Will Cleveland’s injection of young talent blossom, or will they play down to their inexperience? Here are three matchups that could decide which of these two teams starts the 2013 season on the right foot.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:16 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: PFF breakdown of Dolphins/Browns game
the whole game could simply come down to this...

Quote:
Across from Schwartz will be the incomparable Cameron Wake, the best 4-3 defensive end in the league last season. With 86 QB pressures in 2012, he tied Von Miller for the most in the NFL. He regularly schooled even the league’s best tackles, notching six pressures against Sebastian Vollmer in Week 13 and adding two sacks off Anthony Davis the next week. Schwartz’s weakness last season came on his outside pass blocking, where he allowed 61% of his pressures. Wake in turn is one of the most devastating outside rushers in the league, converting 49% of his outside pressures last season into sacks. And as good as Weeden looked this preseason, he still had a 39.6 passer rating when pressured. If Schwartz isn’t up to the task, Wake could single-handedly deflate Cleveland’s air attack.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:23 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

They mentioned that Paul Soliai and Randy Starks aren't that good against the run and their individual analysis bears that out. However, they had Miami ranked as a top 10 defense stopping the run.

It will be interesting to see how the rotation of Soliai, Odrick and Starks do against the Browns running game.

I think that is the key.

If we stop the run, we win. If we don't it will be a long day.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:50 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Things I want to see:

Offense

Tannehill with (at least) 2 TD passes and no turnovers.

OL limiting pressures and getting the RBs around 100 yds

One of the TE's making a key TD catch

Defense

Limiting Richardson to 75 yds or less on the Ground

Applying enough pressure to force 2 turnovers from Weeden

These are things that will make me feel more confident long term.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:01 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Our LB's being able to cover the TE. Yeah its just a rookie TE but we saw what a good rookie TE can do to defenses last night in Denver. It opens up the entire passing game. If Wheeler and Misi are not up to the task, Miami will struggle. Wake is a force, but I fully expect a TE or back to chip him on every play so pressure will need to come from the other side as well. Slowing Richardson is key to forcing them into 3rd and longs. I think this game is going to be back and forth. Mistakes by Miami will be amplified by the buzz of opening weekend.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:46 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Barkevious Mingo is now officially out with a bruised lung, I really cannot see us losing this game.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:17 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Barkevious Mingo is now officially out with a bruised lung, I really cannot see us losing this game.

bust!

Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:21 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Is this sarcasm young EAST?

Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:59 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
They mentioned that Paul Soliai and Randy Starks aren't that good against the run and their individual analysis bears that out. However, they had Miami ranked as a top 10 defense stopping the run.

It will be interesting to see how the rotation of Soliai, Odrick and Starks do against the Browns running game.

I think that is the key.

I agree with this. And we usually do well againt types like Richardson.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:48 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

AFCMiamiEast wrote:

I was never worried about Mingo anyway, he's nobody right now. We gotta stop Sheard from wreakin any havoc.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:49 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:

I think that is the key.

That is what I think Miami intends to do. Put 7 and 8 in the box and dare Weeden to beat them throwing the ball.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:27 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Until Weeden shows something in the regular season, that should be how every team defends the Browns. Stack up to stop Richardson, make Weeden prove he can perform.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:51 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]