View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Dolphins 23, Browns 10: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Dolphins 23, Browns 10: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
Rich wrote:
Dolphins 23, Browns 10: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
by Rich Rodriguez

The Good

Ryan Tannehill - After a slow first half in which he was sacked 3 times and threw an interception, Tannehill got it going in the 2nd half, finding Brandon Gibson and Brian Hartline often. Not a bad showing against a pretty good defense.

Brian Hartline - 9 catches for 114 yards and 1 TD, Hartline did it all with his crisp route running and incredible sideline catches.

Brandon Gibson - Good debut for Gibson with 7 catches for 77 yards. Gibson is filling in nicely in the slot so far.

Charles Clay - Looked good, particularly in the first half with 5 catches for 54 yards. Hopefully he can continue to fill the gap for Dustin Keller.

Dmitri Patterson - Monster game with 2 interceptions. He was the best Dolphins cornerback on the field against the Browns.

Cameron Wake - 2.5 sacks to start the season. Big day for Wake, who was constantly beating his man and harassing Brandon Weeden.

Randy Starks - The franchise player had a franchise day with 1.5 sacks.

Caleb Sturgis - Nice start rookie, going 3 for 3, including a 49 yarder.

The Dolphins Defense - Against a very good offensive line, the Dolphins held the Browns to 47 yards on the ground, 1 of 14 on third down and caused three interceptions. The lone blemish was Jordan Cameron's 9 catch, 108 yard, 1 TD day.

The Bad

Run Game - 20 yards on 23 carries for a 0.9 ypc average. I don't think I've ever seen such ineptness on the ground by the Dolphins. The Dolphins running backs were getting hit in the backfield way too often.

Offensive Line - Poor run blocking and there were some break downs in pass protection. Tannehill got sacked 4 times.

Offensive Playcalling - I don't normally criticize playcalling, but I saw a lot of vanilla out there. I could have predicted most of the plays I saw out there. It was obvious when we were going to run. And it is a shame that when Joe Haden was lined up 10-12 yards off Mike Wallace, the Dolphins weren't dialing up quick slants to Wallace to take advantage of it.

The Ugly

Mike Wallace - It didn't look pretty on the stat sheet with 1 catch for 15 yards and one drop. But at the same time, I am convinced that Mike Wallace's presence opened up the passing game for the other two receivers. His time will come, he needs to be patient and be a team guy rather than a me guy.

Overall

Solid win on the road against a team that has some high hopes for this season. The Dolphins struggled early but got things clicking as the game went on. However, the offensive line needs to improve drastically both run blocking and protecting Ryan Tannehill. If this offensive line gets it together, watch out for this team.

http://www.phinfever.com/newsite/index. ... 1&Itemid=1

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:16 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Dolphins 23, Browns 10: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
The running game was terrible. I agree with you on the play calling. Sherman needs to change things up and stop being so vanilla. Clay and Patterson were pleasant surprises. Sturgis and Fields had good/great games. Tannehill looked very composed and confident today.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:24 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Great write up rich. RT came up huge in the 2nd half. Coaching is an issue with this team whether it's keeping players under control or the playcalling. Like I've said earlier in the year, RT is the key and he played like a "real" QB today against a good defense.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:25 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Too bad we did not cut Clay before the 1st game. ; )

Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:25 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

lol

Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:27 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

AQNOR wrote:

LOL. I was on that bandwagon. I guess when a player isn't used to their strengths they look pretty bad. Today he made those plays from the FB position, not the TE position. I'm glad they figured out how to use him.

The Dolphins are assembling a group of playmakers in the passing game. If we only had a TE now.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:38 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Quote:
It was obvious when we were going to run
Finhead and I were talking about this during the game. There is a definite tip-off to the defense on running plays.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:39 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Big Dave wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

LOL. I was on that bandwagon. I guess when a player isn't used to their strengths they look pretty bad. Today he made those plays from the FB position, not the TE position. I'm glad they figured out how to use him.

The Dolphins are assembling a group of playmakers in the passing game. If we only had a TE now.

lol Dave I honestly could not remember who all was saying that. Thanks for taking the ribbing good naturedly.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:42 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Said in the broadcast Clay had a couple penalties..But he was a pleasant surprise. Some of those catches were pretty tough

Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:46 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
Quote:
Finhead and I were talking about this during the game. There is a definite tip-off to the defense on running plays.

At this point, I would attribute that to an inept running game, forcing the coaches in to formations and plays that are simple rather than poor play calling.

I have issues with Sherman's play calling in general, but I'm not sure I'd lay the blame on our piss poor running effort on bad play calling before I laid it on an OL and RB corps that is just barely adequate to play in the NFL.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:49 pm
Profile WWW

eleaf wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
Quote:

At this point, I would attribute that to an inept running game, forcing the coaches in to formations and plays that are simple rather than poor play calling.

I have issues with Sherman's play calling in general, but I'm not sure I'd lay the blame on our piss poor running effort on bad play calling before I laid it on an OL and RB corps that is just barely adequate to play in the NFL.

Maybe I'm wrong but the Brown's defense seems to be pretty good. That's no excuse for .9 yds a carry but when you see the Browns safeties sneak up to the LOS right before the snap on running play, they knew it as well.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:53 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
Maybe I'm wrong but the Brown's defense seems to be pretty good. That's no excuse for .9 yds a carry but when you see the Browns safeties sneak up to the LOS right before the snap on running play, they knew it as well.

I'm sure the Browns safeties knew a run was coming. I generally did. I'm arguing that the running game was so generic from the get-go because we have running personnel that is barely adequate which necessitated bland play calling in the running game, rather than bland and predictable play calling leading to our running game dropping a turd.

And yes, the Browns do have a formidable defense.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:02 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

This was exactly the game I thought was going to happen. Low scoring affair between two teams that still need quite a bit of work and chemistry.

A win is a win, especially on the road ..... but regardless of Cleveland's own optimism about itself, it's not a quality road win yet. Perhaps later in the year if Cleveland puts together a decent season it will be. But for now, the Dolphins were aided TREMENDOUSLY from some really lousy self-inflicted WR tipped passes. What I liked though is that for the first time in I can't even tell you how long, our secondary converted those opportunities instead of dropping them. So kudos to Dimitri Patterson in particular, who if I'm not mistaken was supposed to be a scratch for the game.

The D-line is stout and the LB's were extremely active. Those two Ellerbe and Wheeler react with such quickness I'm not used to it. One thing about Wheeler though is he's so light in the pants. He almost looks like a safety. I stood in awe of Wake's final "full" sack. I swear he came off the line like he was shot out of a space cannon.

The offense needs a lot of work. If anyone here thinks we're going to compete at a high level the rest of the year with Tannehill throwin' 40+ times a game they are seriously fooling themselves. There is no way our O-line will hold up. Clabo looked like a man Atlanta isn't second guessing his release. Obviously the run game suffers too, but neither of these backs looked the part in this game.

Brian Hartline was tremendous playing in front of his hometown crowd, which you could see was a direct reflection of the coverage Wallace requires. Gibson had a nice game too with a lot of separation in his routes, thankfully after dropping that wide open pass early in the game. It's going to have to be that way for the majority of the season because of the bracketing Wallace is always going to see. Clay had 5 for 54 yards, but honestly this team looks hell bent on the 3 WR set post-Keller. I'd like to be one of those to pat themselves on the back for drafting Caleb Sturgis on both my fantasy teams. Great 1st game for that kid.

Nice to win the opener. Nice to convert turnover opportunities even if we really didn't create them. Still lots of work to be done. The result wouldn't be like this vs. an upper tier opponent. That O-line really needs to look themselves in the mirror.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:05 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Carroll's pick was great coverage, not a tipped pass.

Also, yes blocking is part of the problem with the run game but the run schemes are not basic and simple, just predictable. Too much outside running and not enough north south.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:28 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

Also, yes blocking is part of the problem with the run game but the run schemes are not basic and simple, just predictable. Too much outside running and not enough north south.

Two tipped passes are still two tipped passes.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:31 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:
Rich wrote:

Two tipped passes are still two tipped passes.

Ok? Did I say otherwise?

You said we didn't create the turnovers, I was pointing out that we did create one.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:33 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Ok? Did I say otherwise?

You said we didn't create the turnovers, I was pointing out that we did create one.

OK .... "for the most part".

That better?

Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:39 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Trade up for a RB bext year? Not saying it's all Millers fault, but goodrunning backs make plays out of badsituations.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:21 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ski_Money wrote:
Trade up for a RB bext year? Not saying it's all Millers fault, but goodrunning backs make plays out of badsituations.

Knee Jerk Award contender!!

Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:09 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Ski_Money wrote:

lots of running backs get shut down all the time, It happened to guys today, it happens to Chris Johnson all the time. Even Richardson in this very game was held to pedestrian numbers. Give it time guys, Miller's schedule breathes alot easier the rest of the way.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:30 pm

It's being reported that we hit Weeden 16 times today. Poor bastard's gonna be sore tomorrow.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:13 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:
It's being reported that we hit Weeden 16 times today. Poor bastard's gonna be sore tomorrow.

If the Dolphins hit me 16 times, there would be a funeral.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:32 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

24/28 for 272 yards and 1 TD

the int was off of a tip.....

I think the kid played a solid game TBH

Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:57 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

degs wrote:
Ski_Money wrote:

ya i'd say

and lets not forget the 0-line was not opening many holes either.....

Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:59 am

randylvc wrote:
24/28 for 272 yards and 1 TD

the int was off of a tip.....

I think the kid played a solid game TBH

Yeah but that tip was a pass tipped by a Browns defender with two hands. The guy that tipped it should have picked it... so it was a bad throw either way.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:58 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

swerve13 wrote:

I was telling someone today that it seemed that on every throw we had someone pounding him. I have to give defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle an attaboy for a nice game plan. He let the dogs loose.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:44 pm
Profile WWW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBnUKkhL0b0

which brings us back to Skip Bayless saying that Brandon Weeden will be a better pro quarterback than Ryan Tannehill. LOL

Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:46 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

swerve13 wrote:
Ski_Money wrote:

lots of running backs get shut down all the time, It happened to guys today, it happens to Chris Johnson all the time. Even Richardson in this very game was held to pedestrian numbers. Give it time guys, Miller's schedule breathes alot easier the rest of the way.

I still can't believe how stupid Cleveland was for only giving Trent 13 carries when Weeden threw it 56 times. He was more productive than the 47 yards indicate.

Then again it was Norv Turner.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:00 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
I still can't believe how stupid Cleveland was for only giving Trent 13 carries when Weeden threw it 56 times. He was more productive than the 47 yards indicate.

Yup. Total moron move.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:02 pm

i can't stand the schedule makers. I want to play the other east teams now, not 6 weeks from now. I think we can beat any of them the way our defense looks. And it was just announced Shane Vereen will be out a few weeks. That was their main weapon yesterday. We could smash through any of those 3 offensive lines to hammer Geno, E.J. or Tommy Princess.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:10 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:
i can't stand the schedule makers. I want to play the other east teams now, not 6 weeks from now. I think we can beat any of them the way our defense looks. And it was just announced Shane Vereen will be out a few weeks. That was their main weapon yesterday. We could smash through any of those 3 offensive lines to hammer Geno, E.J. or Tommy Princess.

So you want to have the schedule makers have us play teams that have injured players at key positions?

Oh Boy :hithead:

Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:21 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Yup. Total moron move.

Actually 33 of those passes were either end of 1st half drive or late when the score was 20-10..
The game dictated it. And the Dolphins last year had a history of not stopping the pass to well.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:31 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Kev1321 wrote:
Actually 33 of those passes were either end of 1st half drive or late when the score was 20-10..
The game dictated it. And the Dolphins last year had a history of not stopping the pass to well.

With a score of 7-6 going into halftime, apparently passing the ball wasn't quite an effective strategy .... especially in a tightly contested, low scoring game. Eight carries in one half is absurd for a guy like Richardson.

When you concede to not running a guy like that, you inadvertently make your own offense one-dimensional. They don't have the horses for that. All that ended up happening was their defense spent too much time on the field and they got gassed.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:52 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:

Yes, how dare they schedule meaningful divisional games for the end of the season.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:17 pm
Profile WWW
Snorton Norton
Snorton Norton

Buffalo nearly won getting an early game with the patriots before they start warming up. It would be nice.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:39 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

With a score of 7-6 going into halftime, apparently passing the ball wasn't quite an effective strategy .... especially in a tightly contested, low scoring game. Eight carries in one half is absurd for a guy like Richardson.

When you concede to not running a guy like that, you inadvertently make your own offense one-dimensional. They don't have the horses for that. All that ended up happening was their defense spent too much time on the field and they got gassed.

Ya on that 2nd and 16 would have been a great time or the 3rd and 10?..And with 4 minutes left in the half they should have just run the ball(they did give him the ball twiceand we got the ball back with 28 seconds)....Which play in the first would you run for 3.6 yds. instead again?

Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:39 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
The Dolphins played well against the Cleveland Browns. Well, most of the Dolphins played well.

With the exception of the offensive line, tight ends and running backs, it's fair to suggest the Dolphins had a good day on Sunday. ProFootballFocus.com agrees based on its Week 1 gradebook that the website has made available to me through our 2013 partnership.

Below is what the PFF analytics reveal from Miami's 23-10 victory and what I think of some of the metrics.

OFFENSIVE SUMMARY

Both offensive tackles had days to forget, with Tyson Clabo and Jonathan Martin underwhelming in run blocking.

Salguero: Clabo had a good, but not great day pass blocking. He had a positive grade on pass plays and locked down that side. It was another story with his run blocking. He struggled and was indeed the worst graded run blocker on the offensive line. Martin also was better at pass blocking than run blocking but had a negative grade on both. Of Miami's five offensive linemen, only guard Richie Incognito had an overall positive grade.

The snap breakdown between Lamar Miller and Daniel Thomas suggests an even split. Miller had 37 snaps, while Thomas received 33.

Miller gave up a hit and a hurry in only 7 pass blocking snaps.

TE Dion Sims played 15 snaps and Michael Egnew saw 21 at tight end. Sims ran just 3 pass routes, while Egnew ran 9.

PASSING

On plays when Ryan Tannehill wasn’t under any pressure, he was 21-for-29. When pressured, he was 3-for-9 and was sacked 4 times.

RECEIVING

All 5 of Mike Wallace’s targets came against Joe Haden. He had a drop and only one reception.

Salguero: Much is being made of Mike Wallace's attitude regarding the game plan after the game. In truth, he got more snaps than either Brian Hartlineor Brandon Gibson while still getting targeted fewer times and catching fewer passes.Dolphins’ receivers dropped four passes, with Brandon Gibson leading the way with 2 drops. Wallace also tripped mid route on a deep post down the middle of the field which eventually went over his head.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:54 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

degs wrote:
Ski_Money wrote:

Second that.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:13 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Kev1321 wrote:
Ya on that 2nd and 16 would have been a great time or the 3rd and 10?..And with 4 minutes left in the half they should have just run the ball(they did give him the ball twiceand we got the ball back with 28 seconds)....Which play in the first would you run for 3.6 yds. instead again?

LOL .... you go ahead and cherry pick a scattered few individual plays to try and justify to me the brilliance of dropping Weeden back 53 times and rushing Richardson 13 times.

10-10 game to start the fourth quarter. Browns started with the ball ..... 7 straight shotgun passes. We put on a 10 play drive for nearly 4minutes and score a TD. What do they do to follow up? Three and out after 2 passes out of the shotgun and 1 no huddle. Richardson's final carry happened in the third quarter, a 7 yarder. Never heard from in the fourth whatsoever.

Like I said .... the playing calling on their part was pitiful. Played right into our hands. They flashed early in their first drive that they could run the ball, but got away from it. We see it time and time again with backs like Richardson. You have to commit to them.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:53 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

LOL .... you go ahead and cherry pick a scattered few individual plays to try and justify to me the brilliance of dropping Weeden back 53 times and rushing Richardson 13 times.

10-10 game to start the fourth quarter. Browns started with the ball ..... 7 straight shotgun passes. We put on a 10 play drive for nearly 4minutes and score a TD. What do they do to follow up? Three and out after 2 passes out of the shotgun and 1 no huddle. Richardson's final carry happened in the third quarter, a 7 yarder. Never heard from in the fourth whatsoever.

Like I said .... the playing calling on their part was pitiful. Played right into our hands. They flashed early in their first drive that they could run the ball, but got away from it. We see it time and time again with backs like Richardson. You have to commit to them.

Ya those were bad calls too..funny lol

Lets see they converted not one but two 1st downs(bad calls?) and had a 2nd and 19 and 3rd and 19(which one would you have run on this time?) and it was 6 plays 1 penalty..not 7
That 3.6 would have bailed them out...

I'm sure if you wanted to force the 3.6 and and ran maybe 2 or 3 more times against a very good Dolphin rush D in a pass league you could be a better coach(Sparano)...The game dictated almost all those plays.
33 of those passes were clock plays or out of control score plays and i'm not gonna bother counting but i'm guessing plenty more were dictated by down and yardage.We did have 5 sacks and they had some penalties.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next