View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 calling the run plays (confused) 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Post calling the run plays (confused)
I was also bewildered last year about the plays called for our running backs. Seemed that the same play was called over and over again last year and even this game when our backs were stopped at the line or even lost a yard. It was like there are no other plays to call. I am not a coach but if the play dosen't work after several trys do something else.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:00 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post Re: calling the run plays (confused)
I know there's work to be done on the running game but just be thankful that Sherman didn't call more running plays. If that were other regimes they would've forced the running game even when it wasn't working. At least Sherman put the ball in the hands of Tannehill and took what the defense gave him. Could've been worse. Sparano, fist-pumping fG type bad.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:29 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I hardly see a stretch play or an off tackle to the weakside formation.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:36 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I'll tell you what ... no matter what running play Sherman called on Sunday, it wasn't going to work. I'm not to worried about Miller. Once he starts to get a hole he'll stop being tentative hitting the line. He was being mugged way before he could get to the line many times. It all starts up front.

I'm not as panicked about our running game as the media is. They want us to look bad for not resigning Reggie Bush. How many times did Chris Johnson get very little with Tennessee the past couple of years? BTW, kudos to the Lions for being smart enough to know how to use Bush. We left a lot of his talent on the drawing board.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:13 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I don't remember them trying a draw play. Maybe the Phins were wrong not to resign Bush, of course if you are not going to use him effectively maybe it does not matter. I don't trust the Phins OC.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:49 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

AQNOR wrote:
I don't remember them trying a draw play. Maybe the Phins were wrong not to resign Bush, of course if you are not going to use him effectively maybe it does not matter. I don't trust the Phins OC.

As far as an impact player and the contract cost, its a no brainer. One of the dumbest moves this off season. Problem is Reggie did not "fit" here. Philbin wants guys to just take whats there, if the hole closes push forward and take whatever.
He did not like Reggie seeing the hole close, then try and break it outside, he wanted him to push forward. If you dig through the articles last year there are a couple weeks where Philbin expressed his feelings on it.

So until the o-line can create enough space for Miller to run through, and the FB/TE blocks the LB's I would not expect to see him busting them out.

Hopefuly Indy's poor run D keeps up this week and we can at least get some work done on the ground.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:07 am

RT, I think, was the most effective rookie passer against the Blitz. Cleveland laid off and it cost them. I think RT will see more of it this week so with that more draws and screens. The only screen I saw went to Thomas and he couldn't beat the LB to the hole. I was thinking Miller would've been a no brainer on that play.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:45 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
If that were other regimes they would've forced the running game even when it wasn't working.

I disagree. I remember many a game where the Phins would completely abandon the run, which had been working, after the first half because they panicked about being down by 3.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:50 pm
Profile WWW

eleaf wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
If that were other regimes they would've forced the running game even when it wasn't working.

I disagree. I remember many a game where the Phins would completely abandon the run, which had been working, after the first half because they panicked about being down by 3.

Really? I remember this series more often than not:
1st Down - run left
2nd Down - run right
3rd and 8, incomplete.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:14 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

NFLJunkie wrote:
eleaf wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

Really? I remember this series more often than not:
1st Down - run left
2nd Down - run right
3rd and 8, incomplete.

I agree Junkie. But it often ended up 3rd and 11 or more. I remember countless times last year when Bush got dropped for 4 and 5 yard losses because he would dance instead of take what he could get. Sherman needs to mix it up and throw more on first down. And going with a hurry up no huddle offense now and then wouldn't hurt either.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]