View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 DC Kevin Coyle created a package named "speed" 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post DC Kevin Coyle created a package named "speed"
Quote:
DAVIE, Fla. -- The Miami Dolphins, who face four of the NFL's top quarterbacks in the next month, figured it would be wise to come up with something fast.

So defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle created a package named "speed."

The scheme gets ends Cameron Wake, Olivier Vernon and Dion Jordan into the game together, which gives the Dolphins a formidable pass rush and considerable flexibility. Miami unveiled the alignment in Sunday's season-opening win at Cleveland, and Coyle said it will be used more in the weeks to come.

"We can do a lot of things with those guys on the field," Coyle said. "We had a lot of fast guys on the field with that particular group. We can cover with those guys because they are all athletic; you might have seen Dion dropping into coverage a few times. We just scratched the surface with that."

The speed package is one of many schemes designed to take advantage of the depth and versatility in Miami's defensive front seven, which is the strength of the team. But the group will be sorely tested by the upcoming schedule, beginning Sunday when the Dolphins face Andrew Luck in Indianapolis. Then come Matt Ryan and Atlanta, Drew Brees at New Orleans, and Joe Flacco and Baltimore.

If the Dolphins are still above .500 when that stretch ends, they'll be well-positioned for a run at only their second playoff berth since 2001.

"We aren't going to get a whole lot of sleep here over the next month," Coyle said with a laugh.

The goal is to make sure opposing offensive coordinators don't get much sleep, either. Video of the Dolphins' defensive performance at Cleveland might do the job.

Miami had six sacks, made three interceptions and allowed Cleveland to convert only one of 14 third downs. A swarming defense made life miserable for Brandon Weeden, and the Dolphins will need the same sort of pressure against more proven QBs in the weeks to come.

"We hit the quarterback a bunch of times Sunday," cornerback Brent Grimes said. "Any time you can do that, it will put the halt on a lot of offensive attacks."

The performance was just what Coyle and coach Joe Philbin envisioned from their front seven, starting with strong performances by the ends. Pro Bowler Wake had 2½ sacks, Vernon applied constant pressure from the other side, and first-round draft pick Jordan came off the bench to earn his first NFL sack.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/96589 ... ush-scheme

Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:19 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: DC Kevin Coyle created a package named "speed"
I don't know if it will happen or not, but I can see that this could be a nightmare for opposing QBs. I hope it is, because that could well be needed to carry us to the playoffs.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:32 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I'd like to see some PFF numbers on Odrick from the last game but I think we'd be much more effective with Starks getting a good bit more playing time

Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:15 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Most teams call there dime defense "speed"

Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:37 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

It similar to what the New York Giants use to do with Tuck, JPP, Osi and Kiwanuka. I think they use to call it their NASCAR package.

I like it. The Dolphins have the versatility to play against power teams and have the speed now to put a package of pass rusher out there on obvious passing downs.

Last edited by phinsfansc on Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:51 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

49ers did a lot of that. I recall them playing against Manning a few years back and standing up the entire line and constantly shifting them. Really crazy packages can do some serious damage but are only good for a game or two.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:15 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Manhattan wrote:

But ours is speedier.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:14 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

FINesse wrote:
Manhattan wrote:

But ours is speedier.

You are so silly they are the speediest thing on the planet earth, faster than light. Why do you have it as your task in life to consistently under appreciate the Phins. Not sure why you cant be positive about them at least once in a while?

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:08 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Steve Zissou wrote:
I'd like to see some PFF numbers on Odrick from the last game but I think we'd be much more effective with Starks getting a good bit more playing time

Odrick graded out higher than Starks as a pass rusher (2.3 vs 1.4). Starks graded out higher against the run (0.9 vs 0.3). Overall, Odrick graded out higher (1.8 vs 1.5).

Starks had 2 sacks, 1 hit and 1 hurry, but Odrick had 3 hits and 5 hurries.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:30 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Right on. Preciate ya, Rich

Hits & Hurries don't show up in the box score. I guess the rotation we currently have is working for now. I know one time I thought we would get the Pee Wee dance but Odrick came just short of the sack

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:57 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

FINesse wrote:
Manhattan wrote:

But ours is speedier.

A dime defense is full of cornerbacks and safeties. I am sure they don't pack the punch that a defensive end does.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:26 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]