View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] 
 ESPN Insider: Mel Kiper's 4 Round Miami Dolphins Breakdown 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post ESPN Insider: Mel Kiper's 4 Round Miami Dolphins Breakdown
Mel Kiper wrote:
Miami Dolphins

Top needs:
NT, OLB, WR, FS, G, TE

First round (12):
DT Dan Williams

Second round (43):
No second round picks

Third round (73):
OLB Eric Norwood

Fourth round (110):
TE Tony Moeaki

Summary:
Williams is a no-brainer as an interior presence for a team that needs help in that area. He has the chance to be dominant.

Before the Marshall trade, I had Miami taking a wideout in Round 2. Now they have their man. The Ted Ginn Jr. experiment simply hasn't worked.

Norwood is an enigmatic guy; he has dominated in some big games -- and has even cracked the Big Board -- but he needs to put it together every game.

Moeaki is a project, a guy who can be explosive but needs to work on blocking.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/ ... id=5080622

Here's the rest of the AFC East ....

ESPN Insider (Mel Kiper) wrote:
New England Patriots
Top needs: OLB, WR, ILB, TE, RB, DE
First round (22): LB Sergio Kindle
Second round (44, 47, 53): RB Jahvid Best, TE Rob Gronkowski, DL Linval Joseph
Third round: No third-round picks
Fourth round (119): LB Thaddeus Gibson
Summary: Kindle fits the profile of a long OLB with solid speed and range, plus room to grow into his body. An ideal fit for coach Bill Belichick's system in the way players like Willie McGinest and Mike Vrabel have been. He's not an outstanding pass-rusher, but his versatility is more important. Best is a home run threat, and this is an offense that needs to start considering new weapons with Randy Moss' age and Wes Welker's knee. Gronkowski is a big-time talent at TE, although he missed the 2009 season with an injury. Gibson is a great value out of Ohio State. Maybe a year early in the draft, but that's a plus for the Patriots.

++++++++++++

New York Jets
Top needs: OLB, DE, FS, WR, CB, OL, PK
First round (29): DE Everson Griffen
Second round (61): WR Jordan Shipley
Third round: No third-round picks
Fourth round (124): CB Terrence Johnson Summary: Griffen has a chance to be a terror in the Rex Ryan system. He has great size mixed with superior athleticism, and most importantly, his best days are ahead of him. Think Terrell Suggs and Adalius Thomas. Ryan can do similar things with Griffen. Shipley is a sure-handed slot target whom Mark Sanchez should grow to depend on in the way Colt McCoy did. I like Johnson for CB depth behind Darrelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie. He's a sleeper.

+++++++++++++++

Buffalo Bills
Top needs: T, QB, NT, WR, OLB, RB
First round (9): OT Bryan Bulaga
Second round (41): QB Tim Tebow
Third round (72): WR Damian Williams
Fourth round (107): TE Anthony McCoy
Summary: The Bills should do the smart thing and upgrade at tackle with Bulaga. Even if Jimmy Clausen is still there, Bulaga is a guy who can upgrade the pass protection from day one. I don't see the Tebow pick as a reflection of him being ready. He's not. Someone will reach on his potential. He needs a long time to figure it out, but his intangibles are off the charts and you can't put it past him. Williams is perhaps the most refined route-runner in the draft. McCoy is a pro-style TE out of USC and continues to improve. He has showed an ability to get down the field, not just work underneath.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:33 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: ESPN Insider: Mel Kiper's 4 Round Miami Dolphins Breakdown
If Miami takes Dan Williams at 12, I will not post on these boards ever again.

Unfortunately for you guys, it aint happening. ;p

Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:51 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Dan Williams seems way overrated to me. I think we need to trade down if that is the best available pick on the board.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:59 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

i think a trade down is the way they will go and get the 2nd round pick back

Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:02 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

I agree that I'd hate the Dan Williams pick...

and if the Jets get Jordan Shipley I will cry.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:57 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Yes trade back if we want him he will still be there at 24. So lets make that deal with Philly and move back then get there 2nd. Never pick a guy just cause he is there and you know you can get him later.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:07 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Let's hope that trade down opportunity materializes. If not and if he is available, I think Derrick Morgan will be the pick.

I like Eric Norwood as a player, but he simply does not fit the size prototype the Dolphins look for at OLB.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:17 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Phins Rock wrote:

I'm praying for Williams then. In fact, I'm doing voodoo or santeria or whatever I need in order for Miami to draft him.

Even if he is a bust, I will love the pick. :ann0y:

Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:31 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Even I, an Iowa fan, would cry if Miami took Moeaki in the 4th. The guy gets hurt just thinking about moving.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:05 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I would hate to see Dan Williams be the pick at #12, I would rather trade down and get more draft picks and if Williams isn't there then take Terrence Cody in the 2nd round.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:07 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Iowafin wrote:
Even I, an Iowa fan, would cry if Miami took Moeaki in the 4th. The guy gets hurt just thinking about moving.

LOL.

One reason why Parcells picks big players is because he feels they can take the pounding better in the NFL. My guess is that anyone with injury issues at the college level probably will not be drafted .... unless they were first or second round talent that fell because of injury issues.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:53 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Not sure which I'd hate more on a personal level, the Pats getting Kindle or the Jets getting Ship. I'd not be able to root for 2 of my favorite Ex Horns. Also, add me to the "no to Dan Williams unless we trade down" group.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:22 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

I guess I'm the only one who wants us to pick McClain at 12. I would be happy with Williams, but I don't think Sparano or Parcells wants a guy who takes plays off at a position like NT.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:28 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I still think that the Phins try and trade down, but if we do pick at 12 i thought it would be between McClain and Earl Thomas. After hearing all this love for major wright, i think if we pick at 12, it's going to be McClain or the BA OLB. Unless we try and load up and shock the nFL by taking Dez or CJ.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:10 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

when the hell did williams take plays off, im from tennessee and have been a vol fan for 30 years never missed a game , and he is easily one of the best dt i have seen, this taking plays off crap is for the birds, even in the senior bowl he was having a impact more than cody, cody is a 2 down guy who has work ethic issues not williams

Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:35 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

i am a pretty big vols fan, and williams is definitely a force to be reckoned with at nt. i just dont like drafting a nt at the number 12 position in the draft.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:23 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

i understand that it was not part of my arguement, mine was just to the comment about williams taking plays off , that didnt happen

Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:59 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I also hope the Fins are able to trade down from #12, but I can understand them taking Williams there if they are unable to trade down........I would also imagine they may take Morgan or Pierre-Paul if they have to stay at #12.

I really doubt Eric Norwood would be selected in round 3.......he isn't even close to being the size the FO likes to see at OLB.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:33 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Personally, I would like to see us complete our defensive secondary and draft a free safety. Either Eric Berry or Earl Thomas, in that order. Or if someone like Joe Haden is still available, and we want to move either Will Allen or Sean Smith to free safety, that works well too.

As far as Dan Williams, I would be happy with that pick if we were picking in the 20s. But at #12, if we are taking a lineman, I'd rather see us take Bryan Bulaga the OT. We could put him at RT and move Carey inside to RG. We would have the most dominant offensive line in the NFL if we did that. We would dictate the battle up front all day long with that group and be the best running team in the NFL.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:40 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

We have Bell at SS and Clemmons at FS, currently they are the only 2 Safety's on our roster..
How we can possibly go to round 5 before picking one is beyond me...

I like the Williams pick at 12, but using the 3rd rounder on an OLB and leaving the safety's bare? Doesnt sound too good to me. I guess we can hope the offense clicks and we can score alot of points, cause our defense looks weak with those picks...

I think they could trade down and get williams around 20 - 25, pick up another 2nd and get a Safety...

Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:05 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

NoleFin wrote:
I guess I'm the only one who wants us to pick McClain at 12. I would be happy with Williams, but I don't think Sparano or Parcells wants a guy who takes plays off at a position like NT.

I want McClain at 12 also, now that we are for sure not taking Dez Bryant I have to believe Denver will take him and McClain should be there for us.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:26 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:
We have Bell at SS and Clemmons at FS, currently they are the only 2 Safety's on our roster..

Tyrone Culver. Nate Ness. One would argue that Jason Allen is a safety. Heck, most think Sean Smith is a safety. Regardless, those are not the only two at safety.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:28 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Iowafin wrote:
10acjed wrote:

Tyrone Culver. Nate Ness. One would argue that Jason Allen is a safety. Heck, most think Sean Smith is a safety. Regardless, those are not the only two at safety.

I was reading on NFL site for our roster, just noticed Culver and Ness...

Anyway, at least we have Bell... Hopefully Dansby/Crowder will stop thos big plays that cost us all those games last year...

Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:31 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Iowafin wrote:
10acjed wrote:

Isn't Ness basically camp fodder? Smith is not going to S any time soon, and the FO seems intent on letting Allen play the same position for a while, and it's not S. Too bad he didn't pan out as a S, 'cause he's probably the best athlete of the bunch, but it is what it is. That leaves us with Bell, Clemons and Culver, realistically. Clearly, we add one in the draft and maybe when the training camp cuts start coming, or sign a vet after the draft (like a certain free agent from New Orleans?).

Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:43 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer/NFL Pick 'Em Champ
Phinfever Blog Writer/NFL Pick 'Em Champ

Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

I'm praying for Williams then. In fact, I'm doing voodoo or santeria or whatever I need in order for Miami to draft him.
Even if he is a bust, I will love the pick. :ann0y:

:)

Kiper has forgotten more than I will ever know about the draft, but even in light of Phinsy's pledge, I hope the draft is...
#12 Earl Thomas or trade down and recoup the 2nd pick (Marshall) in a very deep draft. If we can get a #20-25 pick and a 2nd Rder for our #12, you'd have to like it. Our main needs imho are FS, NT and OLB (in that order).
There are several guys at both S and DT positions who are first-two round talents. I want us to get Thomas if I had druthers, but multiple high picks are good news in deep drafts.

Yes, Phinsy, that means if I had the choice for the draft pick I wouldn't take Williams. However, I advise you not to sweeten the deal like that, bro!
:) :ann0y:

Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:10 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I was on the McClain bandwagon until I saw some highlight video of how poorly he tackles. I've never seen a guy tackle so high. He won't get away with that in the NFL. I think he has sloppy form and he doesn't play very fast. I think he is brilliant and knows the game inside and out, but that's not enough for me to spend the 12th overall pick on.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:53 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I've got to say I'm a little dissapointed in Kiper. He has wide receiver rated ahead of free safety on our list of needs. Either he has gotten some insider information that our staff is very happy with Chris Clemons or he just got a prescription of some serious smoke from Ricky? Yes we do need a nose tackle, but our team has traditionally taken that position late in the draft. I see Jeff Owens from Georgia as a much more realistic player for us to draft to address the middle. Here is my list of needs I think our team needs to address. Keep in mind I'm basing this off the fact that we released Joey Porter and have yet to resign Jason Taylor.
#1 - Pass Rush Outside Linebacker
We are currently without both of our top two sack men from last season. I understand that Cameron Wake and Charlie Anderson will likely see increased roles this year, and that will help out our pass rush this year, but you can't deny that we've got some major room for improvement in that area.
#2 - Ball Hawk Free Safety
Gibril Wilson was a strong safety impersonating a free safety in my opinion. He was unable to adequately back up our two budding cornerbacks. I know our staff is happy with Clemons progress, but I just can't shake the feeling that we'll never really stop getting burned by the Patriots and Jets until we address the secondary once and for all.
#3 - Nose Tackle
With Ferguson out until the middle of the season, we've got a huge hole here, but I think it's one that can be fixed with a later pick than #12. Parcells has always had the ability to find quality nose tackles later in the draft. I think nose tackle has to be a lesser need only for the fact that it's usually more difficult to find a quality pass rusher or free safety later in the draft. Yes there are exceptions, but in my opinion it's just easier to find quality nose tackles later in the draft. If we do decide to take a nose tackle in the first I hope we can find a trade partner and trade back with the intention of recouping the pick we lost for Marshall.
#4 - Tight End
Unless Fasano is able to return to form and give our offense a boost then we really need to explore our options when it comes to picking up a pass catching tight end. I was hoping we were going to shop at the Denver bargain store once more and pick up Scheffler but that didn't happen. So maybe we use a mid-round pick and try out someone like Graham from the U?
#5 - Wide Receiver
With us picking up Marshall, I think we did ourselves a huge favor. Yes we did let Ginn go, but that only means we swapped Ginn for Marshall in my mind. We've got guys like Hartline, Camarillo, and Turner who are fighting for playing time right now. I say you bring in a couple more guys for camp and maybe draft someone and "let the chips fall where they may" so to speak. In my mind I think we're ready to have a much better season through the air than we did last year.

Let me conclude by saying that I'm sorry for ranting. But isn't this why they created the internet? Anyway, these are just my thoughts, I'm sure the Trifecta will go in a completely different direction. Not to mention the season will probably play out much different than anyone could have predicted. Either way, I'm excited for the draft and I'm pumped for this upcoming season.

Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:36 am

wkloiber13 wrote:
I've got to say I'm a little dissapointed in Kiper. He has wide receiver rated ahead of free safety on our list of needs. Either he has gotten some insider information that our staff is very happy with Chris Clemons or he just got a prescription of some serious smoke from Ricky? Yes we do need a nose tackle, but our team has traditionally taken that position late in the draft. I see Jeff Owens from Georgia as a much more realistic player for us to draft to address the middle. Here is my list of needs I think our team needs to address. Keep in mind I'm basing this off the fact that we released Joey Porter and have yet to resign Jason Taylor.
#1 - Pass Rush Outside Linebacker
We are currently without both of our top two sack men from last season. I understand that Cameron Wake and Charlie Anderson will likely see increased roles this year, and that will help out our pass rush this year, but you can't deny that we've got some major room for improvement in that area.
#2 - Ball Hawk Free Safety
Gibril Wilson was a strong safety impersonating a free safety in my opinion. He was unable to adequately back up our two budding cornerbacks. I know our staff is happy with Clemons progress, but I just can't shake the feeling that we'll never really stop getting burned by the Patriots and Jets until we address the secondary once and for all.
#3 - Nose Tackle
With Ferguson out until the middle of the season, we've got a huge hole here, but I think it's one that can be fixed with a later pick than #12. Parcells has always had the ability to find quality nose tackles later in the draft. I think nose tackle has to be a lesser need only for the fact that it's usually more difficult to find a quality pass rusher or free safety later in the draft. Yes there are exceptions, but in my opinion it's just easier to find quality nose tackles later in the draft. If we do decide to take a nose tackle in the first I hope we can find a trade partner and trade back with the intention of recouping the pick we lost for Marshall.
#4 - Tight End
Unless Fasano is able to return to form and give our offense a boost then we really need to explore our options when it comes to picking up a pass catching tight end. I was hoping we were going to shop at the Denver bargain store once more and pick up Scheffler but that didn't happen. So maybe we use a mid-round pick and try out someone like Graham from the U?
#5 - Wide Receiver
With us picking up Marshall, I think we did ourselves a huge favor. Yes we did let Ginn go, but that only means we swapped Ginn for Marshall in my mind. We've got guys like Hartline, Camarillo, and Turner who are fighting for playing time right now. I say you bring in a couple more guys for camp and maybe draft someone and "let the chips fall where they may" so to speak. In my mind I think we're ready to have a much better season through the air than we did last year.

Let me conclude by saying that I'm sorry for ranting. But isn't this why they created the internet? Anyway, these are just my thoughts, I'm sure the Trifecta will go in a completely different direction. Not to mention the season will probably play out much different than anyone could have predicted. Either way, I'm excited for the draft and I'm pumped for this upcoming season.

Don't be sorry for ranting. That was a great post and I completely agree with every single thing you said.

I also think that OLB and FS will be our first 2 selections, whether we trade down or not, and that Miami adresses NT a little later on as they usually do. Jeff Owens is a guy that has been rumored in connection to Miami a lot.

I love Dennis Pitta out of BYU, but unless we trade down out of 12 and re-acquire a 2nd round pick back, I can't see us using a pick on a TE untill we have adressed at least 2 defensive needs.

I think getting a guy like an Andre Roberts in the 4th round could be a great pick up. Miami saw him in person at the Senior Bowl, and he was by far the best WR there. Great route running, catches everything, good after the catch; really a better version of Devone Bess, IMO. He also has very good punt return ability. I think he could come in and compete for a 2 or 3 job right away, and force Miami to cut ties with Turner.

As far as TE, keep in mind that Miami spent a 5th round pick on a developemental prospect in Nalbone last year. They also have spent tons of time developing Haynos and Sperry. I think if they are going to draft a TE it is going to be someone who can come in and use his athleticism to contribute right away; not just another guy to stick on the practice squad.

Also, watch out for SC's boy Scott Sicko. Smaller school guy with a lot of upside. BP and Ireland love that.

Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:01 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

kiper is an overrated pratt. Must admit i would love to have his job though. we lost games last year mainly due to our inability to STOP offenses. We would build leads on GOOD teams and then cave. Mainly on BIG plays. I think Safety and Pass Rush are the key priorities.

Leave Dan W alone and trade down for 2nd round picks. Pick up OSI from the NYG and let's roll.

Rob the rookie out!
:jests:

Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]