View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Nice win...but RT needs to do a better job of seeing Wallace 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post Nice win...but RT needs to do a better job of seeing Wallace
Here was a design quick hit to Wallace....he even has his hands up. As you can see, the CB was over 10yds off...with only a LB within strking distance. Unfortunately, RT refuses to run the play as called and checks off to a covered WR. I'm not sure what's going on here but if he doesn't start getting the ball to Wallace this could be a short bromance. First off...Wallace was singled up with Asante Samuels who gave him this 10yd cushion all day. Heck...Wallace faked a step forward sending Samuels running deep. No excuses, nice win but he has to get his playmaker involved. If I'm the Saints DC...I put a Nolan Carroll type DB on Wallace all game to shadow him (RT won't throw it) and put my best CB on Hartline with the safeties taking away the TEs. You can bet Bill Belichick is watching this and will sit on every short pass.

Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:49 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Nice win...but RT needs to do a better job of seeing Wallace
If I remember correctly at the time, it looked like the play was designed to be run as it was.

That said, it looked like Wallace had some room to work with in a still image, but it's the NFL; we know how quick that will close off. It's 3v1 heading towards Wallace. Clay can't block them all.

Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:12 pm

Yeah but it looked as though this was the called play. Instead of throwing a sure completion he forces a bad throw to Gibson who had a guy right next to him.

Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:32 pm

BTW, go re-watch the game. Wallace was open all day underneath. RT just chose to ignore him.

Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:36 pm

If this isn't begging for a quick hit, there never was one. No safety...Wallace on Asante singled up, 8 yards off.

Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:48 pm

When the game is available on game rewind tomorrow I'll break it down as I always do.

One thing you have to remember is that Asante Samuel has made a career out of baiting QB's. I don't think I've ever seen a CB who even comes close to comparing to Samuel from that standpoint. He'll stay off, off, off....jump right in front. That's what he does.

I think Sherman made Tannehill well aware of that. Maybe too aware of it.

Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:14 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Phins Rock wrote:
When the game is available on game rewind tomorrow I'll break it down as I always do.

One thing you have to remember is that Asante Samuel has made a career out of baiting QB's. I don't think I've ever seen a CB who even comes close to comparing to Samuel from that standpoint. He'll stay off, off, off....jump right in front. That's what he does.

I think Sherman made Tannehill well aware of that. Maybe too aware of it.

I'll be interested to see that breakdown. Junkie brings up a good point tho, if we don't win these games then our playmakers not being utilized become a hot topic. & at the very least it shows that RT isn't ready to recognize all that he has. Even if Asante is baiting then theres ways around that single coverage if RT & MW are on the same page

Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:34 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

They played one safety deep in center field all day long, Nolan dared us to throw deep.

Yesterday he was 68.6%, thats nearly 7 out of 10 passes caught, 13 of which went for a first down. Some how, some way, the other 7 guys who caught a pass were open enough to get the QB's attention. Wallace & RT obviously have some things to work on, maybe the big name WR needs to humble himself and realize whos team this is..

One thing that has been repeatedly pointed out about Wallace that seems to be overlooked is the fact that he is a 2 - 5 catch a game guy. Always has been

He had 5 thrown to him yesterday

Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:10 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

BTW, go re-watch the game. Wallace was open all day underneath. RT just chose to ignore him.

The reality is we have NO idea what is called in from Sherman to Tannehill and what the play was designed to do, so IMO it is hard to break down a play unless you know what is truly going on. The picture still may look obvious, but there is always more to it for the fan on the sideline.

Sure Tannehill could throw more to Wallace, but IMO he cannot be the star every week and he isn't always going to get as many touches, but as long as others are and we are scoring points and winning that is all that matters.

Every week the opposition game plans around Wallace when we have several contributing weapons. For me, I am not getting hung up on why Wallace doesn't get the ball a lot. He IS going to have some monster weeks, mark my word.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:25 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

The first play looks like it could have gained a few yards... but I agree with Phins Rock on the second. Samuel is known for breaking quickly on the ball and baiting QBs into throws.

That being said, if I remember correctly, Tannehill won the game. Not the defense, not the running backs, but Tannehill.

So maybe we should have these stills focus on other areas of trouble, such as the run defense or the run and pass blocking...

Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:32 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
The first play looks like it could have gained a few yards... but I agree with Phins Rock on the second. Samuel is known for breaking quickly on the ball and baiting QBs into throws.

That being said, if I remember correctly, Tannehill won the game. Not the defense, not the running backs, but Tannehill.

So maybe we should have these stills focus on other areas of trouble, such as the run defense or the run and pass blocking...

Oh boy, here comes another footnote about Tannehill defenders attacking the source!

Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:14 am

jammer wrote:
Rich wrote:

Oh boy, here comes another footnote about Tannehill defenders attacking the source!

This time he'll say that he received Al Qaeda-like terrorist threats from the Tannehill Cult Members.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:42 am

Quote:
They played one safety deep in center field all day long, Nolan dared us to throw deep.
... oh know they had ONE safety deep???? The Phins should've quit.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:50 pm

Rich wrote:

Surprise I disagree. This team, as proven yesterday, will go as far as RT takes them. Right now, he's making the plays underneath but has made very few plays downfield. Just like Pennington in 2008 who physically couldn't exploit the deep half of the field, RT will need to in order to beat teams down the road when it matters. You're not going to beat many great teams by dinking and dunking the ball down the field. You've got to show you can beat them deep to keep those safeties at a respectful distance. Like I said, if I'm the DC for NO...I simply put a body on Wallace, man coverage all day, and then focus on the real threats on the Miami offense. Wallace is an expensive decoy and RT treats him that way. Through 3 games he has like 10 catches? I'm pretty sure that Hartline, Gibson and Clay have had a game where they've been targetted almost as many times. RT needs to take off the training wheels, buy time with his legs and exploit the defense.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:56 pm

NFLJunkie wrote:
RT needs to take off the training wheels

Absolutely... the guy that engineered a game winning drive against a conference championship finalist needs to take off the training wheels.

Until he consistently has games like Peyton Manning did last night, I won't be satisfied.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:09 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

We have played THREE games so far. I truly believe that Mike Wallace will get plenty of chances. The Dolphins will game plan Wallace in more and this past game against Atlanta,Tannehill is taking what the defenses give him and whatever he saw looking over Wallace's way, obviously wasn't enough to keep throwing his way.

Hard to argue if he keeps helping Miami win games and just because Wallace doesn't get targeted enough.

For once, Miami actually has a number of weapons, so pick your poison, which is a great luxury to have as Hartline, Gibson, Clay are all making plays when their number is called. Sims and Egnew haven't even scratched the surface, but you can see they can add a threat as well.

Week to week, I am sure the Wallace involvement will change. I pointed out that Brandon Marshall came away with 52 yards receiving when his team threw up 40 on the board. Guys aren't always going to be the star every week and I think Tannehill is doing an excellent job spreading the ball around.

Next week, Wallace will break out and everyone will be happy again......

Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:17 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

NFLJunkie wrote:
Quote:

No they should have altered the game plan so Wallace could get me more fantasy points.. After all, that is all that really matters here are Wallace's stats to fans..

Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:57 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

No they should have altered the game plan so Wallace could get me more fantasy points.. After all, that is all that really matters here are Wallace's stats to fans..

Ha! Ha!

Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:53 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

10acjed wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
Quote:

And let Tannehill get sacked 3 or 4 more times waiting for Wallace to run the deep routes with that solid pass protection Miami has provided through the first 3 games.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:45 pm

10acjed wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
Quote:

You see, now you're starting to make sense.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:05 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

bobby0112 wrote:
And let Tannehill get sacked 3 or 4 more times waiting for Wallace to run the deep routes with that solid pass protection Miami has provided through the first 3 games.

Then run a darn bubble screen or quick slant. How hard is that?

Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:14 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:
bobby0112 wrote:

Then run a darn bubble screen or quick slant. How hard is that?

Maybe Wallace needs to catch more of the passes thrown his way before he complains about how many times he is being targeted per game. Here are the stats for being targeted through 3 games.

Player Targeted Caught %
Hartline 25 18 72.0
Gibson 19 14 73.7
Wallace 18 12 66.7

Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:43 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

that sounds like the Giants gameplan every week.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:30 pm

NFLJunkie wrote:
Rich wrote:

Surprise I disagree. This team, as proven yesterday, will go as far as RT takes them. Right now, he's making the plays underneath but has made very few plays downfield. Just like Pennington in 2008 who physically couldn't exploit the deep half of the field, RT will need to in order to beat teams down the road when it matters. You're not going to beat many great teams by dinking and dunking the ball down the field. You've got to show you can beat them deep to keep those safeties at a respectful distance. Like I said, if I'm the DC for NO...I simply put a body on Wallace, man coverage all day, and then focus on the real threats on the Miami offense. Wallace is an expensive decoy and RT treats him that way. Through 3 games he has like 10 catches? I'm pretty sure that Hartline, Gibson and Clay have had a game where they've been targetted almost as many times. RT needs to take off the training wheels, buy time with his legs and exploit the defense.

I wrote this after a win last week and it proved to be prophetic tonight. The Saints sat with tight coverage and jumped the short stuff. Tannehill couldn't get the ball past the LBs most of the evening. Wallace looks like he is disinterested in playing for Miami. His half-hearted patterns need to find their way to the bench in favor of someone else. He's no longer a threat because of how little he and RT connect and tonight he ran a couple of crappy patterns that caused INTs. He's become the Reggie Bush of 2013....a tremendous talent who is under-utilized by the brain dead Sherman. The 3rd and inches early on set the tone early as Miami took on the persona of their powder blue uniforms. They were gashing the Saints on the ground...running straight at them. So naturally out of an I set with a fullback..you run the old student body left play. I felt like puking. It was gutless. Unfortunately it didn't get any better. Miami was still in the game despite a bunch of mistakes at the half. The Saints made all the right adjustments and Miami made...none. The gutless play on offense infected the defense. I think Sherman and Coyle were sharing bad aura because instead of aggressive defense on 3rd and a country mile....we get the prevent....which then couldn't prevent anything other than getting off the field on 3rd down. I had to laugh at the 3rd and 20 conversion. You've got like 8 guys in the secondary.....and their guy runs for 20yds. Anyway, enough said. They ate humble pie tonight and weren't going to beat the Saints on MNF in NO. My problem is I was thinking about Bill Belichick and the evil empire doing this to Miami in a few weeks. Sitting on the short routes and playing the safeties over the top. Miami has to stay with the running game when its working. Shake it off..3-1 is still a good start.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]