View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Quality vs. Quantity 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Quality vs. Quantity
Boston Globe wrote:
Quality vs. Quantity
by Albert Breer
April 18, 2010

The 2007 Dolphins draft shows just how little having picks can be, because it's easy to screw it up.

The Ted Ginn trade underscored that this week.

Ginn, the ninth pick in 2009, went to San Francisco for a fifth-round selection. Miami's first second-round pick that year, John Beck (41st overall), was cut last summer. The other second-round pick, C Samson Satele (60th overall), was dealt for a sixth-round pick. And the club's third-round pick in 2007, Lorenzo Booker (71st overall), was dealt two years ago for a fourth-round pick.

So the Dolphins had four of the top 71 picks in 2007, and wound up with fourth-, fifth- and sixth-round picks for their trouble. Pretty stunning. Miami did get nose tackle Paul Soliai, who subbed for Jason Ferguson last year, but he and punter Brandon Fields are the only players left from that draft for Miami.

Overall, New England and Miami (which was under different management) had 19 selections in 2007. That only three are left of those is pretty incredible, and it works against the argument that stockpiling picks is the way to go.

Why do I raise the point? Because I think the _______ need difference-makers -- and not rank-and-file roster guys -- out of this draft. So it'll be interesting to see their approach to making sure they get them.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/p ... _quan.html

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:09 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Quality vs. Quantity
yeah, we also had a poor FO compared to the big tuna and crew

Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:13 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

rhoads30 wrote:

I agree,I mean you can tell that Parcells liked nothing about that draft class. As soon as he got the job his 1st act was to fire Cam. The next was he looked at who Cam drafted and started there next. He traded Booker,Beck,cause he knew they wernt his type of players,next was Samson who blocked about 40% of the time. Then the last,Ginn he gave him a chance last season. So I dont think it was the fact we had more picks,it was who was making those picks for us.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:18 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

phinphan-n-buffalo wrote:
rhoads30 wrote:

I agree,I mean you can tell that Parcells liked nothing about that draft class. As soon as he got the job his 1st act was to fire Cam. The next was he looked at who Cam drafted and started there next. He traded Booker,Beck,cause he knew they wernt his type of players,next was Samson who blocked about 40% of the time. Then the last,Ginn he gave him a chance last season. So I dont think it was the fact we had more picks,it was who was making those picks for us.

The point being miss is 3 of those 4 are still in the NFL & wanted. When you draft players who fits one style & then fire the people who run that style & bring in a totally different idea, will generally mean you have wasted a draft class or two.

It should have come to no ones surprise that the '07 draft is just about done. Beck was not their type of Qb. Booker was not their type of RB ( Which is what surprises me with the Spiller talk ) & basically Ginn was not their type of Wr ( However, they did play him - out of position, but they did play him )

Past draft mistake have haunted Miami for years & based on last years draft will again in the selections of White & Turner in Rd. 2 & 3. The Wr they just traded for was passed on twice by Saban to select Derek Hagan ( 3rd ) & Joe Toledo ( 4th ). They passed on Boldin. They passed on P. Willis/D. Revis. They jumped the gun on a trade down in '98 & it cost them Randy Moss & they ended up with camp fodder for their efforts.

The reason Miami has struggled is simple. Bad personal decisions. Every team has them, but Miami has had more than their fair share. Coaching turnover is another reason. When you go 2 Years with Saban, one year with Cam, then you will end up with different styles. Its cost Miami dearly.

Pick 12 is huge & if they trade down ( Which in this draft is probably a good move ) then they need to definitely hit on those picks.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:59 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Dphins4me wrote:
phinphan-n-buffalo wrote:
rhoads30 wrote:

The point being miss is 3 of those 4 are still in the NFL & wanted. When you draft players who fits one style & then fire the people who run that style & bring in a totally different idea, will generally mean you have wasted a draft class or two.

It should have come to no ones surprise that the '07 draft is just about done. Beck was not their type of Qb. Booker was not their type of RB ( Which is what surprises me with the Spiller talk ) & basically Ginn was not their type of Wr ( However, they did play him - out of position, but they did play him )

Past draft mistake have haunted Miami for years & based on last years draft will again in the selections of White & Turner in Rd. 2 & 3. The Wr they just traded for was passed on twice by Saban to select Derek Hagan ( 3rd ) & Joe Toledo ( 4th ). They passed on Boldin. They passed on P. Willis/D. Revis. They jumped the gun on a trade down in '98 & it cost them Randy Moss & they ended up with camp fodder for their efforts.

The reason Miami has struggled is simple. Bad personal decisions. Every team has them, but Miami has had more than their fair share. Coaching turnover is another reason. When you go 2 Years with Saban, one year with Cam, then you will end up with different styles. Its cost Miami dearly.

Pick 12 is huge & if they trade down ( Which in this draft is probably a good move ) then they need to definitely hit on those picks.

Could not have said it better myself.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:03 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

rhoads30 wrote:

Poor compared to anybody.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]