View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Coach Philbin: (To media) We're Going To Fix The Problems 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Coach Philbin: (To media) We're Going To Fix The Problems
Quote:
OPENING STATEMENT: I want to give credit to Baltimore, their players, their staff. They made enough plays to win the game. They deserved to win the game. They played a very good second half. We did not do a good job, obviously. We took a nice lead at the end of the first half, but didn’t do a very good job playing with a lead. Our guys fought hard and made some plays, but not enough to win the game. ...

(on the last sack of QB Ryan Tannehill and what should have occurred on the play) – “Hopefully a completed pass. I’d hate to be a smart aleck. I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again – the starting point in the passing game is protection. You’ve got to have protection to function. You’re not in the field position where you’d like to take a sack on that particular play.” ...

(on if the pass interference call on CB Brent Grimes was difficult to define against the rules) – “Not if you can understand the rule book it’s not. It’s…those are calls – that’s football. That’s what happens in football. Officials are charged with making calls and that’s what they do.” ...

(on going into the bye week with a 3-2 record) – “[There are] some good, some things really need correcting and working on. I told the team we have an excellent group of men in the locker room and we’re going to fix the problems that we have. We’re not going to sweep them under the rug. We’re going to identify them, and find a way to improve.” ...

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/artic ... 5371749285

Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:39 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Coach Philbin: (To media) We're Going To Fix The Problems
Translation: The OL sux and that was a BS interference call.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:50 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator

Thats good enough for me!

Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:36 pm

Shame he's given us nothing to make us believe him.

Good thing is that next year's offensive tackle class will be the best since 2008.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:08 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Phins Rock wrote:

Good thing is that next year's offensive tackle class will be the best since 2008.

...seriously...where do you think this team is drafting next year. When this team gets healthy on defense...they're going to win 10 games. So it is doubtful they'll get anyone that isn't going to need a few years of coaching.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:19 pm

NFLJunkie wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

...seriously...where do you think this team is drafting next year. When this team gets healthy on defense...they're going to win 10 games. So it is doubtful they'll get anyone that isn't going to need a few years of coaching.

mid-late first round picks need a few years of coaching?

There will be offensive lineman to be had wherever Miami picks in the first round is my point.

Chicago got Kyle Long, (my boy), at 22 in the draft this year and he's been a STUD so far at RG.

It can be done, and especially in next year's class. I have 5 guys listed as 1st round guys already on my board, and I havene't even studied Antonio Richardson and Cameron Irving who are both viewed as first round picks at OT as well.

But the way this team is playing, I don't care how soft the schedule, they're not winning 7 of their next 11 games. Not going to happen with this group up front.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:37 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Junkie what are you talking about? we can draft a tackle at 24th overall and start him right away.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:56 pm

It is rare for a guard to even get drafted in round 1. But premium LT's usually go in the top 10.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:02 pm

NFLJunkie wrote:
It is rare for a guard to even get drafted in round 1. But premium LT's usually go in the top 10.

I think Martin is the long term starter at LT. They'll be looking for a RT, IMO.

Yeatman has made this roster as a OT for a reason...I think he gets playing time at some point this year. Maybe we have something there. Never know.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:04 pm

Well I've not been impressed with Clabo since he took over. He's just not that good. So hopefully someone can step in and step up.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:10 pm

NFLJunkie wrote:

tackles (and guards) get taken all over round 1. David Decastro, Mike Iupati, Michael Oher, Jeff Otah, Duane Brown, Joe Staley, Ben Grubbs, Davin Joseph and Nick Mangold were all recent late 1st round selections.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:10 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joe Philbin said it, so it must be true.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:27 pm

hope there's a genie somewhere that owes him 3 wishes

Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:34 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

This isn't a 10 win team right now, even with a healthier defense.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:34 am

You just lost to last year's Superbowl Champ and a team that is going to be in the NFC Championship Game.... So that is the cup half full. Miami has a few more losses on its schedule...probably 4 to be exact.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:44 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
You just lost to last year's Superbowl Champ and a team that is going to be in the NFC Championship Game.... So that is the cup half full. Miami has a few more losses on its schedule...probably 4 to be exact.

I'm not really basing it on losses alone. New Orleans clicked.

Baltimore is not the same team, didn't really play a good game offensively and gave Miami several opportunities to go for the throat. Have to beat vulnberable teams.

Any decent defense should give Miami fits going forward unless they correct the blocking.

I'm not worried about Tannehill and turnovers. I think the New Orleans game taught him to use the checkdown options and not force throws.

I'm not worried about the receivers. I think they will have their click moment...

But that isn't going to happen if there is zero ground game and limited at best pass protection. We have to assume the defense will not be healthy all year and capable of carrying every game.

Bills, Jets, Bucs...you can probably take them down at home with 17 points. But road games and the others, not the same story. Not if they can scheme easily against the offense.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:01 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

NFLJunkie wrote:

The defending champs lost two of their leaders on defense and had three healthy wide receivers dress on Sunday, not to mention an offensive line that rivals ours as far as bad pass protection, which is why they made a trade for a tackle.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:01 am

...and we had our best defensive player and a starting CB out. Right now, I'm feeling pretty good that when Wake returns and we can get Jordan on 3rd down plays from the right side...that pass rush will be lethal.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:17 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

FINesse wrote:

Thats good enough for me!

I believe him, and I am sure it will be the #1 problem he and Ireland target in the offseason. I am not sure if it can be fixed this year unless a quality offensive lineman falls in their lap before the trade deadline.

Ireland has tried to fix the OL with first round draft picks and free agent additions, but there are still major problems.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:20 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
...and we had our best defensive player and a starting CB out. Right now, I'm feeling pretty good that when Wake returns and we can get Jordan on 3rd down plays from the right side...that pass rush will be lethal.

No doubt it will be huge when Wake gets back. But if we go back to an offense that can only score 17 points per game...well see the last 4 seasons for those results.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:20 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

NFLJunkie wrote:

The defense was exhausted in the 2nd half, yet the game went to the last play. The Dolphins were without their starting middle linebacker (Ellerbe), their starting cornerback (Patterson), their #3 wide receiver was in and out (Carroll), and their best pass rusher (Cam Wake). The team is beat up but are still competitive.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:24 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]