View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 OT: 3 Team Deal, Scheffler Had for a 5th 
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Post OT: 3 Team Deal, Scheffler Had for a 5th
For a 5th round pick?? C'mon man!!

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/bloghead/

Quote:
Eagles Acquire LB Sims From Lions
The Eagles announced today that they have acquired starting weakside linebacker Ernie Sims from the Detroit Lions through a rare three-team deal that also included the Denver Broncos.

The Eagles sent a fifth-round draft pick in 2010 (137th overall) to the Broncos. The Broncos gave tight end Tony Scheffler and a seventh-round pick in 2010 (220th overall) to the Lions, who sent Sims to the Eagles.

In essence, it's a fifth-round pick for a proven starting linebacker.

"Ernie Sims is an impact player at the linebacker position," said head coach Andy Reid. "He brings a lot of energy to our already energized defense. We are looking forward to adding him to our team."

"We are excited to acquire Ernie Sims," said general manager Howie Roseman. "He plays fast, he's aggressive and his style is a great fit for our defensive scheme. He is a leader who was a team captain for the Lions and we are eager to see what he can do in our defense."

This marks the fifth trade of the 2010 off-season for the Eagles and the third for a veteran defensive player (defensive end Darryl Tapp, linebacker Alex Hall). The Eagles now own 10 picks in the upcoming draft - 1st round (24th overall), 2nd round (37, 55), 3rd round (70, 87), 4th round (105, 121), 6th round (200) and 7th round (243, 244).

Sims (6-0, 230) was originally a first-round choice (ninth overall) of the Lions in 2006 and has since played in 59 games (56 starts) for Detroit, totaling 505 tackles, 2.5 sacks, six forced fumbles and one interception. The 25-year-old linebacker played in 11 games (eight starts) in 2009, and compiled 49 tackles and one forced fumble.

Now in his fifth season out of Florida State, Sims was immediately plugged into the Lions starting lineup as a rookie and earned Pro Football Weekly all-rookie honors in 2006 after starting all 16 games and leading the team with 144 tackles. He was named the team's defensive captain for the 2007 and 2008 seasons, starting all 32 games and again pacing the team with 312 tackles during that span.

A native of Tallahassee, Fla., Sims' father, Ernie Jr., played running back at Florida State from 1977-81, and his mother, Alice Bennett, was an All-America sprinter on the Seminole track team from 1980-83.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:55 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: OT: 3 Team Deal, Scheffler Had for a 5th
The Eagles basically got Ernie Simms for a 5th round pick??? WTF???

WOW.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:02 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I wonder if this will soften the Eagles' desire to move up in the first.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:20 am

k-dash wrote:
I wonder if this will soften the Eagles' desire to move up in the first.

Probably make them more likely. They now have yet another playmaker, and are looking to just complete their roster with a big time player at either safety or a dominant force along the D-line.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:26 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I don't get it. Why would the Lions deal Sims for a TE?

Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:52 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Iowafin wrote:

They got tired of his injury issues is what I read on PFT.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:23 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

k-dash wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

They got tired of his injury issues is what I read on PFT.

I heard that he wouldn't resign with the Lions either, so they tried to get value for him while they could.

Phins Rock wrote:
The Eagles basically got Ernie Simms for a 5th round pick??? WTF???

WOW.

It's not like he has lived up to the hype that he had coming into the league. He did play for one of the worst defenses in football though. Maybe Sean Mcdermott will find a way to utilize this kid to his full potential.

Does this trade involving Scheffler set the table for a Greg Olsen trade?

Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:42 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Project86JLL13 wrote:

ha, quoting myself here, but would anybody on here be open to trading Channing Crowder & a 7th for Greg Olsen?

It would almost be the same trade.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:46 pm

Project86JLL13 wrote:
Project86JLL13 wrote:

ha, quoting myself here, but would anybody on here be open to trading Channing Crowder & a 7th for Greg Olsen?

That would be a no brainer, but why would Chicago do that?

Also, how does the Scheffler deal open up the door for Olsen? Just curious as to your thought process.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:53 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Phins Rock wrote:
That would be a no brainer, but why would Chicago do that?

From what I have read and heard throughout radio talk and television, Greg Olsen is being shopped. Plus, Brian Urlacher's injury from last year, when he mangle his hand or arm (?) was a pretty bad one. I can remember a national televised Bears game last year where the commentators were talking about how it might impact his decision about the rest of his career. The Bears backups at the position were just horrible when having to fill in for Urlacher.

Phins Rock wrote:
Also, how does the Scheffler deal open up the door for Olsen? Just curious as to your thought process.

They have plenty of depth at the position in Chicago, and may just have an up and coming star in Kellen Davis. Not to mention they have Desmond Clark, Brandon Manumaleuna, and two others at the TE position. BUT, it's not my thought process.......http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/04/scheffler-trade-could-impact-market-for-olsen.html

Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:09 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

If we can't get a a TE in the draft (I favor Aaron Hernandez from Florida), I hope the Phins explore the options of trading from someone of Olsen's caliber.

Hernandez is likely a mid 3rd-early 4th rounder, but with deals happening the way they have, his stock may have risen.

Would you rather draft a TE in the 3rd or 4th round, or trade for one (possibly in the same mold as the Scheffler one made today)?

Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:15 pm

I see. I don't think Crowder fits their cover 2 scheme though. Crowder is aweful in coverage, especially down the field, which is what an ILB for Chicago is asked to do.

I would have no problem sending a 4th round pick their way for Olsen. No problem at all. If we can trade down out of 12 and regain some 2nd and 3rd round picks back, I would trade our 3rd for him. He's a star in the making.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:18 pm

I really like what the Lions are doing this off season.
I also am trying to understand the thought process in Denver.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:26 pm

FINesse wrote:

It's quite simple really. He is being paid by Bill Bellichick to disembowel the only team that the Patriots have not been able to beat this decade. Therefore, he is getting rid of all of the players that are "good" or better, and replacing them with guys like Renaldo Hill and Kyle Orton, rendering the Broncos pethetic.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:12 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

FINesse wrote:

Stafford has plenty of targets to throw to, but now offensive line to protect him and only an average at best running game to take pressure of the passing game. Kevin Smith needs to stay healthy.

Im a big Stafford fan, always have been. Of the two quarterbacks chosen in the top ten last year, I hope to God that he turns out to be better than Sanchez. He has a lot leaning on his shoulders, as he was drafted to turn a losing franchise around and asked to win games, whereas Sanchez was asked to not lose games.

Back to the point though, Megatron, Bryant Johnson, Dennis Northcutt, Derrick Williams and Pettigrew is quite a receiving corps if you ask me. And now they throw Scheffler and Nate Burleson in as their offseason acquisitions. These are players that, with the arm that Stafford has, can turn this team into one heck of an aerial attack.

Denver pretty much just got rid of their whole 2006 draft class. I am trying to understand the moves as well, but would not be surprised if McDaniels was able to turn that team into a team that competed in the AFC, as he was under the tutelage of Belicheck and was the offensive coordinator of the recrd setting season of the Brady 50td and Moss 23td season.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:16 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Let me get this straight. We need a tight end that can stretch the field. Scheffler is a tight end with good hands and the ability to stretch the field. He was traded along with a 7th round pick for a 5th round pick. We have two 5th round picks. Why didn't we make this trade???
:hithead:

Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:27 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Project86JLL13 wrote:
Project86JLL13 wrote:

i would not object at all, it would be a god send. Crowder is a decent LB but i feel the Trifecta is shopping him quietly because he is not what they feel is there prototypical LB. I think Crowder is one of the last players not to be drafted by the Trifecta still on the roster. Receiving Olsen and getting rid of Crowder.....Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!!

:fart: :grin: :yay:

Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:40 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

didnt crowder just recently sign a decent contract with us?

Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:48 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

rhoads30 wrote:
didnt crowder just recently sign a decent contract with us?

So did Ernest Wilford, Gibril Wilson and Joey Porter.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:08 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

i thought so. i still think we should just address the te position through the later rounds in the draft.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:40 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]