View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 Hey what about Picking up (lb) Brandon Spikes 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Hey what about Picking up (lb) Brandon Spikes
He is 6-3 and he brings the honeydew when he hits...I know he plays inside and we just picked up Dasnby but what if we move Channing back to (olb) and put Spikes in the middle with Dansby...Just my op :???

Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:17 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Hey what about Picking up (lb) Brandon Spikes
he also runs a 5.05 40. there are lineman that run faster. no thanks

Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:25 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Re: Hey what about Picking up (lb) Brandon Spikes
rhoads30 wrote:
he also runs a 5.05 40. there are lineman that run faster. no thanks

Yeah but his game speed is a lot faster than that and if he is still around in the third round and we filled (wr) needs y not Spikes think he would work out well......if I recall Zack was not the fastest out of pads ether....just my op... :???

Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:14 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

zach still ran faster than a 5.05. that is just ridiculous for a linebacker

Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:23 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

rhoads30 wrote:
zach still ran faster than a 5.05. that is just ridiculous for a linebacker

But a lot of his game film shows him moving a lot faster and like I said a late round pick on him wont be all bad I think

Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:26 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

i wouldnt waste a third rounder on him. maybe a fifth or later.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:49 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

rhoads30 wrote:
i wouldnt waste a third rounder on him. maybe a fifth or later.

ok a real late pick on him then it wont coast use much to bring him in any way lol

Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:54 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Stating that his game speed makes him look faster is essentially a mirage. Everybody at every position is faster in the NFL. If you come in to the league that slow it will show right away and you will get slower as you age. Maybe a late round pick-up, 7th or as FA signing.

Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:04 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

40 times are overrated. How often on a football field is a linebacker running 40 yards in a straight line? NEVER.

Look at the guy's production on a football field.

I'd look at him in the third or fourth round, why not? All reports point to him being a great teammate. He makes plays. Speed is something that can be improved over time. Intangibles can't be.

Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:46 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

i would have to say stats are more overrated in college than a ridiculous 40 time. he would barely be able to keep up with linemen in the nfl on a screen, lol

Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:08 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

MNDolfan wrote:
40 times are overrated. How often on a football field is a linebacker running 40 yards in a straight line? NEVER.

Look at the guy's production on a football field.

I'd look at him in the third or fourth round, why not? All reports point to him being a great teammate. He makes plays. Speed is something that can be improved over time. Intangibles can't be.

I agree.....taking Spikes in the 4th round would be a steal, and even if they took him in the 3rd he would do well as the 2nd ILB I believe.

Also I would rather see his 5, 10, and 15 yard times than his 40.......that is about how far a 2nd ILB should be running up and down the field on a play in the 3-4.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:31 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

He won't make it past the 3rd round and I'd be fine with taking him there... the guy is a solid MLB... look at the tape and not the dang 40 time... the kids good.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:22 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The 40 time can be important. Say you want to run a Tampa 2 for a few plays, or as a base for a particular reason. You can't really do that if your linebacker can't get back into the middle third.
You also look at the 40 for 3rd down situations. Do you want your ILB covering a TE 30 yards downfield? Can he keep up if he goes to cover a RB in the flat, but then the RB takes it up field?
The 40 also has split times-10, 20, 40. How fast can he get from 1 point to another, and how long can he sustain that speed (endurance).

To say the 40 isn't important for a LB because he doesn't ever run a straight line for 40 yards is underestimating what a 40 yard dash is designed to test.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:07 pm

Iowafin wrote:
The 40 time can be important. Say you want to run a Tampa 2 for a few plays, or as a base for a particular reason. You can't really do that if your linebacker can't get back into the middle third.
You also look at the 40 for 3rd down situations. Do you want your ILB covering a TE 30 yards downfield? Can he keep up if he goes to cover a RB in the flat, but then the RB takes it up field?
The 40 also has split times-10, 20, 40. How fast can he get from 1 point to another, and how long can he sustain that speed (endurance).

To say the 40 isn't important for a LB because he doesn't ever run a straight line for 40 yards is underestimating what a 40 yard dash is designed to test.

A 40 time at a combine or pro day isn't the same as his 40 time on the field... idk how many times each year we have to go over this process lol

Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:04 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

IamPZ wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

A 40 time at a combine or pro day isn't the same as his 40 time on the field... idk how many times each year we have to go over this process lol

it is when it is that bad though, truthfully it is. guess all we can do is wait and find out.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:50 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

As a huge Gators Fan I have watched every game Spikes has played and I also have pondered the possibility drafting him in the 3rd and moving Channing to OLB as Spikes value has fallen. What most people do not see is that he was just as important to the team and their 2 titles as Tim Tebow was. Spikes has all of the same leadership qualities and play recognition but on the D side of the ball. Plain and simple he is a beast.....just ask Knowshon Moreno and Mathew Stafford. As for his 40 time I am still scratching my head, he is alot faster than that. Another thought I have had would be to draft Joe Haden @ #12 (if available) and move Smith back to FS. I know many are looking to Williams or Morgan @ #12 and I would be satisfied with either, however completing the secondary would eliminate all of the over the top plays we gave up last year. I know I sound like a Gator homer but Haden makes an imediate impact as a shutdown cover corner wherever he lands (I am thinking the Browns).

Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:02 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

CentralFLFinFan wrote:
As a huge Gators Fan I have watched every game Spikes has played and I also have pondered the possibility drafting him in the 3rd and moving Channing to OLB as Spikes value has fallen. What most people do not see is that he was just as important to the team and their 2 titles as Tim Tebow was. Spikes has all of the same leadership qualities and play recognition but on the D side of the ball. Plain and simple he is a beast.....just ask Knowshon Moreno and Mathew Stafford. As for his 40 time I am still scratching my head, he is alot faster than that. Another thought I have had would be to draft Joe Haden @ #12 (if available) and move Smith back to FS. I know many are looking to Williams or Morgan @ #12 and I would be satisfied with either, however completing the secondary would eliminate all of the over the top plays we gave up last year. I know I sound like a Gator homer but Haden makes an imediate impact as a shutdown cover corner wherever he lands (I am thinking the Browns).

I was saying the same thing his game speed is alot faster,plus he knows how to read plays before the snap and he gets a jump on where the ball is going,sound like another (Lb) we had here Zack

Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:12 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Spikes is a great prospect for the middle. If he were to fall into the 3rd round because he can't run fast in tights, well then that just helps us out if you ask me. He may not be an elite athlete but he is a good football player. If you watch this kid play, he's got a lot of upside. Does he need work, sure, but I think he has the potential to contribute right away for us. At first he could be used on special teams and come in occasionally as Crowder's backup. Remember guys, we're talking about Channing Crowder here. I can't even think of a season where he played all year long without getting hurt. So drafting Spikes in the 3rd as insurance would be a good move if you ask me. Heck, he might even be able to take Crowder's job in time.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:15 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

wkloiber13 wrote:
Spikes is a great prospect for the middle. If he were to fall into the 3rd round because he can't run fast in tights, well then that just helps us out if you ask me. He may not be an elite athlete but he is a good football player. If you watch this kid play, he's got a lot of upside. Does he need work, sure, but I think he has the potential to contribute right away for us. At first he could be used on special teams and come in occasionally as Crowder's backup. Remember guys, we're talking about Channing Crowder here. I can't even think of a season where he played all year long without getting hurt. So drafting Spikes in the 3rd as insurance would be a good move if you ask me. Heck, he might even be able to take Crowder's job in time.

Yeah that to but for now just get his playmakeing butt on the field,then we have 2 Gators out there roaming the field,and nobody wants to get bitten by a Gator....lol

Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:22 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Yeah, I guess you could say it's better to have two Gators than one.
:)

Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:43 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

CentralFLFinFan wrote:

You are correct on everything you said about Spikes. However, his stock is falling fast. I would take him with our 4th round pick and not think twice about it.

As far as moving Smith - he's never played safety. Just wide receiver and cornerback. You don't want to put someone who is already talented and succeeding at one position in limbo at another UNLESS you try it out and he excels right away. That being said, a Haden/Vontae tandem would be insane and would technically be better than Vontae/Smith. But we already have our corners at this point.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:10 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Also...Spikes is receiving some of the same criticisms Siler did a few years ago. Siler was taken late by the Chargers, started at special teams and has worked his way into a starting ILB job and will get a nice contract when the time comes. Spikes is BETTER than Siler.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:11 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

haden @ 12 is taking him too early, and smith wont play safety because he is a liability in the tackling game.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:49 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

onlygators wrote:
Also...Spikes is receiving some of the same criticisms Siler did a few years ago. Siler was taken late by the Chargers, started at special teams and has worked his way into a starting ILB job and will get a nice contract when the time comes. Spikes is BETTER than Siler.

Nice to see somebody else say it,I have been thinking of us picking Spikes up for a while. I think he will make a good ILB for us,he hits the holes,reads plays very well,ooh and the man hits. I wold say a big YES if he is there in the 4th we take him. I think if we do a lot of ppl will be happy when they see this kid play.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:55 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I think looking back on the draft years from now, whatever team gets him in the fourth will be pleasantly surprised - he's definitley a second- or third-round pick. If he is there when the Dolphins pick - taking him is a must, IMO.

Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]