View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] 
 Mortenson: Phins could trade for Osi Umenyiora 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Mortenson: Phins could trade for Osi Umenyiora
I've thought about Osi for a while now as a potential solution to look into. He's unhappy in NY, and for whatever reason that mairrage is coming to an end. I believe he still has plenty left in the tank, and does have the athleticism to play in a 34 D.

I don't think we end up making the trade, but it's interesting as Mortenson is usually right on the money with Dolphin news, (friends with BP).

Quote:
On The Mort Report on ESPN Radio, I mentioned 3 teams for possible Giants' Osi Umenyiora trade: Dolphins, Rams & Panthers

http://twitter.com/mortreport

Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:19 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Mortenson: Phins could trade for Osi Umenyiora
For what? Certainly not picks of any sort.

Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:21 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

One of the picks we acquire for Ronnie Brown?

Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:31 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

fonzy wrote:
One of the picks we acquire for Ronnie Brown?

So essentially Brown for Umenyiora? No thanks. Miami can keep Brown and get somebody the same or better in the draft.

Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:33 pm

Mortenson says he expects a 2nd round pick for Osi, and that the probability he gets traded is better than 60-40.

Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:36 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

well we have no second round pick this year or next, so I guess we are out of the mix

Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:30 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

nbrewer22 wrote:
well we have no second round pick this year or next, so I guess we are out of the mix

I believe the thinking behind it is that we will be able to trade down, thus giving us a second pick to use on Osi. Personally, I'd rather get the 2nd rounder and draft someone :yay:

Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:38 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I'd give a third for him.

Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:11 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Phin wrote:
I'd give a third for him.

The giants probably wont, but with the market the way it has been lately for star players, who knows. Add that to the fact that this draft class is loaded with pass rushers, and he may go for a 3rd rounder.

Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:17 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I agree think we would have to give to much to get him. If we do trade Brown, hope we dont but if we do then we should get picks for him.

Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:28 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I just can't see us trading more picks to acquire him when its been said that we are trying to acquire more picks

Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:49 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

nbrewer22 wrote:
I just can't see us trading more picks to acquire him when its been said that we are trying to acquire more picks

Yeah it just wont make any sents at all. The more picks the better

Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:51 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Offer Smiley straight up. Umenyiora is unhappy in NY and NY needs help at the guard spot. Throw in a 6th or 7th.

We can't trade away the entire first half of the draft. I think Omar Kelly's speculation is correct that Miami is confident they can move down and recoup a 2nd rounder, and I do think that Smiley and Brown are fair game to get 3rd round picks. Go ahead and trash me for saying that about Brown, but I think the brass sees some talent in the draft and figures a healthy 3rd round back is a great pairing with RW, and of course you still have Hilliard and Cobbs to contribute.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:08 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

jammer wrote:
Offer Smiley straight up. Umenyiora is unhappy in NY and NY needs help at the guard spot. Throw in a 6th or 7th.

We can't trade away the entire first half of the draft. I think Omar Kelly's speculation is correct that Miami is confident they can move down and recoup a 2nd rounder, and I do think that Smiley and Brown are fair game to get 3rd round picks. Go ahead and trash me for saying that about Brown, but I think the brass sees some talent in the draft and figures a healthy 3rd round back is a great pairing with RW, and of course you still have Hilliard and Cobbs to contribute.

I think you would be lucky to get a 2-3rd round pick for Ronnie because of his injury history, bad luck or not.

Plus, the Giants are a 4-3 defense, so would Miami be looking at Osi as a DE or OLB? He does not have the size to be a DE in a 3-4, and while Osi moves very well, he has never been an OLB in a 3-4 scheme. Pass rusher deluxe he is, but this does not make a lot of sense.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:22 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Our DE's are pretty good. What we need is pass rushing OLB that is solid on the run as well. Osi I think could do it, but I doubt he can cover at all which is also an OLB requirment.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:12 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Post Osi trade talks
Quote:
There's a rumor the Dolphins are intrigued by the idea of trading for Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora. Apparently the NYGs have taken a sort of liking to South Florida's Jason Pierre-Paul and if that liking develops into them drafting him, that makes Umenyiora not only endangered, but practically extinct on the roster. Umenyiora played at Troy. Bill Parcells regularly looks at players from Troy and, indeed, picked DeMarcus Ware from Troy in 2005. Thus these trade rumors.

But this one is a head-scratcher, if you ask me. So the Dolphins would be interested in giving up a draft pick for Umenyiora after a 29-tackle, 7-sack season even when a team from New York has decided he's no longer a fit. But the Dolphins are apparently not as interested in giving up zero draft picks for Jason Taylor after a 42-tackle, 7-sack season even when a team from New York has decided he'd be a great fit. Yes, I know Umenyiora is 28 years old and Taylor is 35 years old. But I also know the draftee it costs to get Umenyiora would come cheaply and be maybe 21-22 years old.

On the positive side, if the Dolphins do indeed swing this deal for a fifth-round pick, they will have effectively traded Ted Ginn Jr. for Osi Umenyiora. That sounds like an upgrade to me. Ronnie Brown for Osi Umenyiora? Both Brandon Jacobs and Ahmad Bradshaw are recovering from various surgeris. Of course, so is Brown. We'll see.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolph...#ixzz0lZD3MmnW

Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:00 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Post Re: Osi trade talks
So now any player from a school Parcells once drafted a player from are considered a possibility...

that narrows it down :ann0y:

Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:06 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

For someone who is supposedly close with Parcells, Mort has been wrong a LOT lately when it comes to the Dolphins.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:07 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

If the Giants really like Pierre Paul and he is available at 12 then swap first rounders with them and have them throw in Osi.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:18 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

IMNSHO Osi is not worth swapping and not getiing an additional pick. The fins don't need another d-end especially a "progress stopper".

Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:23 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Of all the rumors floating out there, this one seems to make the least sense to me (which may mean that it's the most likely to happen, lol). Trading anything (except maybe Smiley) to NY for Umenyiora is hard for me to swallow. Nothing against the player; he's been productive, but we have young, ascending (imo) players at that position already and this is not a position of need. Would Osi make us better? Maybe. Should it be a priority? Umm, no.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:00 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

This rumor makes little to no sense. I would sign JT over trading for Osi any day of the week. Why give up picks for a position that doesn't really need filled (DE).

Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:30 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I was wrongly thinking of Osi as a DE, but of course we'd project him as an OLB in our system. Still doesn't make sense when, as Phin just said, we could have JT to be a stopgap this year at no draft expense.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:31 pm

Phin wrote:
This rumor makes little to no sense. I would sign JT over trading for Osi any day of the week. Why give up picks for a position that doesn't really need filled (DE).

He's be an OLB in our Defense, Phin.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:51 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
Phin wrote:

I understand PR, but he isn't an OLB, he is a DE. I don't think he has the coverage skills when called upon. Just my opinion mate.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:03 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

phinsfansc wrote:
jammer wrote:

I think you would be lucky to get a 2-3rd round pick for Ronnie because of his injury history, bad luck or not.

Plus, the Giants are a 4-3 defense, so would Miami be looking at Osi as a DE or OLB? He does not have the size to be a DE in a 3-4, and while Osi moves very well, he has never been an OLB in a 3-4 scheme. Pass rusher deluxe he is, but this does not make a lot of sense.

My thoughts exactly...this deal makes no sense. Miami needs a OLB even if they resign JT.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:05 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

PADOLFAN wrote:
IMNSHO Osi is not worth swapping and not getiing an additional pick. The fins don't need another d-end especially a "progress stopper".

I couldn't agree more, we need draft picks and more draft picks.......NO MORE CURRENT PLAYERS...ONLY DRAFT PICKS.....WE ARE GETTING YOUNGER EVERY YEAR THANKS TO THE TRIFECTA!!!!

Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:44 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Phin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
Phin wrote:

I understand PR, but he isn't an OLB, he is a DE. I don't think he has the coverage skills when called upon. Just my opinion mate.

Neither did JT when Saban converted him to an OLB.

Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:25 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rams ready to push for Osi?
3:58
PM ET
Osi Umenyiora | Giants | Interested: Panthers?, Dolphins?, Rams? Top Email

Update: The Rams -- who are mentioned below by both Chris Mortensen and Matt Mosley -- might be ready to make an even stronger push for Osi, given that they traded away DL Adam Carriker on Tuesday afternoon. We're not aware of any bad blood between Umenyiora and Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo (Spags was the defensive coordinator for the Giants before his current gig). Let's take a look back, though:

During the past season and into this offseason, Osi Umenyiora has been upset about his role for the New York Giants' D in 2009. At one point he threatened to retire if he was going to be used in the same way this upcoming season, although that was viewed as hyperbole. Then there was a report that Osi was back to being a happy camper as the team convened for voluntary workouts, but a lot of doubt has been cast on that report. We probably won't get the whole story unless and until Osi is no longer with the team.

Over the weekend, ESPN's Chris Mortensen tweeted that there is a 60-40 chance Umenyiora is traded, and on Monday, Mike Garafolo of the Newark Star-Ledger passed along word that the St. Louis Rams, Carolina Panthers and Miami Dolphins have been mentioned as teams interested in the DE. Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News passed along word from two sources that the team is not "actively shopping" Umenyiora, but that doesn't mean they won't listen to other offers. It's believed that a second-round pick is the price tag, which places the Dolphins in a bind (they don't have one), as well as the Rams (their second-rounder is the first of Day 2, and might be worth more).

ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter doesn't know exactly what's going to happen with Umenyiora either, but he does think that what the team does in the early rounds this weekend could give us a clue:

Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]