View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Source: Incognito 'shocked, betrayed' 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Source: Incognito 'shocked, betrayed'
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/99485 ... han-martin

Embattled Miami Dolphins guard Richie Incognito believed he was friends with teammate Jonathan Martin and feels "shocked" and "betrayed" by Martin's claims of harassment, a source with knowledge of the situation told ESPN.com Friday night.

Incognito was suspended indefinitely last Sunday for conduct detrimental to the team after Martin presented evidence -- including threatening voice mails and text messages -- to the Dolphins, the NFL and the NFL Players Association. The Dolphins are currently under investigation by the NFL, while both Martin and Incognito are away from the team.

"It's probably a combination of totally blindsided and a bit betrayed," the source said of Incognito's current state. "He's shocked. He can't believe this happened and thinks it probably could have been avoided."

According to the source, Incognito viewed himself as a "tough-love older brother" to Martin. Incognito gave Martin a hard time but also was protective of the second-year player, the source said.

Multiple sources confirmed to ESPN on Monday that Incognito used racial epithets and profane language toward Martin on multiple occasions. In a transcript of a voice mail message from April, Incognito referred to Martin as a "half n----- piece of s---," and added, "F--- you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you."

Incognito received overwhelming support in Miami's locker room following the suspension.

The reception toward Martin, meanwhile, was lukewarm. Some Dolphins veterans even expressed dislike for the way Martin handled the situation.

"I think if you have a problem with somebody -- a legitimate problem with somebody -- you should say, 'I have a problem with this,' and stand up and be a man," Dolphins offensive tackle Tyson Clabo said. "I don't think what happened is necessary. I don't know why he's doing this. And the only person who knows why is Jonathan Martin."

Martin left the team on Oct. 28 following a lunchroom incident and hasn't returned. Martin hired lawyer David Cornwell, who released a statement Thursday that claimed the player was the subject of harassment and verbal attacks from multiple Dolphins teammates.

"Jonathan endured harassment that went far beyond the traditional locker room hazing," Cornwell said in the statement. "For the entire season-and-a-half that he was with the Dolphins, he attempted to befriend the same teammates who subjected him to the abuse with the hope that doing so would end the harassment. This is a textbook reaction of victims of bullying. Despite these efforts, the taunting continued."

In an unscientific survey conducted by team reporters for ESPN.com's NFL Nation over two days this week, Incognito does not have the same level of support from some of his NFL peers that he has received from teammates. Three players participated from each team surveyed, with 72 players in all asked three questions. The players taking part were granted anonymity.

To the question of which player they would rather have as a teammate -- Martin or Incognito -- 15 of the players who responded (20.8 percent) said they would rather have Incognito as a teammate, while 34 (47.2 percent) said they would rather have Martin as a teammate.

However, 23 of those who responded (31.9 percent) said they would want neither as a teammate. In all, the results showed that 57 of those who answered (79.2 percent) would not want Incognito as a teammate.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:53 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Source: Incognito 'shocked, betrayed'
Even though more "facts" need to come out, as of right now I still side with Incognito. I agree that it is unnecessary to use harsh language and the "N" word and if it were Richie that made comments about the sister, BUT, I have to believe from all the testimonies that these were two guys that spent tons of time together and I just have a hard time believing Richie was constantly beating on him mentally and not being like he said a big brother type. Incognito is a jokester a guy that is constantly messing with EVERYONE.

I still think no matter the case, Martin should have handled this differently as a grown man. It will be interesting what the NFL investigation finds and how they handle this once that is over.

That will obviously say alot more and maybe I will have to eat crow with my current thoughts, but Richie will have lost a MILLION DOLLARS in pay through this 4 game suspension (just heard that on ESPN) and not getting to play ball during this time and possibly for the rest of his career.

Martin on the other hand, right or wrong on how he handled this matter, unless Jim Harbaugh hires him or a guy like Belicheck, I think his career is over.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:59 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Source: Incognito 'shocked, betrayed'
Finhead34 wrote:

That will obviously say alot more and maybe I will have to eat crow with my current thoughts, but Richie will have lost a MILLION DOLLARS in pay through this 4 game suspension (just heard that on ESPN) and not getting to play ball during this time and possibly for the rest of his career.
In the end Miami may have to pay him for these games.

Finhead34 wrote:
Martin on the other hand, right or wrong on how he handled this matter, unless Jim Harbaugh hires him or a guy like Belicheck, I think his career is over.

Richie may have a better shot at resuming his career more than Martin. Can't see anyone else trusting Martin

Currently my opinion is Martin is looking for a way out of football & keep his money. I may be wrong, but with what I have heard so far & the lack of support from his teammates speaks volume to me as to his intention.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]