View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ] 
 Sherman needs to go 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post Sherman needs to go
Sherman's offense has yet to play a complete game. We're usually treated to one or two quarters of good decisions and execution only to be followed by 1 or two quarters of bad or awful play. You can blame a lot of things but ultimately it falls on the OC. I think my final straw is watching our 3string OL play better than our starters. As soon as Philbin sprouts the temerity to fire him, the better

Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:24 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Sherman needs to go
NFLJunkie wrote:
Sherman's offense has yet to play a complete game. We're usually treated to one or two quarters of good decisions and execution only to be followed by 1 or two quarters of bad or awful play. You can blame a lot of things but ultimately it falls on the OC. I think my final straw is watching our 3string OL play better than our starters. As soon as Philbin sprouts the temerity to fire him, the better

I know its redundant Junkie, but Sherman didn't underthrow and overthrow Wallace. He didn't run backwards, he didn't show zero inability to shed a tackle after the catch, he didn't drop a TD pass or 2nd down pass to keep the clock moving in the 4th quarter.

I realize he's not the best OC, but his players aren't executing consistently.

Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:36 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

NFLJunkie wrote:
You can blame a lot of things but ultimately it falls on the OC.

This is pretty much how I feel too. Our team has not progressed this season, despite the glaring monotonous short comings.

When Tanne threw the pick in the Saints game & Sherman's head was in his hands, he should have realized he was asking our QB to do things that he isn't ready for. Instead he compounds the problem by stubbornly refusing to find a way to get our RBs & other playmakers involved so the pressure isn't squarely on Tannehill to fly or die.

Also, who's to blame for a QB that can run a 4.5 staying in the pocket to accept entirely too many sacks?

Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:41 pm

jammer wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

I know its redundant Junkie, but Sherman didn't underthrow and overthrow Wallace. He didn't run backwards, he didn't show zero inability to shed a tackle after the catch, he didn't drop a TD pass or 2nd down pass to keep the clock moving in the 4th quarter.

Yes but he did only run the deep pass twice in the 2nd half and he never went back to the deep post at all. He wasted downs in critical situations. This isn't a knee jerk reaction to the Panthers loss....this is based on the fact he has fielded a lousy offense and had a year to put key players in place and he hasn't. It's also play calling. He doesn't have one complete game where Miami scored 14 per half. Today's 2nd half shutout is a re-occurring theme

Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:43 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

jammer wrote:

You're not wrong but I think you're only looking at the small picture. How many times do these things need to go wrong before a coach realizes that he isn't making calls that work? How many games does it take for an OC to see that his gameplan will not get wins in games that shouldn't even be as close as they are?

Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:47 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:

Ain't no doubt about that. Sherman and the coaching staff share in the blame, but they're not the only reason.

Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:21 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Steve Zissou wrote:
jammer wrote:

You're not wrong but I think you're only looking at the small picture. How many times do these things need to go wrong before a coach realizes that he isn't making calls that work? How many games does it take for an OC to see that his gameplan will not get wins in games that shouldn't even be as close as they are?

Not looking at the small picture at all. Sherman's play calling has led to problems, I won't deny that. But the players aren't executing on simple plays earlier in the game. Dropped passes, missed throws, penalties...it seems this team can't execute throughout the game and always positions themselves for a nail biter. This has been happening since the NO game.

We can point to several games where a 3rd down play call is idiotic. But for the most part, its on the players. Think of how many games you can go back and point to a kill moment in the 3rd Qtr Miami missed. I can list a ton.

Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:26 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Its not like Sherman hasn't dialed up plays that allow for success. The players just don't execute.

Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:28 pm

I disagree he hasn't dialed up plays that work otherwise the offense wouldn't be so inept. The OL is the case end point in this discussion

Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:58 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Sherman is more of a cancer to this team than even Ireland. That is a factinion people, not opinion. There is no scenario where Sherman could be fired too soon after today. The sooner, the better.

Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:55 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Sorry, its just too easy to blame Sherman. Cop out at this point. Look at the QB, OL, RB, WR...they just aren't executing. Maybe a QB guru and some new OL pieces change things but review and be honest with yourself. Could the players be doing more?

Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:16 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

The fact that HIS players who are pretty TALENTED cant execute kinda specks louder that it is Sherman's problems. If he cant coach them up.

Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:17 pm

jammer wrote:
Sorry, its just too easy to blame Sherman. Cop out at this point. Look at the QB, OL, RB, WR...they just aren't executing. Maybe a QB guru and some new OL pieces change things but review and be honest with yourself. Could the players be doing more?

Okay Jammer who do you blame for this fiasco of an offense? They're in the bottom of the league in rushing. They're in the last 5 in scoring. They're in the last 5 in yards. So if you don't think this offense is jacked up tell me your thoughts. "too easy to blame Sherman"..... lol. Tell me your theory on why our scrub OL is playing better than our starters. I'd love to hear how that isn't Sherman's Fault either. So please, expound on your opinion alittle because its easy to throw rocks at someone elses without offering a solution.

Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:30 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

NFLJunkie wrote:
jammer wrote:

Okay Jammer who do you blame for this fiasco of an offense? They're in the bottom of the league in rushing. They're in the last 5 in scoring. They're in the last 5 in yards. So if you don't think this offense is jacked up tell me your thoughts. "too easy to blame Sherman"..... lol. Tell me your theory on why our scrub OL is playing better than our starters. I'd love to hear how that isn't Sherman's Fault either. So please, expound on your opinion alittle because its easy to throw rocks at someone elses without offering a solution.

Well, I'm not jammer, but, my guess would be as far as O-Line goes, because San Diego and a Johnson-less (lol) Panthers team isn't the best d lines we have played against going by team sack leaders. Buffalo, New Orleans, Baltimore, Cincinnati, New England, and even Cleveland have more sacks (Through week 10). I know sacks aren't the only aspect to the D-Line, but I think that's what we are judging them by.

Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:04 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

With an offensive line pieced together with other teams' rejects, and the lack of any kind of a running game, I don't see how this game or any of the next games affects Sherman. He put 16 points against the best defense in the NFL. I just don't see how any complaints going forward will affect him in a negative way unless we lose Tannehill. Right now Tannehill is carrying this team even if he has difficulty with the deep pass.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:10 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

THis is how I feel too. Sherman is the easy scapegoat when plays don't work, but I counted at least 3-4 touchdowns Miami did not execute.

This is about killer instinct and following through with the EXECUTION of plays more than saying Mike Sherman needs to go. Yeah, of course he makes play calls in each game that you scratch your head on, but there is a lot to play calling besides us coach potatoes firing our criticism at times.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:34 am

Wannstedt and Turner could've gotten 10 wins out of this team..guaranteed. So I guess it will take another year of 7-9, 8-8 after this one to open some eyes.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:53 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Maybe we can get a better draft pick...oh, nevermind, he'll sit anyway.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:54 am

I like the fact we field a scrub OL which OUTPERFORMS the guys we had in there as starters and they get a free pass. One has to wonder if one of our drafted CBs isn't a decent player just needing to hit the field.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:56 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

The player execution argument is pretty weak at this point.

It's been proven time and time again what coaching can do in the NFL.

Just ask San Francisco, or how about Kansas City?

Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:38 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:

The solution is to get better players, not sure why that needs to be explained in great detail.

Scrub o-line better than the starters? How many rushing yards has Miami had in the last two weeks behind the scrub o-line? Tannehill is still getting sacked at an alarming rate.

How many pics have you posted of Tannehill not seeing open guys down field? How many times has he missed huge opportunities to put points on the board? How many times have we seen Miller try to run backwards and pull a Barry Sanders only to set up 2nd and 15? How many times have we seen Clay, Gibson or Matthews drop a critical pass?

Come on man. You can get angry about people challenging your opinion but quite frankly the only evidence of Sherman being clueless was in the beginning of the losing streak. How can he call a balanced game when the running back has limited vision and the line can't block? How can he dial up more down the field strikes when his QB consistently misses?

I agree that Sherman isn't anything special. He can be blamed for the players he elected to roll with. But he can't will his players to execute on the field. Guys are getting open for big plays.

Miami got rid of Dan Henning because it was his fault Henne stunk. Well, Brian Daboll didn't change that at all. Insert Matt Moore and you have a spark. Is Harbaugh a worse coach this year? Or has his QB been figured out and his flaws exposed. Sound familiar?

Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:49 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

And yes, I realize I've argued that coaching is a problem as well. I'm not denying that.

But the more I watch and review the more I realize the players just aren't executing in clutch situations. Buffalo, NE, TB, Car...all of those games should have been sealed by the offense by the end of the 3rd quarter. How many of those games featured the defense on the field forever only to have the offense come out and produce 3 plays and 1 minute off the clock?

Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:54 am

jammer wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

The solution is to get better players, not sure why that needs to be explained in great detail.

Scrub o-line better than the starters? How many rushing yards has Miami had in the last two weeks behind the scrub o-line? Tannehill is still getting sacked at an alarming rate.

How many pics have you posted of Tannehill not seeing open guys down field? How many times has he missed huge opportunities to put points on the board? How many times have we seen Miller try to run backwards and pull a Barry Sanders only to set up 2nd and 15? How many times have we seen Clay, Gibson or Matthews drop a critical pass?

Come on man. You can get angry about people challenging your opinion but quite frankly the only evidence of Sherman being clueless was in the beginning of the losing streak. How can he call a balanced game when the running back has limited vision and the line can't block? How can he dial up more down the field strikes when his QB consistently misses?

I agree that Sherman isn't anything special. He can be blamed for the players he elected to roll with. But he can't will his players to execute on the field. Guys are getting open for big plays.

Miami got rid of Dan Henning because it was his fault Henne stunk. Well, Brian Daboll didn't change that at all. Insert Matt Moore and you have a spark. Is Harbaugh a worse coach this year? Or has his QB been figured out and his flaws exposed. Sound familiar?

Go look at the sack figures from Cincy to now and then examine previous games...they're down. Go look at rushing figures....they're about the same...like I said...scrub OL is out producing starters.
So we have inferior players. We broke the bank in the off-season and let talented players go to bring in these players. So who is responsible for that? Do you think the coaches had any input? When sherman rolled out that jumbo formation against Cincy...have you seen 6 OL guys on the field since? ... why not? Yesterday..he threw two deep passes in the 2nd half. One RT over threw and the last one to end the game. Why? It was open all day. The defense was giving him those throws and he refused to take them. Do you think any other OC would do that? Sorry guy, good coaches give their team the best chance to win. They make mistakes...but not consistent ones. Sherman is consistently bad. His offense is bad. They've had a year to fix this and they made it worse.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:04 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
Go look at the sack figures from Cincy to now and then examine previous games...they're down. Go look at rushing figures....they're about the same...like I said...scrub OL is out producing starters.
So we have inferior players. We broke the bank in the off-season and let talented players go to bring in these players. So who is responsible for that? Do you think the coaches had any input? When sherman rolled out that jumbo formation against Cincy...have you seen 6 OL guys on the field since? ... why not? Yesterday..he threw two deep passes in the 2nd half. One RT over threw and the last one to end the game. Why? It was open all day. The defense was giving him those throws and he refused to take them. Do you think any other OC would do that? Sorry guy, good coaches give their team the best chance to win. They make mistakes...but not consistent ones. Sherman is consistently bad. His offense is bad. They've had a year to fix this and they made it worse.

I have no idea who has final say on who is and is not signed in the offseason or how much input Sherman has. He might say the type of player he needs and Ireland takes care of the rest. Don't know.

The 6 OL approach worked when you had an athletic OT/former TE who is now injured for the rest of the season.

Sherman can't throw the deep ball. If it is open and Tannehill doesn't chuck it then its on Tannehill. Is it possible Sherman called fewer deep passes out of fear that they might lead to Tannehill interceptions? Is that a consistent thing every week to limit turnovers? Can't answer that.

The line got better when McKinnie got here and Clabo had a fire lit under his rear via demotion. I agree with you on Garner not playing sooner but was Incognito worse because he had to make up for/assist Martin?

The scrub unit has only been in place since last week so I don't know why the Cincy game matters. And the past two weeks the ground game has been as bad or worse than the full group of starters.

I'm not disagreeing with you on replacing Sherman (and everyone for that matter). But I think better player, or simply put a better QB, would be making Sherman and Philbin look a lot better right now.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:18 pm

He didn't run the 6 OL formation when the guy was healthy the following week.....excuses, nothing more. In the Cincy game we lost both Martin and Incognito that same week and McKinnie was signed for two days.....best OL play of the season

Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:49 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
He didn't run the 6 OL formation when the guy was healthy the following week.....excuses, nothing more. In the Cincy game we lost both Martin and Incognito that same week and McKinnie was signed for two days.....best OL play of the season

I'm not excusing Sherman for anything. But I'm not sold on the idea that getting rid of him is suddenly going to make the current crop of starters any better. A new OC is not going to help Tannehill's deep pass, Wallace's hands, Miller's vision, Hartline's ability to fall down upon impact or Sturgis's accuracy.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:54 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I think we'd have 7 wins right now if our line was good and we had a running game.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:16 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I love reading everyones posts. This is always a great subject because I didnt like the Sherman pick when I heard he was the OC. Tanny was our QB pick based on many things one being he knew Sherman's "system". What I fail to see is any "system"! There is no consistency except bad running plays and inconsistent game plans. Every team has players that drop balls. Every team has players that dont execute plays all the time. However, play calling and play design goes miles to making life easy for an offense. Our offense works too hard to get yardage. Each team has talented players and yes they need to make plays but the coaching is what makes plays easy. Its the OC's job to take the talent you have and play to their strengths. He has tried to fit square pegs into round holes all season.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:43 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

His overall work the past year and a half begs him to be let go. When you don't have the talent to run your system, you adjust to the talent that you have.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:58 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The coaching is miserable. The team typically gets beaten in the 2nd half and that comes down to the half time adjustments. The Dolphins get bested most of the time by better coaching.

against the Saints....outscored 17-7 in the 2nd half.
against the Ravens.....outscored 20-0 in the 2nd half.
against the Pats....outscored 24-0 in the 2nd half.
against the winless Bucs....outscored 12-7 in the 2nd half.
against the Panthers....outscored 14-0 in the 2nd half.
against the Bengals....outscored 17-12 in the 2nd half and two of our points came on Wake's safety.
against the Bills....outscored 7-6 in the 2nd half...and the Bills stink.

Yes...some games they didn't get outcoached, but the trend is alarming and it is pronounced when we play good teams....

Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:19 pm

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
The coaching is miserable. The team typically gets beaten in the 2nd half and that comes down to the half time adjustments. The Dolphins get bested most of the time by better coaching.

against the Bengals....outscored 17-12 in the 2nd half and two of our points came on Wake's safety.

Yes...some games they didn't get outcoached, but the trend is alarming and it is pronounced when we play good teams....

I'm not sure those stats are exactly correct but I think the fact is he has fielded an inferior product now for almost 2 straight seasons. From my perspective, it is worse than last years version. You throw in the fiasco along the OL and I think that unless he finishes the season strong, this is his last year.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:35 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

How many times in NFL history has the backup came in and played better than the starter. It's not like it's new. The game brings out things practice doesn't. To put the blame on Mike Sherman for not recognizing this is wrong. Why not start with the O-Line Coach, maybe? Simple as that. Not saying Sherman deserves the get out of blame free card, but he isn't the reason these guys went unrecognized.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:58 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

DanRambo wrote:
How many times in NFL history has the backup came in and played better than the starter. It's not like it's new. The game brings out things practice doesn't. To put the blame on Mike Sherman for not recognizing this is wrong. Why not start with the O-Line Coach, maybe? Simple as that. Not saying Sherman deserves the get out of blame free card, but he isn't the reason these guys went unrecognized.

Well man I think it was obvious our O-line would be a weakness before the season started. But thats more of Irelands fault than the O-line coach. But I would also think a good coach would see this obvious problem & find a way to keep RT from being sacked at excess.

My point is more that Sherman hasn't the ability to recognize the talent, or lack thereof, & then make the necessary changes. Maybe it is a simple assumption to think things would be improved if he were replaced. But I do know that we haven't improved this season from what I've seen. & instead of being professional enough to acknowledge that his scheme is easily pegged as the game goes on, Sherman continues to make the same mistakes, the same calls, run hopeless plays, & not find a way around our the issues that costs us games.

Have any of our 5 wins inspired a good bit of confidence in this offense? Personally its made me question Tannehill because he hasn't been strong enough to say "I'm sick of the way things are going. I'm taking over!"

Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:42 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Check the box scores on Yahoo. I think this is accurate and it tells a story. A story about bad coaching.

{quote="NFLJunkie"]
FrustratedFinFan wrote:

I'm not sure those stats are exactly correct but I think the fact is he has fielded an inferior product now for almost 2 straight seasons. From my perspective, it is worse than last years version. You throw in the fiasco along the OL and I think that unless he finishes the season strong, this is his last year.[/quote]

Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:29 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

When inside the 10 yard line why aren't they calling PA rollouts? I've been asking this for years. It always ends up in a TD throw or the QB scrambling to the pylon.

I also just noticed that both deep completions to Wallace were PA rollouts and the throws were better than I previously thought. This needs to be called consistently over the next 5 games.

Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:56 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

jammer wrote:
Sorry, its just too easy to blame Sherman.

Just like its too easy to blame Obama.

Doesn't make it wrong.

Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:51 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Ha

Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:21 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

jammer wrote:
When inside the 10 yard line why aren't they calling PA rollouts? I've been asking this for years. It always ends up in a TD throw or the QB scrambling to the pylon.

I also just noticed that both deep completions to Wallace were PA rollouts and the throws were better than I previously thought. This needs to be called consistently over the next 5 games.

Ah man theres a list of those "Why aren't they's?" going back to last year. I mean, Sir Regginold Bushington already has 40 receptions for almost 400 yards with the Lions. I assume Stafford is pumped to have him around. Think Sherman should've been more interested in keeping Reggie around or finding a way to use him for the sake of Tannehill? I'll go a step further. Think Reggie wishes he would've stayed in this offense?

Rich wrote:
jammer wrote:
Sorry, its just too easy to blame Sherman.

Just like its too easy to blame Obama.

Doesn't make it wrong.

Think Martin's "health issues" will be covered under the new plan? Or does Obamacare want him to pay out of pocket for a specialist?

That was a classic line Rich

Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]