View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 DC Coyle falls on his sword & takes the blame 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post DC Coyle falls on his sword & takes the blame
Armando Salguero wrote:
Defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle, meanwhile, did something that we so very rarely see out of head coach Joe Philbin. In honest and straightforward fashion, Coyle addressed a coaching mistake.

He did so in discussing the defense Miami played on the next to last play of the half when the Dolphins played their secondary deep -- with defenders lined up at the goal line -- but leaving a wide gap between those defenders and the line of scrimmage.

The Panthers completed a short pass and gained 28 yards in seven seconds to set themselves up for a field goal. What should have been a 16-3 halftime lead turned into a much more tenuous 16-6 lead.

Coyle said that with a QB such as Cam Newton, capable of throwing a 60-yard pass with ease, he thought the Panthers might take a shot at the end zone.

"And with that mindset, I made a call that in retrospect I wish I could get back," Coyle said. "There was a penalty and I should have changed the call in my opinion after the penalty and he was back a little further. Not that he couldn't have thrown the ball to the end zone, which he could have.

"We were playing for him to throw the ball deep and it was my mistake. It wasn't the players in any way, shape, or form."

Compare that honesty to the answer Philbin gave about the same play and situation after the game:

"Actually, we brought some pressure, to be quite frank with you," Philbin said. "They made a good play, credit them. The ball was on the ground a little bit, they picked it up and made a nice play. The receiver did a smart thing and got out of bounds. It was a good play by them. Absolutely a good play."

By the way, given another chance today, Philbin again stressed what a good play it was by Carolina and defended the Dolphins approach -- thus defending an error.

Coyle, by the way, praised the work done by Nolan Carroll and Phillip Wheeler in Sunday's game.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:04 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Re: DC Coyle falls on his sword & takes the blame
Night and Day. Preciate ya Coyle. It was a dumb call haha

I simply don't understand Philbin. That is one odd duck. I don't just mean in this case but when I see his face on the sideline . . . I just don't get him

Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:27 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Its pretty obvious the reporters do not like Philbin's approach or respect him all that much.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:46 pm
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host

jammer wrote:
Its pretty obvious the reporters do not like Philbin's approach or respect him all that much.

He has bought this on himself. He has the personality of a ROCK.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:37 pm
Phinfever VIP!
Phinfever VIP!

Hey Coyle,

Where were the blitzes in the final Carolina drive. Blitzing earlier worked and flustered Newton. Rushing 4 got you the big L.....

Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:21 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I just don't understand why you would change something that was working most of the game. I also don't understand why you would hand another team your timeouts when at best they are going to have a FG attempt. The coaching leaves me shaking my head.

Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]